Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DDM Tuning HID Kit questions for those with them on their camaros

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
so im wondering if i should get a set with the harness from ddm tunning and take a chance? anyone know how to hookup the harness?
yes it's very easy, although their harness isn't very long... but I personally wouldn't risk hooking them up without it. even the 35W
Old 11-20-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ec_nova
yes it's very easy, although their harness isn't very long... but I personally wouldn't risk hooking them up without it. even the 35W
Cool are u running them on ur yours with there harness? how do u exactly hook up the harness?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool are u running them on ur yours with there harness? how do u exactly hook up the harness?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/support/ind...1&pcid=0&nav=0

9006 bulb
Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yep i'm running them on my fogs and my headlights. I hooked the power up to the positive terminal on the driver's side, and the ground up... i dunno somewhere around there that was a good ground lol.

It looks a lot more complicated than it really is. Basically you give it power and ground from somewhere (like where i just mentioned) then you plug the connectors into the ballasts. You also plug your actually bulb connectors into the relay harness (this is what sends the signal to the relay that then sends power to the ballasts)

very easy install
Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
Originally Posted by ec_nova
yep i'm running them on my fogs and my headlights. I hooked the power up to the positive terminal on the driver's side, and the ground up... i dunno somewhere around there that was a good ground lol.

It looks a lot more complicated than it really is. Basically you give it power and ground from somewhere (like where i just mentioned) then you plug the connectors into the ballasts. You also plug your actually bulb connectors into the relay harness (this is what sends the signal to the relay that then sends power to the ballasts)

very easy install

ok cool cause the above directions are very confusing to me, so u mean there is no splicing of any wires for this harness? its just plug and play, and a ground wire and hook up to postiive lead on drivers side and thats it?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok cool cause the above directions are very confusing to me, so u mean there is no splicing of any wires for this harness? its just plug and play, and a ground wire and hook up to postiive lead on drivers side and thats it?
It's 100% plug and play. And should honestly not take more time than it takes to pop in a new light bulb, with the addition of just sticking in the ballasts to the double sided tape. (at least from my experience from doing it on a camaro with the stock headlights, did it on mine that the previous owner threw an aftermarket set on, and then modified that one. That took a little longer for obvious reasons)
Old 11-20-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSkull
It's 100% plug and play. And should honestly not take more time than it takes to pop in a new light bulb, with the addition of just sticking in the ballasts to the double sided tape. (at least from my experience from doing it on a camaro with the stock headlights, did it on mine that the previous owner threw an aftermarket set on, and then modified that one. That took a little longer for obvious reasons)
awesome then, i think im gonna get a set in 6k, how much were they? also do u need the harness for the fogs?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Launching!

awesome then, i think im gonna get a set in 6k, how much were they? also do u need the harness for the fogs?
I got 8k, friend of mine got 10k, neither of ours look blue at all IMO. He wanted a pretty serious blue hue in his HID's, so he was gonna go back and get 12k, but I'm trying to talk him out of it.

6k I think from DDMtuning will be an almost pure white, first time I went in there, the woman said that their bulbs are a little more washed out in most cases compared to the normal color and it's corresponding #.

So where 8k, or even 6k would normally be considered to have a lot of blue, they really don't, at least DDM's models don't.

I'm running both fogs and lows without harnesses, no problems so far, same deal with my friends 97 with the same exact setup aside from the 10k and 8k bulb difference.

Some people say you're fine without them, some say it's a sure thing you need them. I've seen more people in person with no harnesses, than I have with.

If you want to be 100% positive that it's secure, I would get the harness, it's only 15 dollars, and it gives you peace of mind.

As for pricing, I got 35w kits are 35 each plus tax, 55w kits are 45 plus tax.
That's not including shipping, I heard they were having some problems occasionally with people ending up waiting a month or so to receive their kits, it's a 20-30 minute drive from me, so I just made the trip.

Those are complete prices as well, ballasts, bulbs, etc all included.

With the stock lights you want:
9006 bulbs, for your low beam
880 bulbs for your fogs(they will fit in both the LT1 fogs, and LS1 fogs without any issues, lt1 factory fogs are 886 I think, and ls1 are 894 I think, but no problems with popping'em in.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got 8k, friend of mine got 10k, neither of ours look blue at all IMO. He wanted a pretty serious blue hue in his HID's, so he was gonna go back and get 12k, but I'm trying to talk him out of it.

6k I think from DDMtuning will be an almost pure white, first time I went in there, the woman said that their bulbs are a little more washed out in most cases compared to the normal color and it's corresponding #.

So where 8k, or even 6k would normally be considered to have a lot of blue, they really don't, at least DDM's models don't.

I'm running both fogs and lows without harnesses, no problems so far, same deal with my friends 97 with the same exact setup aside from the 10k and 8k bulb difference.

Some people say you're fine without them, some say it's a sure thing you need them. I've seen more people in person with no harnesses, than I have with.

If you want to be 100% positive that it's secure, I would get the harness, it's only 15 dollars, and it gives you peace of mind.

As for pricing, I got 35w kits are 35 each plus tax, 55w kits are 45 plus tax.
That's not including shipping, I heard they were having some problems occasionally with people ending up waiting a month or so to receive their kits, it's a 20-30 minute drive from me, so I just made the trip.

Those are complete prices as well, ballasts, bulbs, etc all included.

With the stock lights you want:
9006 bulbs, for your low beam
880 bulbs for your fogs(they will fit in both the LT1 fogs, and LS1 fogs without any issues, lt1 factory fogs are 886 I think, and ls1 are 894 I think, but no problems with popping'em in.

Awesome i think for that price i will get them, thank u for the info, its just wut i needed to know, last question is do u have any pics of ur 8ks u can post, cause im looking for just a slight blue, but mostly white, i remember my old 6ks were like a light blue, but ur saying these are different so
Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Launching!

I'll take a picture once it gets darker, I've been meaning to take one anyways.

I've got projectors with these aftermarket housings, or else I would just take a picture right now in the daylight to show you the color difference since they would light up the entire stock headlight.

Oh, and just to clarify, that's 35 per complete kit(and 45 for the 55w). That means two bulbs, ballasts, and other little pieces. You're gonna need two kits(for a total of 4 bulbs) if you plan on doing the fogs and lows, and one more set if you want to do your highbeams as well.

EDIT: Hey, how much power did your car make at the wheels with your current setup? I'm curious because I'm just gonna be happy with a full bolt on car. Around 340-360rwhp?

EDIT 2: Actually, instead of taking the picture, my friends 10k's look like Ec Novas sig pic but slightly less of a blue hue(even though EC's doesn't really have much blue). And my 8k's just a little whiter. If you want a clear white, and you're ordering from DDM, I would get 6k's because that looked about perfect when she was lighting them up in the place for my friend and I. 4300k was almost a blinding white, and supposed to be closest to a factory HID setup, but 6k seemed to me what would be closest to a factory HID setup.

Last edited by SSkull; 11-20-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1352439-ddm-tuning-hid-kit-questions-those-them-their-camaros-3.html
Old 11-20-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll take a picture once it gets darker, I've been meaning to take one anyways.

I've got projectors with these aftermarket housings, or else I would just take a picture right now in the daylight to show you the color difference since they would light up the entire stock headlight.

Oh, and just to clarify, that's 35 per complete kit(and 45 for the 55w). That means two bulbs, ballasts, and other little pieces. You're gonna need two kits(for a total of 4 bulbs) if you plan on doing the fogs and lows, and one more set if you want to do your highbeams as well.

EDIT: Hey, how much power did your car make at the wheels with your current setup? I'm curious because I'm just gonna be happy with a full bolt on car. Around 340-360rwhp?

EDIT 2: Actually, instead of taking the picture, my friends 10k's look like Ec Novas sig pic but slightly less of a blue hue(even though EC's doesn't really have much blue). And my 8k's just a little whiter. If you want a clear white, and you're ordering from DDM, I would get 6k's because that looked about perfect when she was lighting them up in the place for my friend and I. 4300k was almost a blinding white, and supposed to be closest to a factory HID setup, but 6k seemed to me what would be closest to a factory HID setup.
ok cool so i will go with the 6ks then, my car wit a lid and a tune, full exhaust and cats and borla on a mustang dyno made 344rwhp and 340rwtq

Remember thats on a mustang dyno which shows low numbers to begin with, on a dyno jet it should be higher
Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8665/img1367y.jpg

Thats a 4500k 55watt HID kit from DDM compared to a factory HID setup.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staticx57
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8665/img1367y.jpg

Thats a 4500k 55watt HID kit from DDM compared to a factory HID setup.
wow big difference, but im gonna be running 35ws
Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Launching!

In their own words the 55w washes out the color a bit since its brighter. That is in comparison to the 35w. Just remember that.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hooked everything up for my low beams and fogs but havent powered it up yet,im waiting to pick up a 10mm nut for the drivers side ground located on the drivers shock tower. i used aux power connection to supply power. so do i need to swap the main(9006/894) power feed harness's backwards or no? i have heard that rumor, or i guess if it doesnt power up tomorrow that will be the first thing i try

Meant the bulb, not the actual headlight housing and foglight housing. But I already found the answer yesterday.

I've got a question now, does anyone here that has installed these have an answer on this?

1. On both my 98 camaro, and my friends 97 camaro(we're both installing them right now) we've plugged everything in correctly, the bulbs connected to the ballast, and connection made to the factory(unmodified on both cars) headlight harness.

No power to any of our new bulbs. Meanwhile the stock lights will still power up without any problems. Is there something that needs to be bypassed on fbodys that's stopping power from being sent? We had them checked in person when we bought them so we know they aren't defective, and just to be sure, we powered up each one again today outside of the cars. They will power up no problem from an external power source, but from both of our cars, none of them will power up, which leads me to believe it's something with the electrical system on our 97 and 98 Z's.

EDIT: Sorry nevermind, I just found a thread where someone had the same problem and saw that the harnesses are reversed.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

In their own words the 55w washes out the color a bit since its brighter. That is in comparison to the 35w. Just remember that.
gotcha
Old 11-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Launching!

i hooked everything up for my low beams and fogs but havent powered it up yet,im waiting to pick up a 10mm nut for the drivers side ground located on the drivers shock tower. i used aux power connection to supply power. so do i need to swap the main(9006/894) power feed harness's backwards or no? i have heard that rumor, or i guess if it doesnt power up tomorrow that will be the first thing i try
Mine was reversed, I didn't know about that problem till I tried to power the lights from the car. Came to the site and did a quick search, they were indeed backwards/upside down from the factory harness.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was reversed, I didn't know about that problem till I tried to power the lights from the car. Came to the site and did a quick search, they were indeed backwards/upside down from the factory harness.
Yea had that problem wit mine awhile ago, gonna order my set monday, hopefully they will come soon, and not a month later, will post pics soon, thanks guys
Old 11-21-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys i got my low beams and fogs 9006(35w)/880(55w) all wired up with relay harness's. the low beams work perfect but when i turn my fogs on they are blowing the 20amp tail lamps fuse on the drivers side dash panel fuse block. any ideas??

Last edited by 99huggerorangeZ; 11-21-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guys i got my low beams and fogs 9006(35w)/880(55w) all wired up with relay harness's. the low beams work perfect but when i turn my fogs on they are blowing the 20amp tail lamps fuse on the drivers side dash panel fuse block. any ideas??
So much for using the recommended relay harnesses.

J/k

Seriously though, how did you hook up the fog HIDs? Are you using a separate switch? Are you using the stock fog light switch? Could be that the 55W may be too much for the fuse to handle. Did you do a straight up plug n play install or did you modify anything?

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning HID Kit questions for those with them on their camaros