Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My custom interior GTO wanabe thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My custom interior GTO wanabe thread

So my car is still down and iv been wanting to do something different and have been bouncing ideas around.

Well my girlfriend bought a GTO and after really looking at the interior of a GTO i decided I wanted to try and make my trans am as much like a GTO inside as I could.

So today where i started is the A-piller panel, GTO have a black cloth head liner and A and B piller panels. I Plan to do the head liner in the same material but after I finnish both A-pillers.

The fabric im using is from a arts and craft store i can't think of the name and I bought just 1 yard to play with and so far its not to bad.

Then I found some 3M adhesive to apply the fabric to the plastic

adhesive put on..

Attached

After about a hour of pulling, cutting and pasting I ended up with this.

And heres just a mock up for today

So i have to pull out some lines a little more and then do the driver side with the gauge pod.. So that should be a task.

Other things I have planned are..

Moving the window/doorlock buttons to the center console.

The dash, door panels wraped in black vinyl and the door panels will have accent color or fabric aswell as the holes for the buttons shaved or filled.

accent colors on the center console or I might try and fit a GTO center console inside if i can find one.

And GTO seats with the GTO removed to say T/A

Black carpet, and lots of other things that are still bouncing around in my head.

My question for you guys is though, What should my accent color be? the car is black with chrome wheels, The motor is Pontiac blue and the interior lights have been changed over to blue leds.

Blue stands out to much to be the accent color, but silver like the GTOs have doesn't blend with anything else but still does the job.

Or i was thinking carbon fiber wrap as the accent?

thoughts?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting...
Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

i'm intrigued, keep posting pics, i'd really like to see what you end up with
Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no offense it looks like **** take ur time and do it right
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

well it looks like **** because its not done, After its all smooth and I clean the dust and such off the fabric it should look alot better.

I'll keep posting as I do more
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should glue the fabric on the face of the pillars or whatever part you're doing, first. It looks like you're starting off on the inside edges that nobody sees. If you start on the face, then you can make sure that your wrinkles are out.

The idea seems like you're taking your time doing the wrong side of the pillar, first. Just my two cents. I've worked on a couple of custom wrapped pieces on different cars so I'm just offering constructive criticism.

One more thing, you need to be careful as to which adhesives you use with different types of fabrics. Some tend to bleed through more than others. Don't saturate the fabric or piece you're working on. And cut the fabric to fit the part. It's easier to work with that way. All-in-all you're on the right track. Just take your time, man. It'll look killer after said and done.

Last edited by latindragons; 08-23-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by latindragons
I think you should glue the fabric on the face of the pillars or whatever part you're doing, first. It looks like you're starting off on the inside edges that nobody sees. If you start on the face, then you can make sure that your wrinkles are out.

The idea seems like you're taking your time doing the wrong side of the pillar, first. Just my two cents. I've worked on a couple of custom wrapped pieces on different cars so I'm just offering constructive criticism.
The adhesive im using almost seems to make a stain on the fabric i have yet to try and get out. It said it wouldn't leave a mark but it does.

So because of that the center is free to move, the inside of the panel that no one sees is where i did my attaching then, stretched the fabric to the other side and attached it there aswell.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I get your method and it seems to be sound. However, with most pieces that have intricate curves like that, working from the center-out is actually simpler. It could be also that the fabric doesn't have the stretch that you'd need for something like that. Just take your time. Glue down sections at a time and you'll eliminate wrinkles and bleed-through. Good luck bro!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

looks like poop, interior fail thread

sorry broham
Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

no offense, but re do it man. it looks pretty bad, although it could look killer if done right.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is that a second gen under the yellow cover
Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

im waiting to see the lock/window buttons moved... that might be a good idea. ashtray maybe?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep needs flattening. Hopefully some real experts like lt4vert come in, but a LOT of people warn against that adhesive (specifically that one, but aerosols in general too)

Ideas definitely there, but you did start with one of the harder panels too. keep the pics comin.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Very interesting
Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
is that a second gen under the yellow cover
good eyes, my dads 79 z28

What is a better adhesive too use?

And ill try and work from the center on some other panels and see how it goes.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id do a search for adhesive just in this subsection, there was a thread a few months back with plenty of valid-seeming opinions. Seems all the pros go with one or two types of roll on.

I used to use that stuff on carpeting audio stuff, and it did okay, but I know if i were in your shoes id want better longevity out of it. Gtos arent saggy by now, after all
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Alright with the help of the girlfriend I got the passenger panel all smoothed out, and she started on the driver side one. The driver side is bigger task because I have a gauge pod and wanted it to match, so its going to take a while to get perfect.

I started on the center console for the window switches.

I cut the base of the cupholder out with my trusty dremal, sanded the area down. And applied some adhesive promoter, then mixed 3M panel bonding adhesive and glued the base to the top. This is some really strong stuff and is what we use to glue roofs and 1/4 panels back to cars.

I am going too have to let it dry overnight because i didnt have my mixing gun and had to do it by hand. Then I will sand it out and add too it, creating a smooth surface. Then cut the hole for the switches to sit in, and figure out a way to apply them.

Now my car is a M6 so I wanted it to dish down into the center console abit so my arm doesnt hit the switches wall driving.

If my center console looks a little funny, this is a LT1 car and its a little different for those who are wondering.

Pics

Old 08-25-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That A-piller looks good, please confirm those feet doesnt belong to you, please
Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Great attempt! Keep us updated...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting. i'm curious to see how the buttons will work/look like in the center console.

following...

Quick Reply: My custom interior GTO wanabe thread