Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Body shop is charging me $2,800 to paint & install a Sunoco hood & SS spoiler?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
you're also in new jer$ey where **** is probably more expensive too.
thats no lie.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Really? Because of the price??!!LOL!! Buddy, you better change that way of thinking fast. Youre the type of person that gets ripped off everyday. Not everything "pricier" is automatically better...come on....

You are the one been too quick, friend.
Uhhh buddy, i worked at a bodyshop, a close friend of mine is a painter, and my dad has been painting for 15+ years. So I know prices around here.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

try George's auto body in pitman NJ back when i had my 08 lancer before i got my Z a guy ran a red light and it hit the side of him, paint was flawless i think a reasonable price i cant remember. my uncle is a painter so im having him paint my sunoco in the spring after winter is over idk if im going to get him to blend since ill prob have the whole thing repainted in like 2 years. he painted a viper in the summer the same color as the crimson ws6 in the custom paint thread turned out amazing. he could use the side money but idk if you wanna drive an hour away to get it painted lol
Old 10-18-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

I just got a quote for $4,600 to install the hood and spoiler and to paint the entire car. That's only $1,800 more than the original quote. The car and parts are already there. I'm thinking about going for it.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think theres better use for that much money..... fast car mods maybe?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I think theres better use for that much money..... fast car mods maybe?
Fast car mods are on their way...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

A buddy of mine that lives in florida had his vette repainted with the same color and it costs him 16k, yes 16,000 big ones.It is the best paint job i have ever seen in my life though
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
that sounds right...

them hoods NEVER fit perfect...if its not an oem spoiler...guess what it wont fit right either. mine fit like crap and i had to do fiberglass work on the 2 middle parts to make them flush with the trunk....also my vfn 4" cowl hood fit like crap too when i did it(plans changed went to a extended cowl now). the cowl wasent even, i had a ton of excess, wide gaps etc etc.

basically....your paying them to make your hood and spoiler fit, paint it, paint the fenders, paint the hood, paint the front bumper and rear bumper. prep for the hood and spoiler......block the gelcoat, primer, block, reprimer, make it straight because no fiberglass parts are even closs to being straight, then paint and blend. its a lot of work.

the price is maybe on the high side by like 200 bucks but if they are a very good shop the your getting your moneys worth. i just did a body kit for an evo....2 bumpers and side skirts and 2 canards. materials ran me roughly 470.00. when i do his hood and spoiler they will be almost 600. i charged 950 for the job total.....thats cutting the guy a deal and without making the parts straight. but thats what he wanted.

Agreed.

Aftermarket parts are a BITCH to fit and your paint needs to be blended properly and basically your almost repainting the entire car.

I had my WS.9 Hood done 2 years ago and its another top notch company and between paint, blend, and fitment, it was over 1,600 just for the hood. But the thing came out so good and the paint made it look OEM which is actually tough. Sometimes too perfect will throw off from the rest of the car.

The body guy blended into the doors.

If you have a flat color like white or red you can get away cheaper, also if you do not care about fitment, there are ways to cheap out, but it also looks like ***.

My car had a good 1/3 to 1/2" gap from the bumper to the edge of the good and headlight covers and they needed to remove the bumper and fenders to get it all to fit correct.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

i just wrote an estimate (its what i do) and it came to 1700.00 so its alot higher but im sure nj rates are higher to. the complete paint job price isnt far off though
Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did kind of forget about the fitting of the hood. since my hood was an unpainted oem, they said it didn't really need any fitment, just the few minor repairs.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RAPED. It isn't some ebay hood, it is a VFN sunoco right? They are usually pretty good and not needing and extra $2K worth of work...

I paid $200 to have my spoiler painted and $600 to have hood, front bumper painted and fenders blended and work was excellent.

Not saying you'll get it all done for $800 in Jersey but I'd say anything over $1500 you're getting raped with no KY...
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
RAPED. It isn't some ebay hood, it is a VFN sunoco right? They are usually pretty good and not needing and extra $2K worth of work...
It's the VFN hood. I was surprised to hear that it needed so much work.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm laughing my *** off at all these stupid *** prices people are paying for paint jobs.....$5,000, $10,000, $16,000.........**** that.

My entire car just got painted, ain't no way you can find anything bad in the paint unless you're on your hands and knees with your face 10 inches from the paint looking for something. And YES there are some little things here and there, but the only way I found them was when I was detailing it and my face was that close and I was paying attention to every sqaure inch. Typical paint job down here is maybe $3,000-$4,000, mine included hours of wet sanding and buffing that took him 3 extra days to do after the paint was done. Its badass. Show car quality for sure. Maybe for some jerk-off wanting to sell it to some Barret Jackson rich idiot that'll pay anything for a hunk of metal with wheels wouldn't like it just because it was basically about $2,500.......but its an incredible paint job. PPG paint with Concept Clear, double clear.
Every part that can be removed from the car was removed and hung in the paint booth and painted. Door jams, sills, inside the door handles, T-Top tracks, etc....

Cris Cruz is perhaps the best painter in this country.........he gave me a quote to paint my car the same color of I think $3,600 if there's no damage to deal with or repair. Just prep and paint. He's a lengendary painter. Funny how people get ripped off so bad........

lol

Old 10-22-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I'm laughing my *** off at all these stupid *** prices people are paying for paint jobs.....$5,000, $10,000, $16,000.........**** that.

My entire car just got painted, ain't no way you can find anything bad in the paint unless you're on your hands and knees with your face 10 inches from the paint looking for something. And YES there are some little things here and there, but the only way I found them was when I was detailing it and my face was that close and I was paying attention to every sqaure inch. Typical paint job down here is maybe $3,000-$4,000, mine included hours of wet sanding and buffing that took him 3 extra days to do after the paint was done. Its badass. Show car quality for sure. Maybe for some jerk-off wanting to sell it to some Barret Jackson rich idiot that'll pay anything for a hunk of metal with wheels wouldn't like it just because it was basically about $2,500.......but its an incredible paint job. PPG paint with Concept Clear, double clear.
Every part that can be removed from the car was removed and hung in the paint booth and painted. Door jams, sills, inside the door handles, T-Top tracks, etc....

Cris Cruz is perhaps the best painter in this country.........he gave me a quote to paint my car the same color of I think $3,600 if there's no damage to deal with or repair. Just prep and paint. He's a lengendary painter. Funny how people get ripped off so bad........

lol

Agree. I LMAO when some here mentioned those butt raping prices with such pride!! LOL!!

$1,600 for JUST the hood!!? Dude you should have asked him to at least KISS you first!!! LOL!!! Please people...common sense, not that hard actually.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
Seems right for a top ntch shop. Whats the name of the shop? I ask because im a nj native. If you dont mind driving up north there are some great shops up here in North Nj

I'm in North NJ and am looking to get my Sunoco hood painted, who can you recommend that's good and reasonable?

Thanks,
Troy

Quick Reply: Body shop is charging me $2,800 to paint & install a Sunoco hood & SS spoiler?!