Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remove gauge overlay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remove gauge overlay?

Ok so the previous owner of my car had installed a gauge overlay of some sort. It is white or silver, I don't really remember. [have only driven the car once since we got it back on the road].

I'm not too fond of the gauges - too overpowering in my opinion. I want to change it back to the stock black with the addition of WS6Store Trans Am Bezel. Are most of these overlays glued on or what? Will the original cluster be ok? Basically can I just take the overlay kit off and be good to go?

Just wondering if anyone had attempted an overlay removal before and what the success was like.

I do not have pics at the moment since the car is sitting in a garage 300 miles away from me. =(

Any info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a full replacement then you are gonna have to replace it
Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Stu, essentialy the overlay is a giant sticker. You'll need an original to replace it or an aftermarket one. We actually have a group purchase going on right now if you're interested in anything custom. Click on my sig below and free free to look around.

But I think anything beats stock. Oh, and try to find the same year as your car, if you get another there might be a chance that the dummy lights might be in the wrong places.

hope that helps....
Old 10-23-2010, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

On that same note, if you take the needles off to replace the overlays does that disrupt them electronically when you put the face back on? My friend told me I had to be sure to have the needles in the exact same place on reassembly or they will be off. True or False?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

True. Make sure you put the needles back exactly, or the gauges will be off.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, I hope it's not a full replacement. But I guess I'll have to wait and see. =\

@Sommer, thanks for the heads up. I'll start looking around to see if there is an aftermarket one better than the one this guy tossed in. He had done some real tasteless and cheap looking mods to the car so I'm trying to undo that and get it more to what I want.

@Alex41, I think you should be ok getting them real close. I was always under the impression that they calibrate themselves. So as long as you don't get them off too bad I think you should be ok. BUT take this with a grain of salt. I'm just going off of what I heard from friends who've replaced stuff like that before [but not in a Chevy].
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Ah I took too long to post haha. I stand corrected. I'm sure VIP1 knows a lot more about this than I do.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

They don't calibrate themselves. If you put the needles on wrong the gauges will be wrong. Search through here for some tips/suggestions on getting them off/on right. Also, there is no guarantee that the previous owner got it right either.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I don't trust what the previous guy did. I am looking for a stock replacement cluster from a 98 Camaro. Going to check the classifieds and ebay. And I've found mention of swapping a cable for the odometer to read correctly in the new cluster, but I can't find solid details. Does anyone know if swapping this 'odometer cable' between the clusters will allow the new unit to read the correct miles?

Quick Reply: Remove gauge overlay?