Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swapped steering wheels, now steering is very stiff...!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapped steering wheels, now steering is very stiff...!

I installed the MOMO adapter part #2401. Splines line up fine, and new wheel looks great...BUT steering is very very stiff. There is a plastic coil ring that I believe has to do only with the airbag. If you look at this link it is the 7th pic down. Its black with white and blue sticker and a upc bar code looking sticker on it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l-install.html

It seems to me that the momo adapter naturally slides over this piece of plastic but the fit is very tight. When I turn the wheel I feel it rubbing and I can hear this coil shifting around underneath it. Steering is so stiff that the wheel does not go back to center position after turning and it seems to be from this coil/plastic thing fitting so tight underneath.

For kicks I put back the stock steering wheel and can turn it with just one finger like normal so obviously its a clearance issue. My question is ... can I remove this coil thing without it affecting my turn signals or blowing some kind of fuse because of it causing some kind of short or something?

BTW, my car is now becoming a 1 or 2 weekend a month cruising/road warrier/show car where it will be driven ALOT less than usual as Im getting another DD car. So airbag is not needed and for inspection I will just swap back the stocker.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V

I think you can remove that yellow piece it's for the air bag just don't break it or damage it. If you ever need to go back to having an air bag then you might have a problem.

Either that or figure out a way to machine some extra clearance into the Momo adapter to space it up some.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually air bags are not needed for inspection....
Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Same thing happened to me when I installed my MOMO. You need to remove the hub and clearance the inside of the column with a dremel tool. Where the hub slips into the column is too tight of a fit.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Well I actually started out with a dremel and then said "F" it.... I popped out the whole plastic hub thing.

Now... its SUPER smooth! I even put some WD40 around the very edge where you cant see, on the adapter because it still rubs slightly over the outer plastic sleeve of the steering column. It's virtually identically to stock now.

Thanks guys for the help.

Oh and I didn't realize about not needing the airbag for inspection. The cops around here can site you for taking it off though

Quick Reply: Swapped steering wheels, now steering is very stiff...!