Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What's the best way to restore the black molding on bumpers and doors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best way to restore the black molding on bumpers and doors?

I'm going to be detailing a Volvo 850 this weekend and it has that black plastic type molding stuff all around the car. It has turned gray/white and faded.

What's a good way to restore it?

TIA..

Eric
Old 01-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Re: What's the best way to restore the black molding on bumpers and doors?

Clay them. Use a claybar separate from the one you use on the paint. The claybar will remove the contaminants that have dug into the surface. Then you can try the chemicals others suggested (Mother's back to black, etc). I have clayed the trim on a friend's Ford Tauras (Green car with green trim) and it was a night-and-day difference. If the surface is really pitted, use a light rubbing compound (like the Meguire's clear-coat safe one or something rougher like 3M Finesse-It II). This was on a car with trim that was the same color as the car. If the trim on the Volvo is just plain black rubber, you can try the Mother's Back-to Black first, but claying may work there too (I dont know, never tried).

--VIP1
Old 01-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: What's the best way to restore the black molding on bumpers and doors?

Thanks guys...I'll try the clay and then the Back to Black stuff....

Eric
Old 01-30-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Usually I rub it kind've hard while washing the car to get off any oxidation. Then, I use a product called 'black Magic', that I get from the local Autozone. It make my Volvo 740 look pretty good.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Also, Mother's Back to Black works well. I buy it at Autozone.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to restore the black molding on bumpers and doors?