Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DDM Tuning HID Kit questions for those with them on their camaros

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DDM Tuning HID Kit questions for those with them on their camaros

Tomorrow, I'm gonna go pick up two sets hopefully from DDMtuning because of some of the good things I've read on here about peoples experiences with the kits.

I wanted to pick up two sets, one for lows, and one for fogs.

Problem is that while they do have the correct sizes for the lows:

- 55W, 9006 Bulb. - These are the low beams on headlights -

They don't have the 894 size bulbs for the fogs. Closest I can see are 880 size bulbs. I was going to get 35W, 894 bulb for the fogs. I doubt it, but any chance 880 bulbs will fit correctly on the car?

And lastly, I see they have HID Harnesses for sale as well which is an additional 12.50 for dual in/dual out harnesses. What are these, and do I need them? I'm assuming not, but I don't want to start putting these in, and end up needing something else.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go with 35w 9006,55w is to hot for the housings. yes 880s will work,only difference is the connector side(straight vs 90 degree bend). i would go with 55w fogs only because the housings are glass and you could get away with the higher temps.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't go with 55w in the fogs cause yeah the fog light housing itself may handle the bulb temp but all the heat is staying inside there causing the bulb itself to stay hot and may cause the bulb to either blow or bust. I have 35w 6k in my headlights for the lows and love them all though I didn't get mine from DDMTuning.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Launching!

The main reason I was going with 35W for the fogs was I read on here that 55W set might get a little hot in an enclosed space like the spot where the fogs are in the bumper opening.

I've got an aftermarket set of headlights that came on the car, projector headlights. Forgot to mention that.

So I should stick with 35W all around then? Or should I be fine with 55W in the aftermarket projector housings, and 35W in the fogs?

Any chance you can post up a decent picture of your headlights lighting the road ahead of your car(if you've got one) 9whitecamro9?

I was going to get 10k bulbs(they have them in 4k,6k,8,10k,etc I wanted to get them in 9k with them being washed out a little bit but that's a no go I guess) for the headlights, since they said with 55W it washes out the coloring a little bit, which in my mind makes me think it would look like the factory HID lighting color that my dads C6 has. But since I would be getting 35W, I'm starting to think 8k would look right. The C6 is just a factory HID coloring, it's like white, but just a slight tint of blue on the road.

Main reason I want to get it as close as possible is because other than not wanting some deep blue lowbeams, I want the color and everything to look as close as possible to what it would if it came with HID's from the factory.

If no one chimes in by the time I go and leave to pick'em up tomorrow, I guess I'll just play it safe and get 35W all around, and 8k.

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers, especially on the 880 bulbs fitting in the fogs.

So I'll be getting:
35W, 9006 bulbs, 8k - Headlights
35w, 880 bulbs, 3k - Foglights

EDIT: I'm checking around and see some people are saying 6k bulbs are too blue, which obviously makes me think 8k should be way to blue. The choices ddm has are 4500k,6000k,8000k,and 10000k.

To get it as close to factory HID color, would that be the 4500k?

Last edited by SSkull; 11-12-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

6000k is ricer blue, 8000k is double ricer blue. 5000k will have some blue in it, and 4300k is going to give you the best output/most white. I have been running 55W 3000k in my fogs for over a year with no problems at all, but you will definitely want the upgraded wiring harness for them if you run 55w.

In case you haven't read about this already, you will have to loosen the 4 screws at the bulb base on the fog lights in order to get the bulb to fit, then once the bulb is twisted in, you can tighten the screws back down.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im going with the 35w 5000k bulbs all the way around... Closes to stock IMO
Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Are the lt1 lowbeams and fogs the same as the ls1? Friend of mine wants to make sure he's getting are the correct ones like mine.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the 55w 6k in my foglights without a harness and so far everything has been good. its been about 4 months.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Well I picked up 4 sets total, one for each of our cars(my friend and I) got home a little late so I'll install them tomorrow in the daylight.

Would've installed them right now, but after I connected them in the little light I had left, I found out that the previous owner of the car way back for some reason did a chop job on the projectors he installed. Everything on the car he did with class, no shortcuts, but it seems like someone other than him got a hold of the lights during installation and did it.

Oh well, small price to pay.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll post pics of our cars with the lights installed hopefully tomorrow.

Oh, and DDMtuning has great kits. I'll be going back there to buy any future parts. People are really nice too.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSkull
Are the lt1 lowbeams and fogs the same as the ls1? Friend of mine wants to make sure he's getting are the correct ones like mine.
nooo lt1s use sealed headlights.. not sure on the fogs..
Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jb98camaro
nooo lt1s use sealed headlights.. not sure on the fogs..
Meant the bulb, not the actual headlight housing and foglight housing. But I already found the answer yesterday.

I've got a question now, does anyone here that has installed these have an answer on this?

1. On both my 98 camaro, and my friends 97 camaro(we're both installing them right now) we've plugged everything in correctly, the bulbs connected to the ballast, and connection made to the factory(unmodified on both cars) headlight harness.

No power to any of our new bulbs. Meanwhile the stock lights will still power up without any problems. Is there something that needs to be bypassed on fbodys that's stopping power from being sent? We had them checked in person when we bought them so we know they aren't defective, and just to be sure, we powered up each one again today outside of the cars. They will power up no problem from an external power source, but from both of our cars, none of them will power up, which leads me to believe it's something with the electrical system on our 97 and 98 Z's.

EDIT: Sorry nevermind, I just found a thread where someone had the same problem and saw that the harnesses are reversed.

Last edited by SSkull; 11-13-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ec_nova
6000k is ricer blue, 8000k is double ricer blue. 5000k will have some blue in it, and 4300k is going to give you the best output/most white. I have been running 55W 3000k in my fogs for over a year with no problems at all, but you will definitely want the upgraded wiring harness for them if you run 55w.

In case you haven't read about this already, you will have to loosen the 4 screws at the bulb base on the fog lights in order to get the bulb to fit, then once the bulb is twisted in, you can tighten the screws back down.

What he said is half true. I know OP you've already ordered em but i have 6k in mine and they barely have any blue in them at all. My fiancee has 5k in hers and hers looks more OEM like what BMW, Lexus, and Escalades have. It all depends on where you get em. I didn't get mine from DDM Tuning cause I wanted to try something diff. than what others had gotten and used. Now what ^ said is true about the fog lights though you will have to loosen the 4 screws in order to get the HID bulb to fit.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just ordered the 55w 6k lowbeams for my 01.. when they get here, ill do before/after pics.. ordered the dual/dual harness for safety. anyone have pics of how the tied up/mounted the hid boxes?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DYING BREED
i just ordered the 55w 6k lowbeams for my 01.. when they get here, ill do before/after pics.. ordered the dual/dual harness for safety. anyone have pics of how the tied up/mounted the hid boxes?
I dont have pics... but mine mounted perfected on the flat part next to the headlights (the top of the frame that goes to the bumper cover) they fit perfectly there for me. I'll see if I can snap a pic tomorrow
Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

I dont have pics... but mine mounted perfected on the flat part next to the headlights (the top of the frame that goes to the bumper cover) they fit perfectly there for me. I'll see if I can snap a pic tomorrow
No pic needed, thanks though. I know exactly where you're talking about, and am going to mount them in that same spot. I got everything in, but got sidetracked with my friend since we ended up going downtown to find some junkyards hoping to find a fog light housing for his 97 since his housing got busted.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

ec thanks.. if you can that would be cool. my kit should be in tomorrow. hopefully by the weekend have it in...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DYING BREED
ec thanks.. if you can that would be cool. my kit should be in tomorrow. hopefully by the weekend have it in...
I'll do it later tonight! look for it in the morning
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry it's blurry. and messy. but you get the idea. enough space for the headlight and foglight ballasts. Mounted the passenger side the same way
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont mean to change the subject, but anyone wanna tell me why i have went through 3 sets of wiper motors on each on of my camaros that had hids on them?? wipers would start jumping on there own when the hids were on, wuts that about? lol
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

sorry it's blurry. and messy. but you get the idea. enough space for the headlight and foglight ballasts. Mounted the passenger side the same way
mine are mounted the same way.. plenty of room in there

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning HID Kit questions for those with them on their camaros