Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

ZL1-style ("Manta") hood decal -any luck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZL1-style ("Manta") hood decal -any luck?

Has anyone had any luck installing the "Manta" style decal sold on 3rdgendecals.com that is applied to the ss hood scoop? I like the way it looks but the site warns that it is really difficult to install without bubbles/creases. Don't want to dump $100 on something I'm going to end up crumpling up in a rage and throwing out after trying to install for 3 hrs

here's the kit I'm talking about:
http://www.3rdgendecals.com/Manta.htm
Old 02-04-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck took about 2 hours to do the hood scoop decal w/ 2 people and we still had
bubbles & creases (we got the bubbles) but 2 creases on both sides.

So a few weeks back I had the hood scoop painted.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Painting is ALWAYS better than decals. Decals always seem to get removed after a while anyway. If you don't remove them, nature does it for you. Save the time. Paint the hood.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

its a HUGE pain to do on your own.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Go get it painted.

Mark
Old 02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the stickers. Had two different pros try. Both ended up with creases. Heed the warnings.

Then I had mine painted on too.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well... I bought the "NEW MANTA" kit and installed it myself in about 45 minutes and got the on the first try (he gives you two sets). I have experience with decals though, but it is MUCH easier than the "MANTA" kit for sure.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Well, a friend and I did the original Manta kit last weekend. True to Jay's word, it was a PITA to put on. We actually did better on the hood than we did on the spoiler and decklid. For the hood, it looks pretty good except for one wrinkle on the left side. The decklid we kind of slaughtered, and the spoiler wasn't too bad. The quality and color of them were outstanding. It took me a very long time (because I'm kind of **** that way) to pick the exact color I wanted. The design of the decals was fine, it's the nature of the curves of our cars and the way the vinyl wants to lay on it that makes it extremely difficult to install. I highly suggest having two or possibly more people help you. Taking the hood off was an immense help in the ease of installation. I'm looking into getting it painted now too though. Here are some pics of the install.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimm
Well, a friend and I did the original Manta kit last weekend. True to Jay's word, it was a PITA to put on. We actually did better on the hood than we did on the spoiler and decklid. For the hood, it looks pretty good except for one wrinkle on the left side. The decklid we kind of slaughtered, and the spoiler wasn't too bad. The quality and color of them were outstanding. It took me a very long time (because I'm kind of **** that way) to pick the exact color I wanted. The design of the decals was fine, it's the nature of the curves of our cars and the way the vinyl wants to lay on it that makes it extremely difficult to install. I highly suggest having two or possibly more people help you. Taking the hood off was an immense help in the ease of installation. I'm looking into getting it painted now too though. Here are some pics of the install.

Thanks for the info - nice choice on the color! would love to see more pics of your hood on the car btw! Just wanted to say also I think 3rdGenDecals is great, never questioned the quality of their work - I know this is just a tough install because of the curves of the car. I got my hockey stix through 3rdgen and they were perfect....
Old 02-20-2004, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

How much is it for a body shop to paint the hood scoop?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Well, I went to a body shop yesterday for an estimate. To do it RIGHT, I got an estimate of $1000. That's for the hood, decklid, and spoiler.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been through 4 "NEW" hood scoop decals. They are top quality, and if you were going to do the hood decal, I would refer him to you.

That being said, I would not even try to attempt it again. I will have it painted next time. I kid you not... I tried for 10 hours total on all 4, but it would eventually get a crease in it. Mind you, I was trying to go around my Anniversary stripes, so that compounded the problem.

My vote, get it painted.

Good luck, Paul
Old 03-15-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

I was going to go the vinyl route, but I heard stories like this and decided to have it painted on. A painter in my local car club is going to re-paint my entire hood and do my scoop black for only $200.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you apply it like tint? just cover the scoop in water then you can move it around, when its all set right just let it dry.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had mine done for $550 painted with 4 coats of clear on top of the hood so you cannot feal the hood scoop decal layer.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
can you apply it like tint? just cover the scoop in water then you can move it around, when its all set right just let it dry.
that is how you HAVE to do it, but it doesn't help much. It's the curves in the scoop that mess you up. If the hood was flat it would be a breeze.

I tried to help BlaSSt put his decals on and it was a PITA. My hubby ended up painting them on. Still trying to talk him into painting stripes on my SS
Old 03-16-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That link.. thats MY stripe!! (the first pic)..

http://www.z069.us/00/Exterior/hood_stripe.JPG

You could always just have it painted on.. sorta permanent but a nice option.. You should do the matching rear stripe, it really ballances out the car and gives more of a "flow" to the design..