Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

spent the past two weeks doing appearance mods, lowered it for free!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he doesn't care how it handles.

Probably just got tired of offroading and wanted it lowered lolz
Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Function>Form

lolwut?

Hope he is enjoying the shitty handling and unnecessary wear on the suspension components.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There isn't anything wrong with cutting springs.

HEATING springs is bad.

Cutting springs. Perfectly fine.

And yes. I did it bc it doesn't cost me a dime. And I can make it any damn height I want. Instead of putting them on and living w it.

haven't u ever see a stock spring and a aftermarket spring side by side??? The after market is shorter.

The car rides exactly like stock. Another reason why I didn't want aftermarket springs.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Car rides and performs BETTER than stock. The springs on these cars are progressive rate springs. The tops are weak, the middle is strong, and the bottom is stronger yet. When u cut from the top u are getting rid of the weak coils. Making it a HIGHER rate spring(stiffer). Which makes the car handle wayy better. Not to mention the lower center of gravity.

In this case. FUNCTION=FORM

Originally Posted by Ruthless909
Function>Form

lolwut?

Hope he is enjoying the shitty handling and unnecessary wear on the suspension components.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me ask u this. What's the difference in lowering the car w stock springs. And lowering the car with aftermarket springs, as far as suspension goes??????

Not a damn thing.

Originally Posted by Ruthless909
Function>Form

lolwut?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

The ends of helical coil springs are made to be flat so that they fit properly into their retainers, and so the load is distributed evenly around the retainer. Cut springs have an angled end which concentrates the load on the retainer, and in some circumstances could pop out while driving.

Cut springs do not fit into the spring retainer properly.

Cut springs cannot absorb forces from bumps correctly, which lowers ride quality, spoils the handling and causes unnecessary wear on suspension components.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1. The end of the stock springs AERNT flat. they are helical front and back, top and bottom. there isnt a flat spring on these cars ANYWHERE.

2. Even when they are helical, do u really think that when u put the weight of the car down on the spring, its gonna hold the weight of the car on the very tip of the spring????
HELL NO. ur crazy. Its gonna flatten out. The only spring that needs to be flat, is the top of the rears. Thats only IF u dont put the isolators back in. the tops of the rear springs have pockets on the body for the springs to fit in anyway. so even without the isolators, the springs will still stay centered and WILL NOT kick out.

3. They will never "pop out" when driving. they are as safe if not safer then stock, or aftermarket. the shocks do not extend far enough for the springs to come out. u have to compress the spring with the axle fully dropped. so unless ur jumping a hill and go air-born, AND springs compress themselves, what u stated will never happen.

4. All of my springs, back front, tops and bottoms, all fit perfectly in theyre retainers. every retainer is designed to fit a helical spring, NOT flat. so after cutting, they fit right back in. perfectly.

5. My car rides just as good, if not better than stock. bumps aernt noticeable, and with the higher spring rate, it handles BETTER than stock. and yet it still doesnt have the rough ride that aftermarket springs do.

6. The suspension components on my car will not wear any faster than an aftermarket spring. thts like saying they will wear different with different brands of springs. what u said doesnt make sense. sry

lastly. dont be pissed u spent money on springs when u coulda did the same for zero money.

your welcome

:GTFO:

Last edited by Bobsmyuncle; 09-06-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Launching!

So do you never use your signals then?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

well im not gonna get all butthurt about it either way... but... Ill say theres a good amount of time/money/r&d that goes into spring rate/travel/etc whether theyre stock or aftermarket. Sure its not torching them, but i think its the lesser of two evils. haha

Id get wheels AND suspension stuff, once funds permit. I popped for new springs to lower my car, and once i ditched the stock shocks it became a whole new ball game. Going fast is definitely fun, but being able to control where you go is more fun.

I wouldnt get defensive (the douches on tech will be douches regardless) because most of the points being made are valid (except for the dumb racist ones haha).

We can all agree that it looks better; if it hurts ride quality or if you have to pay more down the road for bushings or whatever, well call it a lesson learned; otherwise were all wrong
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

How is that legal to drive on the street without front turns? Is this some thing where you just hope and pray you don't get caught?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea.....when I saw that you put that you lowered your car for free (aka, cutting the springs) I knew you were going to get a lot of negative responses. It's best to just leave that out, no would be any-the-wiser anyways. I've done it to mine, my cousin did it to his 99 Trans Am, and I did it to replace my friend's sagging and spongy Sportlines on his SS. I just took it in to get an alignment and she rides fine. It's all personal preference really. I did it because I was in college at the time and broke as hell. When I go through the car and re-do it, I'll probably invest in some springs. For now though, she looks and rides fine. Your car looks great OP! Oh yea, you should probably get some front turn signals man. At least get some used on eBay or on here and lightly smoke them with some VHT Nightshades because running without them is: 1.) against the law and 2.) a very big safety issue.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you go out of your way to remove the turn signals... It doesnt make the car cleaner... in anyway... thats dumb.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZROCWS6
So do you never use your signals then?
when i turn
Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
How is that legal to drive on the street without front turns? Is this some thing where you just hope and pray you don't get caught?
its not legal. not a single light on my car is legal. tinting of lenses is illegal.

so is the noise that it makes
the fumes it makes ect.

just another thing added to the list. lol
Old 09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Yea.....when I saw that you put that you lowered your car for free (aka, cutting the springs) I knew you were going to get a lot of negative responses. It's best to just leave that out, no would be any-the-wiser anyways. I've done it to mine, my cousin did it to his 99 Trans Am, and I did it to replace my friend's sagging and spongy Sportlines on his SS. I just took it in to get an alignment and she rides fine. It's all personal preference really. I did it because I was in college at the time and broke as hell. When I go through the car and re-do it, I'll probably invest in some springs. For now though, she looks and rides fine. Your car looks great OP! Oh yea, you should probably get some front turn signals man. At least get some used on eBay or on here and lightly smoke them with some VHT Nightshades because running without them is: 1.) against the law and 2.) a very big safety issue.
they were tinted. but they cracked like every other set i seen. and all the did was catch bugs, and impossible to clean.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Why would you go out of your way to remove the turn signals... It doesnt make the car cleaner... in anyway... thats dumb.
they were cracked, would always fill up with water, caught every single bug and impossible to clean them

makes the car look 100x better.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Your not going to have functional signals at all even on the rear with out a front bulb in the circuit. On top of that you need front marker lights by law along with headlights at night. The whole front of my car catches bugs not just the signals. Not sure what gaining there.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bobsmyuncle
1. The end of the stock springs AERNT flat. they are helical front and back, top and bottom. there isnt a flat spring on these cars ANYWHERE.

2. Even when they are helical, do u really think that when u put the weight of the car down on the spring, its gonna hold the weight of the car on the very tip of the spring????
HELL NO. ur crazy. Its gonna flatten out. The only spring that needs to be flat, is the top of the rears. Thats only IF u dont put the isolators back in. the tops of the rear springs have pockets on the body for the springs to fit in anyway. so even without the isolators, the springs will still stay centered and WILL NOT kick out.

3. They will never "pop out" when driving. they are as safe if not safer then stock, or aftermarket. the shocks do not extend far enough for the springs to come out. u have to compress the spring with the axle fully dropped. so unless ur jumping a hill and go air-born, AND springs compress themselves, what u stated will never happen.

4. All of my springs, back front, tops and bottoms, all fit perfectly in theyre retainers. every retainer is designed to fit a helical spring, NOT flat. so after cutting, they fit right back in. perfectly.

5. My car rides just as good, if not better than stock. bumps aernt noticeable, and with the higher spring rate, it handles BETTER than stock. and yet it still doesnt have the rough ride that aftermarket springs do.

6. The suspension components on my car will not wear any faster than an aftermarket spring. thts like saying they will wear different with different brands of springs. what u said doesnt make sense. sry

lastly. dont be pissed u spent money on springs when u coulda did the same for zero money.

your welcome

:GTFO:
Hmmm.... yeah... Sounds like somebody can't take constructive criticism...

Let me know how your shocks are holding up in a few months.

I'm not pissed because I haven't spent money on springs yet but I will be doing so shortly.

I'll leave the stock spring cutting to JDM Honda boys with Fo hawks.

Time for me to GTFO.

kthnxbai
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The car rides exactly like stock. Another reason why I didn't want aftermarket springs.
It wont for long... Those shocks are going to be done in a few miles... Expect extreme bouncing, jarring and jittery ride quality, and twitchy handling.

Car rides and performs BETTER than stock. The springs on these cars are progressive rate springs. The tops are weak, the middle is strong, and the bottom is stronger yet. When u cut from the top u are getting rid of the weak coils. Making it a HIGHER rate spring(stiffer). Which makes the car handle wayy better. Not to mention the lower center of gravity.
In this case. FUNCTION=FORM
Wrong. The stock springs on these cars are linear. You increase spring rate when you cut springs because calculating spring rate has to to with the height of the spring as well. Problem is now you don't know the rates.
If you think this makes the car handle "way better" then you are missing out a lot, thats like saying an LS6 cam in a stock LS1 makes the LS1 WAY more powerful. If you want way better handling look into good shocks (being the most important thing here) good aftermarket lowing springs (which will have proper spring rates, and balanced front/rear) and matching swaybars.

Let me ask u this. What's the difference in lowering the car w stock springs. And lowering the car with aftermarket springs, as far as suspension goes??????

Not a damn thing.
The aftermarket springs are designed ground up to be that height and rate, the stock springs are not. You know the rate of the aftermarket springs and therefore can match them to a good shock.
If you like your cut springs then thats just fine for you, but don't think that the are comparable to proper lowering springs.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good aftermarket springs do not have a rough ride when matched to proper shocks. Your ride will become worse and worse the more you drive it.
Your bump stops may wear much faster seeing you will be hitting them much more often without enough rate for the drop you have. (not to mention the shitty stock shocks not helping any).

lol... Some people buy lowering springs for more than just looks...
Dont be pissed I can make my car sound cammed like yours by pulling some spark plugs

Quick Reply: spent the past two weeks doing appearance mods, lowered it for free!!!