Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cheap, Effective, Quick projector HID's... for trans ams

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I looked on rallylights website and it says the 60mm hella headlamp module is a halogen projector. You're not supposed to put an hid bulb in a halogen projector, am I right?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

back from dead but I dont think it would be the worst thing to do.
hell , I run HID`s in reflector housings and they`re fine , projectors shouldnt give you any trouble , HID`s dont produce as much as heat either ..
Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

That really didn't answer my question. I was about to order the projectors and noticed it said halogen projectors. It's the same ones that are used in the bls kit, but I just realized they were halogen. Wasn't sure if it made a difference in how the light was projected.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of the Hella projectors. I did a conversion on my old LT1 Camaro and really was unhappy with the output. Granted, they were phenomenal compared to stock, but not what I was hoping for.

Here's my old Camaro with 90mm Hella projectors (these are the Halogen version, H7 if I recall correctly? Which are half the price of the H9/D2S HID version) and some Blazer fogs:

Low:

High:

This time around, in the TA, I am going to run some Blazer MH1's or some FX-R, E46, E55, or other bi-xenon with better output and a better cutoff pattern.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

BLS uses the 60mm Hella HALOGEN projectors (they only make halogen projectors for retrofit purposes). SIGNIFICANTLY better[/different] light output than the 90mm projectors pictured above (that are cut-off due to the bumper covering part of it...).

Here is a video I made comparing HIDs in stock fogs vs. the BLS 60mm low-beam kit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL94rGEgCFg
Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok now I'm leaning toward retrofitting an fx-r projector after seeing the light output compared to the 60mm hella. Wonder how much more work that would be..
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dabest09
Ok now I'm leaning toward retrofitting an fx-r projector after seeing the light output compared to the 60mm hella. Wonder how much more work that would be..
Probably not worth the extra effort. The light produced by the Hella 60mm is unreal and I can't see any reason to need more light.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Hellas will be way better than stock but I think the fx-r would be an even better alternative. The beam pattern is much wider and the cutoff is super crisp. I want to get some input from bls on it cause I know he uses the fxr for the 93-97 birds.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

The Hellas will be way better than stock but I think the fx-r would be an even better alternative. The beam pattern is much wider and the cutoff is super crisp. I want to get some input from bls on it cause I know he uses the fxr for the 93-97 birds.
The BLS kit looks MUCH cleaner than many DIY FX-R retrofits. The last "OEM" retrofit I saw was really unappealing when you looked at them... and the ballasts were literally hanging because the stock wiring was too short to let it be mounted anywhere on an F-body.

That said, the FX projectors have a much higher quality light output than the Hellas, which are considered junk by many "purist" lighting enthusiasts.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The BLS kit looks MUCH cleaner than many DIY FX-R retrofits. The last "OEM" retrofit I saw was really unappealing when you looked at them... and the ballasts were literally hanging because the stock wiring was too short to let it be mounted anywhere on an F-body.

That said, the FX projectors have a much higher quality light output than the Hellas, which are considered junk by many "purist" lighting enthusiasts.
Link? It's not gonna be a half-assed install that cut corners if I do it.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Link? It's not gonna be a half-assed install that cut corners if I do it.
Link for what? I'm talking about in-person. Unless you want the link to a place where people think most Hella projectors/reflectors are junk... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/
Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Link for the retrofits. I've seen plenty. It doesn't have to look amazing. Granted, the headlights will be down most of the time.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

The FX-R projectors are very nice units and we use them in our 93-97 firebird kits thanks to the extra room. They do outperform the 60mm Hellas but with the extra work required to make the FX units fit, its really not worth it IMO. The other issue you will run into is sealing the FX projector. This will not be easy so this give a big nod to the 60mm module. They are sealed and actually built to be used without any type of covering.

If you have the time and the fabrication means to pull off the FX setup then yes you will get better output. However the 60mm modules do a really good job and are very versatile to work with.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
The FX-R projectors are very nice units and we use them in our 93-97 firebird kits thanks to the extra room. They do outperform the 60mm Hellas but with the extra work required to make the FX units fit, its really not worth it IMO. The other issue you will run into is sealing the FX projector. This will not be easy so this give a big nod to the 60mm module. They are sealed and actually built to be used without any type of covering.

If you have the time and the fabrication means to pull off the FX setup then yes you will get better output. However the 60mm modules do a really good job and are very versatile to work with.
Thanks for the input! I'm leaning toward the fx-r because I do a TON of night time driving. I will do what it takes to get it sealed and look nice. My main concern is the wiring. I am clueless when it comes to that. Especially with the bi-xenon stuff.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input! I'm leaning toward the fx-r because I do a TON of night time driving. I will do what it takes to get it sealed and look nice. My main concern is the wiring. I am clueless when it comes to that. Especially with the bi-xenon stuff.
If you can build a sealed housing for an FX-R projector, you can learn how to wire HIDs.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey OP, any update on how the lenses have held up with road debris? I have these projectors, about to install them, and debating if I should go with a protective piece or not. I know you're saying they're use on Camaro's without covers, and they are also used on C5 'vette's without covers (Blazer brand fogs).
Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW: I have these lights - 2 high beam, 2 low beam. The low beams this is possible on. The high beams this will not work with. You will need a mounting bracket/plate.

Quick Reply: Cheap, Effective, Quick projector HID's... for trans ams