Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

C6 headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 headlight conversion

I am a new member but a longtime trans am owner. Beacuse of this I wanted to tackle a longtime issue in my book, headlights! So after many years of third gens I graduated to big leagues and bought a cheap 98 t/a and started swapping. Now that all wiring, interior, drivetrain is updated I decided what else could I do?! I always hated pop up headlights so I decided to stand out. I have started a c6 headlight conversion and am almost finished. I finish final mounting this weekend and start looking for a bodyshop knowledgeable in custom fiberglass or actually a process I believed is called rim
or rem. Point of all this is wether or not anyone had finished said project or is interested in the steps I am and have taken.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Teching In

I will have them uploaded by Saturday night. I have to use buddies pc/net to pull them off my I phone. Unless someone knows how I can upload them off of it directly to here. And or I can email them if I have an email address if wanting to see sooner than Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited by aCable1; 09-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds cool man! I can't wait to see pictures!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Default Not for the faint of heart!

Now in saying I am doing this conversion it does come at a cost! Headlights, knowledge, patience, time and overall finance in the end! Hasn't been a hackjob, but even I myself wondered what the heck I was doing! But after turn them on for the first time at night and beaming the house across the field I knew it was all worth it.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Default pics prior to final mounting

here are some pics of process so far
Attached Thumbnails C6 headlight conversion-036.jpg   C6 headlight conversion-050.jpg   C6 headlight conversion-051.jpg   C6 headlight conversion-039.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
bc1 (11-15-2019)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm not quite sure what to think. maybe i need to see the final product....
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Will be sometime this fall or winter depending on cost of bodywork. Wiring was easy. The mounting has proven to be a headache with spacing, height, and alignment with hood and fender. Bodywork on hood and bumper are final step prior to paint. As I said though the project is in fabrication stage.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lookin good so far
Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

took alot of material off that bumper and what hood do you have please dont use an oem ram air if thats what you got sell it and buy an aftermarket but all and all i like the project cool idea i like the popups myself (alltough i didnt use to they grew on me) but it can look sweet when done

ps a used oem hood will sell for more than you will pay for an after market
Old 09-11-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

you cant fiberglass those in, the bumper and fenders are plastic, you will need to "plastic repair" them in. Why is the drivers side so much higher? I mean it looks a good 6" higher. This is gonna end up nasty, those headlights do not flow at all. This reminds me of a Honda board, Just randomly sticking parts of other cars onto different cars. If i were you, id get a set of breathless lights and carve out the "bucket", and modify your C6 headlights so that the breathless kit just bolts down over the c6 internals.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Teching In

As I stated before this fab stage. Driver sits higher beacuse bumper hadn't even been cut to fit yet. These photos are from when I started wiring to make sure it would work. Nice thing about all this is that I can swap back to original setup if it doesn't work but yet to be determinded. Also I know that you can mat fiberglass to plastic as I also stated. Also lights do flow but I know I will just have to prove it so I probably won't post anymore info to defend or show how it will work. Instead I'll just finish it and you guys can judge then and go from there. And on a personal note I didn't just shove in a light and say hey let's make it work. If you didn't know these lights aren't cheap and I am not rich. I do appreciate your thoughts and constructive criticism though.

Last edited by aCable1; 09-12-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You cant put fiberglass on top of plastic, it will crack where the two meet because the plastic is constantly flexing and moving, the fiberglass doesn't flex. It will begin to separate. Only way to do it is to add a layer of fiberglass over the whole bumper. I have done it and made that mistake, then i learned the proper way in auto shop and i have been molding body kits etc for over 4 or 5 years now. If you try to do it, you will have a huge mess on your hands later down the road. Have you started any of the fab work yet? Do you have and update pictures? I am keeping an open mind, and im trying to help because i dont want to see you get frustrated and throw everything away, i know how much those headlights cost, i had a c6 Z06 and had a replace one. Well, insurance but still, i saw the statement lol.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think itll look better than breathless lights, but it will take some time to get the lines to flow. As stated, fiberglass wont work. Any eta on it or are you like me and it takes forever to get anything done?
Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it. Hopefully it works out for you and you'll be able to post pics of the finished product
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking good so far!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If you really wanna do the fabbing correctly on that bumper, and in a way it will last FOREVER....Is , looking into plastic welding .Google "plastic welding" or plastic welding urethane bumpers" and you will find a wealth of info . Once you get the lights final mounted , rebuild the area of the bumper around them with small sections of heat formed urethane . Then plastic weld your formed sections to the bumper . Sand your welds down , and for filler DO NOT use any kind of traditional filler ( I know a ton of people do , but that doesnt mean its right ) . I use a product called dynatron #660 . It is "like" a filler , but for flexible plastic . It will permantly bond to and possess the same expand and contract rates as plastic . For final finish glazing use 3m 5895 . Its like a finish glaze for body work , but again its for use on plastics and urethane bumpers . I have always though the C6 lights properly done on a TA could look really sweet . Maked damned sure the top outside corner of the C6 lamp perfectly lines up with the fender/hood line so the fender line can hit lamp and perfectly flow down around the lower contour like it does with the factory headlamp doors . Probably gonna be the biggest detail you need to get absolutely perfect .
Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

I hope this turns out good. I would love to see a working conversion kit like this that doesnt cost freaken 1000 bucks.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

sweet! but i would have trimmed the c6 lights and molded them around the stock cover so you wouldnt have to modify anything else. fiberglass work isnt hard, just time consuming. good luck! cant wait to see the final product.

Quick Reply: C6 headlight conversion