Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Zaino or Menzerna/Blackfire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you using the intensive menzerna or the final stuff?
Old 03-06-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use both of the Menzerna polishes.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great pic BLUEBYU, and a true testament to the quality of Zaino! Great job. I just hope you actually drive it, too!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

blah blah blah zaino zaino zaino, open your eyes people there is more to zaino! www.autopia.org Who wants to mix stuff and play around with 20 different polishes. Get a 2 step process. Menzerna Intensive/Final than Blackfire or Menzerna/Klasse AIO/Sealer Glaze.

This is what 2 coats of klasse looks like:

Old 03-07-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks damn shiny to me
Old 03-07-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by qwik3r
blah blah blah zaino zaino zaino, open your eyes people there is more to zaino! www.autopia.org Who wants to mix stuff and play around with 20 different polishes. Get a 2 step process. Menzerna Intensive/Final than Blackfire or Menzerna/Klasse AIO/Sealer Glaze.

This is what 2 coats of klasse looks like:

holy **** that looks good.

what color is that?

was it with a PC or hand?
Old 03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love people who have never used Zaino and think there are 20 steps, polishes, etc. don't like Zaino, you know you get an "informed" opinion. I tried about every product there was for 30+ years and Zaino is my hands down favorite for several reasons. Ease of use, shine, durability and protection.

Bottom line is that people should try different products and use what they like best.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have used zaino for serveral years bub and the only reason people love it so much is because its pushed on the forums, not in stores or on any retailer websites. Its good stuff, like it and have used it hundreds of times. Makes my car look like plastic.

Brandon the color is Electron Blue and i applied and buffed with a porter cable 7424
Old 03-07-2004, 07:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well i just got done using zaino for the first time and i think it kicks ***. it was so easy to apply and now my car feels and looks like glass. my vote is for zaino.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am EXTREMELY experienced in the use of Zaino, I've used it for about 4 years now, I currently use it on some vehicles, and I'm fully versed in its methods. My choice not to say "it is the best" stems from experience with so many other top-notch products that do other things better IMHO.

To claim that someone who doesn't think Zaino is best product out there has never used it isn't necessarily true.

I have yet to find a product that I consider the "best I have ever used at everything". And certainly, no product ist the "bottom line" when it comes to sealing/waxing. Zaino is one tool in an arsenal of many.

As of late, my preferred sealant has been Blackfire, but I like Klasse and Zaino alot, and I've also been experimenting recently with Meguiars NXT and have been very impressed with the results.

In fact, were I to name one single product that I feel makes the most difference in my detailing regimen I would say it is Mezerna Intensove Polish. With this product I can completely and honestly (i.e. no fillers) remove all swirls from my paint finish.

On Dark cars, however, I still prefer to top sealants with a layer or two (or five) of pinnacle souveran paste. I prefer the deeper, wetter look this provides.

Last edited by SuperBuick; 11-23-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i just got done using zaino for the first time and i think it kicks ***. it was so easy to apply and now my car feels and looks like glass. my vote is for zaino.
How can your vote mean anything if you haven't even TRIED the Menzerna/Blackfire combo?????
Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Am i reading this right on the menzerna...

"From anyone else, Menzerna Intensive Polish would be called an abrasive compound. It removes 2000 grit sanding traces, swirls and paint defects. Menzerna calls it a polish because it removes these defects with minimum or no loss of surface gloss. On most light colors you can go from Intensive Polish directly to finishing with your favorite wax or sealant. On dark color paints, a subsequent once over with Menzerna Final Polish will produce a completely swirl-free, high gloss surface."

That seems pretty abrasive to me, especially after watching my friend wetsand and buff his truck yesterday....

Seems like it would have a lot of cut to it....?

The car I'll hopefully have in a few days is NBM with swirls, but nothing horrindous looking. Would it be best to use the intensive with a PC or hand, then the final, then blackfire etc..... ?

What happened to the Meguairs swirl remover, did everyone quit using that for menzerna or whats the deal?

Also is Klasse polymer or is it wax?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly, the only way to get rid of swirls like they say without filling is to take down the area surrounding the scratch. Too abrasive for me, thank you.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Guys - Menzerna is an abrasive, but NOTHING that is gonna cause damage to your paint. The amount of cut it has, and combined with the tame-ness of a Porter Cable dual-action polisher, you'd have to stand on the thing for an hour to get it to put any damage into your finish.

The only way you are going to remove your swirls is by using an "abrasive". Brandon - on a car like you are describing you will need to use a PC. Intensive Polish followed by Final Polish. Nothing has happened to the meguiars products - they are still used and still great products. The problem with the meguiars is that they contain fillers - with Menzerna you do not have to deal with filers - what you see is what you get - and you can ask the users on this board who have tried Intensive and final polish - the results are VERY impressive. Other options are Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish and 3M Finesse-It.

Klasse is a polymer products company - All-in-one is a cleaner/polymer combo and Sealant Glaze is a pure acrylic polymer that you put on after All in One.

Minivette - I understand your reservations, but you don't know what you're missing out on!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

SuperBuick, thanks for the info.

I would rather remove the swirls than fill them. So after the menzerna steps, the Sealant glaze is all that is needed? If not, why would all in one be needed?

While we are at it, I would imagine dawn wash, then clay.... name a good bar. Since it looks like I'll be ordering Klasse or Blackfire.... hell maybe zaino... who knows.... whats a good bar? Pinnacle?

I dont want to spend tons on polishes that i have to use every week etc, but I don't want to cut corners either. I'd have no problem spending what it takes to get it right.
In this small hole of a town, most people know me from keepin my truck clean. Someone could be driving a muddy *** truck, and dew spots be on mine and they would ask me why its so dirty.... odd...

Anyways... lets get some thoughts on Towels too. microfiber or cotton etc...
How about someone compile a thread with detailing info for a sticky?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by minivette
Exactly, the only way to get rid of swirls like they say without filling is to take down the area surrounding the scratch. Too abrasive for me, thank you.
actually, i think i may have had the worst swirls ever on my car. i used colorx (meguiars) and put two coats of it on my car. it isn't abrasive. i now can't find swirls if i try. it amazed me, and very little usually amazes me when it comes to car detailing.

and while i'm complimenting meguiar's new products, i'll add that a nice layer or two of the new nxt tech-wax after you use your colorx will make your car look beautiful. i think it competes very well with zaino, and personally i believe it looks better. colorx and tech wax will cost you a total of around $20, and it'll last a while.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperBuick
Minivette - I understand your reservations, but you don't know what you're missing out on!!!
I don't need to remove any swirl marks... I've always used Zaino and the proper towels.

Actually... I understand your point and if I did have swirls and couldn't get rid of them I would probably give this a try.

Would you recommend this over the 3M swirl remover for say a black top? ...and no, I didn't scratch my black top. I had a small part repainted and they decided to buff the whole thing.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by minivette
Would you recommend this over the 3M swirl remover for say a black top? ...and no, I didn't scratch my black top. I had a small part repainted and they decided to buff the whole thing.
i have used the 3m stuff before. it does not work nearly as well as the colorx does.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's actually pretty tough to try to take a good picture of your car, and then wind up accidentally showing off your swirls; but i managed to do it. it's a picture i never thought i'd show anyone, but here i am showing it afterall! the swirls aren't terribly obvious here, but they are noticeable. trust me, in the absolute direct sunlight, they were far worse.

i had another picture that showed them horribly, but it bothered me so much that i had to completely remove it from my computer. i removed it from my computer before i stumbled upon the colorx. if i had known that i would eventually get rid of all the swirls, i would have just held on to the picture, knowing that i would use it for something like this. but at the time, i didn't want a picture bringing out the absolute worse attribute of my car and reminding me everytime i saw the picture. i kept this picture, because, at the time, i didn't think it was one of the bad ones. THAT should tell you just how bad my swirls were, and especially so after you see the picture(s).

the second picture is after one coat of colorx, and it is in the direct sunlight i was just talking about. no swirl marks. there were still a few slightly obvious to me, so i did another coat of colorx eventually. but i don't have any pics after the 2nd coat. that's not necessary anyway, since the picture after one coat of colorx obviously shows the power of the product.

BEFORE COLORX

AFTER COLORX

Last edited by tuffluck; 03-08-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Brandon- there are alot of good clay bars. Zaino, Pinnacle, mothers, clay magic, and zymol are all great clay bars - get whichever one of them is easiest for you to obtain - you'll get great results from any of those.

Klasse, Blackfire, Zaino - all are great polymer sealants each with a personality of their own. Klasse is an acrylic sealant, Blackfire a wet-looking polymer sealant and Zaino a bright-looking polymer sealant. I've used them all and found great durability and ease of application in all cases. I have black cars so I prefer the Blackfire, but on a silver or lighter color car it'd be a toss-up between Zaino and Klasse - both are great products.

In terms of getting a polish that you have to use every week - Menzerna is NOT that type of a product. If you take the time to apply it properly like the directions state, you will remove all of your swirls (REMOVE - not FILL), and you won't have to redo it unless you screw it up yourself with poor washing technique. ColorX is a great off-the-shelf alternative to some of the more specialized polishes (3m, menzerna, meguiars DACP), but bear in mind that it does have some fillers and is more of an "all in one" type product. A bad product?? Abslutely not - but for the ultimate in perfection sometimes you need to get more specialized. I used colorX on my Daily driver as of two weeks ago (colorx just came out) and I LOVE it.

Minivette - if you're going to be polishing out the top by hand, I'd say go with either. Because you won't be able to break down the abrasives all that much I wouldn't expect to see much difference. In fact, if you're doing it by hand - you might want to give colorX a try first - its only $6 and with a little time you should see most of your swirls gone.

If you plan on getting it to perfection - I'd absolutely stand by the menzerna polishes applied with a porter cable. If I had some online hosting I'd post some direct sunlight pictures of my black hood after menzerna IP/FP. You'd see a 100% swirl free finish (WITHOUT fillers) I think I might have sent the photo to a few guys on this forum so if anyone has it can you post it? (the hood only shot in direct sunlight)

Tuffluck - I can see why you're so ecstatic over these new products - you've done a great job on your camaro - I can definetely see those holograms in the first pic!!

Last edited by SuperBuick; 11-23-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Zaino or Menzerna/Blackfire?