Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

battery/fuse box covers- DIY questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default battery/fuse box covers- DIY questions

Going to try to make some covers this weekend myself.

I have the fuse boxes relocated (under original mounting location) in bumper. I want to make a cover for it to mount to the little metal piece that is sticking out and the front of the bumper.

Question 1- There is Lexan/plexi/etc at Home Depot.. Which is the best to use? The thickness they have is fine for what I need. They will be painted (powder coated down the road) and I want it to stick. Will I need to sand first?

Question 2- What is the easiest way to cut it? First thought was a sawzall and then follow it up with a dremel.

I will do the same for the battery and the computer as well. Just looking for some insight.

I will be doing another project in a few weeks using lexan/plexi to make covers for my new projectors!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Man! Sounds like you are having some fun!!! I don't have any advice but sounds like a good project! Good luck, post progress, and its good to know you're doing good.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lemons12
Question 1- There is Lexan/plexi/etc at Home Depot.. Which is the best to use? The thickness they have is fine for what I need. They will be painted (powder coated down the road) and I want it to stick. Will I need to sand first?
Good luck powdercoating Lexan/Plexi in the future, ..., :lol
Yes, You should sand it first, IF you are going to paint it.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Good luck powdercoating Lexan/Plexi in the future, ..., :lol
Yes, You should sand it first, IF you are going to paint it.
Will it not stick?

What is the difference between lexan and plexi? Which would be better to use.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Lexan/Plexi, being a 'plastic' type product, probably won't come out of a 400degree oven like it went in.
If I'm incorrect, let me know. But I don't think it'll take the heat required to do the powdercoat. I don't know their respective heat properties, but, ...

Google Search Results:
1. The mechanical properties are the main difference. Plexi-glass is fragile in nature with impact resistance. It tends to crack and chip easily. Lexan can be impacted continously with little or no wear / cracks chips or etc.
2. The cost Lexan is substantially more expensive.
3. If your using these as a temporary or pemanent fix use plexiglass for temporary items and Lexan for permanent repairs.
4. Lexan is commonly used in Industrial Applications while plexi-glass is more of an household item where little or no mechanical properties are required.

Lexan - trademark name for the material otherwise known as polycarbonate. Used to make bulletproof windows, it's tougher than plexiglass/acrylic and 2 or 3 times more expensive.

Plexiglass - trademark name for material otherwise known as acrylic, polymethylmethacrylate (or PMMA), or Lucite.

LEXAN® is a registered trademark for General Electric Company's brand of highly-durable polycarbonate resin thermoplastic intended to replace glass where strength justifies its cost.
Lexan is similar to polymethyl methacrylate (Plexiglas/Lucite/Perspex) — commonly described as Acrylic — in appearance, but is far more durable, often to the point of being described as "bulletproof".

Plexiglass vs. Lexan: Decoding the Brand Names
Typing “difference plexiglass lexan” into a search engine isn’t much different than inquiring about the variations between polycarbonate and Plexiglass. Many people assume that the word “Lexan” is synonymous with “polycarbonate,” but this assumption is false. Lexan is in fact a brand name polycarbonate product, and, as many polycarbonate products, it’s virtually unbreakable. However, RS Supply stocks a similar, competitively priced product called Palsun that offers additional benefits. Unlike Lexan sheets, Palsun polycarbonate sheets are fully UV protected, which means the sheeting stays clear and beautiful for years.

Just as Lexan is a brand name of polycarbonate, so too is Plexiglass a brand name of acrylic. In the comparison of “difference Plexiglass Lexan,” the following facts emerge:
  • Acrylic is a UV protectant and is virtually unbreakable. It boasts superior scratch resistance. This product is more economical than its polycarbonate compatriot, but is not to be used in a capacity where impact resistance is necessary. Acrylic is found in a wide variety of colors and thicknesses. RS Supply stocks multiple options.
  • Palsun polycarbonate has UV protection as a valuable amenity, and it is easier to drill than acrylic, which can crack if not pre-drilled slowly. It offers superior impact resistance and is often used for windows, roof panels, storm shutters and more.

PLEXIGLASS:
-Plexiglass is fragile in nature with impact resistance
-Tends to chip/crack easily
-Scratches easily
-Will discolor from sunlight
-Use as temporary or household fix where little or no mechanical properties are required.
-Available in many colors and thicknessess
-Lighter weight than glass

LEXAN:
-Lexan can be impacted continuously with little or no chips/cracks
-Cost is more than plexiglass
-Lexan is more for use with permanent repairs
-Common in industrial application where mechanical properties are required
-Can scratch easily however a scratch resistant version is available
-Limited colors available
-Various thicknessess available
-Will discolor from sunlight
-Lighter weight than glass
-Certain thicknessess can be used for bullet resistant applications
Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are the man pf.. excellent info of the differences. And a big duh on not being able to powder coat.. I will look into using some aluminum.

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Man! Sounds like you are having some fun!!! I don't have any advice but sounds like a good project! Good luck, post progress, and its good to know you're doing good.
Hell yea man.. I'm not the best at making things DIY style, takes me a long time.. but the end result is usually very nice.
Winter time coming up so I figured I had some extra time so why not.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spray the inside and the Other side will be shiny if its plexiglass
Old 11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mushroom281
Just spray the inside and the Other side will be shiny if its plexiglass
I have heard that... Same for lexan I would assume, yes?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Yep I just use the fusion. Paint and spray the back and as long as the front isn't scratched it looks glossy smooth and it works on any clear plastic
Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

And you can powder coat plastic it takes a different type of powder and a lower temp I've seen ls6 intakes powder coated
Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep I just use the fusion. Paint and spray the back and as long as the front isn't scratched it looks glossy smooth and it works on any clear plastic
I'm not sure how glossy I want it just yet.. I usually like semi-gloss better.
And you can powder coat plastic it takes a different type of powder and a lower temp I've seen ls6 intakes powder coated
I will look into it..

Quick Reply: battery/fuse box covers- DIY questions