Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mecham power oval tips. Do they come like this

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

i bought these because i figured they would be used with some soot on them and some clamping marks and i would just clean them off and polish them up and they would be good to go . With that said i would use them if they didn't have the holes.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about jb weld to fill them? or using an exhaust cement?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, I did not know they don't originally come with holes, my friend had them on his bird this entire summer just fine. USE BAND CLAMPS, it looks clean and is so easy to do. They are also not clone's as there is no such thing as clone mecham tips, I searched years ago.

They were from mecham, as someone said before his replacements from mecham didn't have mecham stamped on them, sometimes I guess they don't. I was told prodyno used to make them for mecham so maybe it is through them. The chrome isn't even peeling on these, they need to be polished and put on with a band clamp and done.

If these didn't function or that hole was a issue before when on my buddies bird, I wouldn't have sold them, I would have just thrown them out.. but that is not the case. Since I have seen these on a car in the exact shape and condition they are in now that worked and looked great, I know these are fine. The shipping as I said was even more then you paid me, but I didn't care much and just let it go. I only wound up selling the actual tips for like $40, the rest came out for shipping. I don't know what else to tell you, I know they work fine and look great on the car and I will help you sell them wherever but you can't ask me to take something back that said no refunds on to begin with and because they are basically dirty. This hole is being turned into a scapegoat..
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For $50, you get what you paid for. I don't see an issue with the hole at all, it's not like it's going to mess with air/fuel before an O2 sensor or something.

Buyer beware and you bought an appearance item which looks just like what's in the pictures. Now if he showed you pictures from Mechams website and then sent you the ones in your hands, then it'd be a different story. Stick em in a bath of warm soapy water for a half hour and they'll shine like new.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
For $50, you get what you paid for. I don't see an issue with the hole at all, it's not like it's going to mess with air/fuel before an O2 sensor or something.

Buyer beware and you bought an appearance item which looks just like what's in the pictures. Now if he showed you pictures from Mechams website and then sent you the ones in your hands, then it'd be a different story. Stick em in a bath of warm soapy water for a half hour and they'll shine like new.
Thank you, this is what I have been trying to say this whole time. I know they are not in the best brand new shape..but they are also dirt cheap. They have been laying on my table in my garage as paper weights so I just wanted to see if anyone wanted them. I priced it accordingly, its less then the price of one new tip, and works just as good, just need to be polished a bit. The chrome isn't even peeling yet on these like most mechams have that issue. Just clean them up, throw a band clamp on it and they are good to go!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't matter. The hole was NOT explained, the buyer shouldn't have to even think about asking about it since it wasn't shown.

It's not a matter of the 'they will function fine'.

They are not what in the condition they should be.
I'd be mad as hell if I bought something like that shown in the pictures & they arrived with holes, & the seller wasn't helping. Hell, I'd even file a Paypal claim if I had to, to resolve it.

Alchemist, ..., I'd bet $100 you wouldn't accept it either if it happened to you.
You wouldn't put them on your car with a hole in them.

Had anyone seen the ad, with the holes & the notes that they were there, the sale would have gone COMPLETELY different. No doubt in my mind. No matter what the current sale/buyer paid for them, it would have gone differently.

IBTL, ...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

I would buy them because they were on the car fine. And how am I suppose to know of something that I don't know if they come with or not? I never bought exhaust tips before these, so I figured the hole was just a extra mounting option since its so smooth and even. They are almost a 1/4 of the price of the tips brand new, and work/look fine. The hole neither affects nor do you SEE it in the exhaust.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fccs
Thank you, this is what I have been trying to say this whole time. I know they are not in the best brand new shape..but they are also dirt cheap. They have been laying on my table in my garage as paper weights so I just wanted to see if anyone wanted them. I priced it accordingly, its less then the price of one new tip, and works just as good, just need to be polished a bit. The chrome isn't even peeling yet on these like most mechams have that issue. Just clean them up, throw a band clamp on it and they are good to go!
Story does not compute. If they were sitting on your table, then you would have known about the holes, but you have stated that you did not know about the holes since they were on a buddies car....sounds strange!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by travisnd
Story does not compute. If they were sitting on your table, then you would have known about the holes, but you have stated that you did not know about the holes since they were on a buddies car....sounds strange!
No I meant I did not know they weren't on these tips to begin with. I figured the tips just had holes like that for extra mounting or something, since my friend had them on his bird fine with band clamps and never told me had a issue I figured thats just the design. Do you really think im going to try and act fishy over friggen $40 exhaust tips... Seriously, your thinking way to hard over this

My friend used them this summer since I did not, after the summer ended he gave them back to me since he was switching tips, so ever since then they have just been laying on my table.. as seen in the pictures STILL ON MY TABLE. lol
Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I can chime in here...

I originally got these tips from Pro-Dyno, who made the Power Oval tips for Mecham.

They're identical in every way except they do not have the Mecham stamped logo....

Apparently, Mecham had a $h!tfit when they found out they were being undersold by Pro-Dyno and ordered them to stop, so they're no longer available through them (last I checked, they were only available in black)

I drilled the holes for spark plugs (large holes) and injector nozzles (small holes) for my flamethrower system....

The spark plugs and injectors were completely hidden from sight, so I'm not really sure how the holes will pose a problem in this case

They're easily covered with large band clamps like these....

In fact, the smaller bandclamps that were sold through Pro-Dyno and Mecham were not sufficient for these tips and one of them actually fell off one day

This was back when they were $115 through Pro-Dyno and close to $200 from Mecham, so there was plenty of cussing when I heard it go "ting-ting ting-scraaaaaaape-ting" as it hit the ground

When I had my 3.5" system built by Denny at Mufflex, he told me to ditch the dinky clamps and installed the larger band clamps

When I repainted my T/A, I bought new tips from Mecham (as they were no longer available through Pro-Dyno) and sold the car not too long after that....

I didn't have any use for the old ones, so I gave them to the first person who inquired about them (fccs)

That being said, for $50 bucks used, I'd say you got a pretty good deal even in the condition they were in....

If the holes still bother you, I'd suggest putting them up for sale as I'm quite sure someome would be willing to pay more than what you did....

Rick
Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Alchemist, ..., I'd bet $100 you wouldn't accept it either if it happened to you.
You wouldn't put them on your car with a hole in them.
IBTL, ...

STFU, where do you get off saying what I would or wouldn't do? As long as it's hidden from view, and doesn't impact anything, it's not a big deal.

Like I said, it'd be a different story if it were on a set of headers or ypipe and effected O2 readings, but it's at the freakin exhaust tip.

You make concessions when you buy things used. Get over it and move on. You're not building a SEMA car here that's going to have mirrors under the car or else you would have bought them new.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
They're easily covered with large band clamps like these....

No way in hell will a standard band clamp that is 3-4" overall length will cover that hole. It wold have to be 6" overall length!
You WOULD use one of those above to attach the tip to the tailpipe as I had mentioned earlier.
But you have to get a second one, that is about 1-2" overall length to cover the hole.
Again, cheesy way to do it tho, ...

The buyer should really simply clean'em up a bit, & list'em on Ebay for another Honda, Kia, Toyota, ..., or other ricer owner to buy them & use them for same flame-thrower function.
Or maybe someone with a 1953 Buick will buy'em & use for his flame-thrower, ...

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
STFU, where do you get off saying what I would or wouldn't do? As long as it's hidden from view, and doesn't impact anything, it's not a big deal.
I'm saying IT WOULD BE A BIG DEAL IF IT HAPPENED TO YOU.
And don't bullshit anyone & say it would be okay.
So STFU your self if you're gonna be that way.
Attached Thumbnails Mecham power oval tips. Do they come like this-100_7208.jpg   Mecham power oval tips. Do they come like this-100_7210.jpg  
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

No way in hell will a standard band clamp that is 3-4" overall length will cover that hole. It wold have to be 6" overall length!
You WOULD use one of those above to attach the tip to the tailpipe as I had mentioned earlier.
But you have to get a second one, that is about 1-2" overall length to cover the hole.
Again, cheesy way to do it tho, ...

The buyer should really simply clean'em up a bit, & list'em on Ebay for another Honda, Kia, Toyota, ..., or other ricer owner to buy them & use them for same flame-thrower function.
Or maybe someone with a 1953 Buick will buy'em & use for his flame-thrower, ...

I'm saying IT WOULD BE A BIG DEAL IF IT HAPPENED TO YOU.
And don't bullshit anyone & say it would be okay.
So STFU your self if you're gonna be that way.
I know for a FACT a large band clamp works because THAT IS WHAT WE USED TO PUT THEM ON. So telling everyone off including snake who originally HAD THEM on his car is down right ridiculous. You can't tell people what will not and will work when they have done something already and it worked.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

I would buy them because they were on the car fine. And how am I suppose to know of something that I don't know if they come with or not? I never bought exhaust tips before these, so I figured the hole was just a extra mounting option since its so smooth and even. They are almost a 1/4 of the price of the tips brand new, and work/look fine. The hole neither affects nor do you SEE it in the exhaust.
hey man i know how it is to have your head stuck in a book all week stressed out, id blow it off and deal with it later.

on another note i dont understand why everyone has to be a little cry baby over little stuff. These are EXHAUST TIPS, now i can see if these were a set of tail lights or a hood or something that you would see everyday looking/driving the car. but really, who is going to get down on their hands and knees to check if your tips have 1/2" holes in the side of them?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
hey man i know how it is to have your head stuck in a book all week stressed out, id blow it off and deal with it later.

on another note i dont understand why everyone has to be a little cry baby over little stuff. These are EXHAUST TIPS, now i can see if these were a set of tail lights or a hood or something that you would see everyday looking/driving the car. but really, who is going to get down on their hands and knees to check if your tips have 1/2" holes in the side of them?
Thanks, I've been trying to figure this out all day. I feel bad about this sure, but anything used is sold as is, plus I said it before hand. I took pictures for him and just figured that hole was just the way it was since it was already on cars before hand and people had no issues obviously. If I would have known it was going to be this much of a hassle over gas money I would have just never bothered to even sell them.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some people are really picky about their cars. I know I am. I would just refund the guy. Have him send the tips back and just send his money back. It's not that big of a deal. These tips were made custom and you failed to disclose it. Yes, I know, you didn't know about it, but you're still the seller and you should take responsibility. This is an item that was not as described. Someone drilled holes into the sides for a custom application. They should be sold cheap. So the argument that they are expensive new isn't relevant. It isn't unheard of to score these tips cheap either..I bought a set that was in good condition several years ago for under what he paid FWIW
Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I know for a FACT a large band clamp works because THAT IS WHAT WE USED TO PUT THEM ON. So telling everyone off including snake who originally HAD THEM on his car is down right ridiculous. You can't tell people what will not and will work when they have done something already and it worked.

You say Snake had them on his car. Sure he did. But he didn't have the mounting band clamp covering the hole! He had spark plugs in there for his flame-thrower!

So everything I've said is FACT also.
The standard stepped clamp as shown, will not reach back 3" to cover that gawd-damn hole.
If you wanna argue about it & say it will, then post up the proof to show it, as I have done to show that it won't.

The easy way out is use two clamps, plug it, weld it, fill it, ..., or sell the damn things.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
Some people are really picky about their cars. I know I am. I would just refund the guy. Have him send the tips back and just send his money back. It's not that big of a deal. These tips were made custom and you failed to disclose it. Yes, I know, you didn't know about it, but you're still the seller and you should take responsibility. Someone drilled holes into the sides for a custom application. They should be sold cheap. So the argument that they are expensive new isn't relevant.
Even If I refunded him, he wouldn't get the full price he paid back because some went for shipping. So he would be basically loosing almost $20 if I refunded him.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

You say Snake had them on his car. Sure he did. But he didn't have the mounting band clamp covering the hole! He had sprak plugs in there for his flame-thrower!

So everything I"ve said is FACT also.
The standard stepped clamp as shown, will not reach back 3" to cover that gawd-damn hole.
If you wanna argue about it & say it will, then post up the proof to show it, as I have done to show that it won't.

The easy way out is use two clamps, plug it, weld it, fill it, ..., or sell the damn things.
You do know they make longer band clamps then those right.. I have my entire exhaust done with long band clamps since im lowered and didn't want those U clamps scraping. So if your not a retard like you say, how come you don't know this?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

You do know they make longer band clamps then those right.. I have my entire exhaust done with long band clamps since im lowered and didn't want those U clamps scraping. So if your not a retard like you say, how come you don't know this?
I guess I'm retarded. I didn't know you used a SPECIAL long clamp to cover the hole.
I call bullshit. I think you're makin' **** up now to cover the story the way you want it told.
Doesn't matter, ..., IBTL, ...,

Quick Reply: Mecham power oval tips. Do they come like this