Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Moving Things Around To Improve Packing Efficiency, plus it's just cool

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Moving Things Around To Improve Packing Efficiency, plus it's just cool

So I'm at the piont where I'm slicing and dicing my 99 TA up to do all kinds of neat things with it. I have a few ideas to use all the wasted space in these cars and wanted to post them for all to see.

I already got rid of all the "safety" stuff in the nose.

I've seen a guy move his radiator to the back of the car and am considering doing that. I'd have lots of room for that Turbo setup down the road.

Battery

I need to find a new spot for the battery. Right nows it's in the hatch, but I'd like to get it out of the way. Perhaps behind the passenger side door, right next to the rear seat?

Coilpacks

I'd also like to find a spot to hide my Coil Packs. Perhaps inside the frame rail (next to the starter) on both sides? You've got these really large empty areas, just doing nothing. Then just snake the spark plug wires through the frame and come out right next to each plug.

Or I could mount them inside the cowl, but below the windshield wiper mechanism.

Mufflers

I need to do something about the mufflers as well. I really don't like snaking a long tube to the back of the car because it takes up so much space and gets super hot. It would be sweet if I could mount some thin mufflers right under the floor board and dump it down or mount some mufflers right behind each front wheel like the Mercedes SLR.

Like this, but with thin mufflers.

Rear Bumper

There is also a lot of usable space in ther rear bumper area. Maybe mount a pair of 6" diameter air tanks for my air ride?

Rear HVAC

Maybe move all the air conditioning stuff to the rear of the car like a lot of limo's have in the trunk. Or pull a complete unit from an Explorer.

I'd just need some room to run a duct to the front of the car so it will come out the dash vents. Maybe run it under the passenger seat?

I'd love to have all the extra room in the dash and under the hood.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-11-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Details on the rad relocated to the rear?

I have my battery mounted under the rear of the car, attached to the passenger frame rail.

Coilpacks would be a b*tch to mount, route, and connect inside the frame rail. Not to mention the danger of the frame rail chewing through a coil wire (since the engine moves, there would be lots of play in the wires mounted to a fixed location)

I believe that the exhaust must exit past the driver/pass door as required by state inspection. Plus, having all that weight and heat of two mufflers in the front of the car is not a good thing.

Rear bumper - I cut out the buckets in my trunk, leaving a lot of empty space. I will have a fuel cell mounted in the trunk and made a rear diffuser to seal off the extra space. Where the original fuel tank went, there will be a large muffler. Now there is tons of room for my 4" exhaust, the fuel tank is in a more spacious place and I sealed off any open area, reducing any parachute effect. I do have a tubular rear bumper support which is why I'm interested in the rear rad mounting.

HVAC- for the rear mount, would you be running coolant lines through the inside of the car? The stock HVAC (although mine is gone) is in a pretty efficient area of the dash.

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 09-11-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know much about the guy that did the rear mount radiator, but it wasn't a race car. It looked like a normal cruiser. His AC condensor was still up front. He didn't even say why he did it. I just have 2 pics.

Click the thumbs for full size.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

To really gain ALOT of effciency as far as space and weight is concerned, look into a vintage air set up . It does all the things the factory set up does, but the box is a fraction of the size and weight. I have picked up the unit I was interested in at a trade show, and it a very light piece, damn near as light as my Summit heater box. From my measurements, on the package I was interested in, I could have been able to get the entire unit in the car behind the passenger dash . Theres plenty of outlets to connect the factory vent locations and their are provisions to use stock LS1 compressor/condensor/evaporator lines . When the air was on on the demo , it was ice cold, powerful airstream and it was quiet . I was impressed, they really have their **** together .
Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
Coilpacks would be a b*tch to mount, route, and connect inside the frame rail. Not to mention the danger of the frame rail chewing through a coil wire (since the engine moves, there would be lots of play in the wires mounted to a fixed location).
I might be able to create a hatch on the inside of the car to install them. Simple grommets where the wires pass through the metal will keep them safe. My engine doesn'r move much with the poly mounts, but as long as I leave some play in the wires it won't be a problem.

I do wonder if they need air circulation or not. They might get too hot in a mostly enclosed location. HMMMM.
I believe that the exhaust must exit past the driver/pass door as required by state inspection. Plus, having all that weight and heat of two mufflers in the front of the car is not a good thing.
I have friends that inpect my car so I can get away with stuff like that. It's not much weight I don't think.
I don't think the heat would cause much problem. Anyway, it was just a thought.
HVAC- for the rear mount, would you be running coolant lines through the inside of the car? The stock HVAC (although mine is gone) is in a pretty efficient area of the dash.
I'd run the refrigerant lines under the car with insulation, just like the factory would do.

Thanks for the input, it gives me things to think about.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

will the radiator fit inside the rear quarter? Thats just empty space and if you can fit a radiator, or two smaller radiators, one on each side, you could have better weight and you can do custom air ducts and they would probably get better air than they ever got up front, especially if you install fans too.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

^beat me to the punch on that one.

i support this thread.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

did fabbing up that piece in the front and getting rid of all the stuff in the front lose alot of weight for you? i like your radical thinking. im wanting to relocate my battery to the back. i have alot of ideas but i still wont to keep it neat.

Quick Reply: Moving Things Around To Improve Packing Efficiency, plus it's just cool