Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Gauage Overlays

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobias05
No I was referring to Macewen being hit or miss. some people get it in a week, some people months.
Originally Posted by bj350hp
With the 3 sets that I have ordered (05-10) over the years the longest wait I had was 2weeks for one set.
i cant ever get a hold of this person to talk to them
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
i cant ever get a hold of this person to talk to them
yeah hes hard to get a hold of

my Silver face gauges

Not the best pic of my gauge setup.

Edit: Only pic I have of them in my old 96 Z28

Last edited by bj350hp; 11-10-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001-CamaroSS-LS1
they are 150...unless i read it wrong which i hope i did..why so expensive?
Because they arent a cheesy little peel & stick sticker overlay like the Macewen overlays are. The 6LE overlays are complete custom overlays that completely replace the stock overlay. You can change warning light symbols, wording, text styles, face colors & a ton of other things you simply cannot alter with the other cheapo overlays on the market.

By all means if all you want is a simple cheap silver sticker, order the Macewen overlays. Thats exactly what you'll get. If you want a completely custom one off one of a kind overlay with matching HVAC & headlight overlay order the 6LE & enjoy a high quality product. He can also make matching overlays for your pillar gauges as well.

I'd love to get some 6LE overlays but money is just too tight right now. But I want custom, not cookie cutter when I spend the money so I'll wait but I wont personally settle for a simple sticker overlay to save a few bucks.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Because they arent a cheesy little peel & stick sticker overlay like the Macewen overlays are. The 6LE overlays are complete custom overlays that completely replace the stock overlay. You can change warning light symbols, wording, text styles, face colors & a ton of other things you simply cannot alter with the other cheapo overlays on the market.

By all means if all you want is a simple cheap silver sticker, order the Macewen overlays. Thats exactly what you'll get. If you want a completely custom one off one of a kind overlay with matching HVAC & headlight overlay order the 6LE & enjoy a high quality product. He can also make matching overlays for your pillar gauges as well.

I'd love to get some 6LE overlays but money is just too tight right now. But I want custom, not cookie cutter when I spend the money so I'll wait but I wont personally settle for a simple sticker overlay to save a few bucks.
There not cheap there very high quality vinyl with adhesive backing.

It's like I said if you want something that looks like stock but in silver or white then get Macewen.
If you want something custom and one off then go with 6LE. For me I wanted my car to look like it came that way from the factory so I went with Macwen for the third time.

Mac

6LE

Last edited by bj350hp; 11-10-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

6le has some awesome products, but i wouldn't say the macewen OVERLAYS are cheap by any means. just two different products.

want cheap? go look on ebay and buy something for the price of a happy meal.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I'm sorry but I can not consider a overlay made from vinyl "high quality" at all. Its a sticker, made from vinyl. You stick it to the stock overlay & pray the adhesive never lets it move later on.

Fact is the two options being discussed are at total different ends of the quality line. One is a sticker, one is a complete replacement which allows you to change the illumination color to anything you want.

Again, you want a sticker, buy Macewen, you want a true overlay replacement buy the 6LE. Even if you buy the bottom of the line 6LE for $150 its gonna be a better quality product with WAY better customer support.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
LOL, I'm sorry but I can not consider a overlay made from vinyl "high quality" at all. Its a sticker, made from vinyl. You stick it to the stock overlay & pray the adhesive never lets it move later on.

Fact is the two options being discussed are at total different ends of the quality line. One is a sticker, one is a complete replacement which allows you to change the illumination color to anything you want.

Again, you want a sticker, buy Macewen, you want a true overlay replacement buy the 6LE. Even if you buy the bottom of the line 6LE for $150 its gonna be a better quality product with WAY better customer support.
Well when you get one of macewen or 6LE products you can pass judgment.

I can't speak for 6LE gauges but I can for Macewen and I have been very happy every time.

Edit: Now hands down 6LE has way better customer services but by the same token I have never had to get in touch with Mac for anything so...

Last edited by bj350hp; 11-10-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

wut about the NR Automotive overlays?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

NR gauges look the same as stock and I believe they are a full replacement like the 6LE ones, so removing the needles is required. If you don't want to remove your needles then go with Macewen.
Bigmike won't be driving your car, so make your own decision on what works best for YOU. Both options look better than stock.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
NR gauges look the same as stock and I believe they are a full replacement like the 6LE ones, so removing the needles is required. If you don't want to remove your needles then go with Macewen.
Bigmike won't be driving your car, so make your own decision on what works best for YOU. Both options look better than stock.
gotcha, well if i can only get a hold of Macewen now lol
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

If you're going the Macewen style you really should buy the ebay ones and save a LOT of money. I've had both and I can't tell a difference.

Neither are bad quality, just not a replacement but if you don't want different (font, lighting, whatever) no reason to spend more on Macewen for same thing on ebay...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
If you're going the Macewen style you really should buy the ebay ones and save a LOT of money. I've had both and I can't tell a difference.

Neither are bad quality, just not a replacement but if you don't want different (font, lighting, whatever) no reason to spend more on Macewen for same thing on ebay...
which ones on ebay are u talking about?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

Any of the ones that look like MacEwans but white and around $20.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any of the ones that look like MacEwans but white and around $20.
ok im gonna check it out
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
ok im gonna check it out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...Q5fAccessories

It says the overlays you don't have to remove the needles, but I don't see how this is possible. Can someone explain?

Based on the photos on ebay, switching to white face really makes you want the TA bezel.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

6lE have you installed a set of Macewen or whitefacegaues.com/Ebay gauges? I have done both and can tell you they are very different. You get what you pay for and Macewen stuff is very high quality and install is very easy

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...Q5fAccessories

It says the overlays you don't have to remove the needles, but I don't see how this is possible. Can someone explain?

Based on the photos on ebay, switching to white face really makes you want the TA bezel.
Stay far away from these!! I had the same style gauges from that guy in my 02 GT mustang and these really are just cheap stickers/decals (note the 25 price) and install of them sucks. (u don't have to remove the needles but the hole they make for the Needle is to small and the overlay does not fit over it well, you end up stretching the sticker or ripping it. I ended up throwing them away.)

Edit: you need this for install of the whitefacegaues.com/ebay gauges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Easy-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by bj350hp; 11-11-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bj350hp
6lE have you installed a set of Macewen or whitefacegaues.com/Ebay gauges? I have done both and can tell you they are very different. You get what you pay for and Macewen stuff is very high quality and install is very easy.

Stay far away from these!! I had the same style gauges from that guy in my 02 GT mustang and these really are just cheap stickers/decals (note the 25 price) and install of them sucks. (u don't have to remove the needles but the hole they make for the Needle is to small and the overlay does not fit over it well, you end up stretching the sticker or ripping it. I ended up throwing them away.)

Edit: you need this for install of the whitefacegaues.com/ebay gauges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Easy-...Q5fAccessories

good to know, i mite just change the bulbs then

Quick Reply: Gauage Overlays