Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How much does knowledge of powerplant affect your view of appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I like the way my LT1 car looks, if any thing thats why I keep it because it's cool to look at. But after owning it for 11 years, I have zero desire to own another 4th gen ever again, LS1 or not. I like the way the 98+ TA WS6s cars look, but they don't really have the same effect on me they did say 5+ years ago. Now it's just kinda like, meh, another 4th gen, they don't really impress me that much any more.
While I sort of agree, I dont find anything else that would really replace it...

New camaro? Heavy IRS not a fan of the look. Same with GTO.

New mustang is sick, but not really my taste.

Vette? They are again very sweet vehicles but I dont think a c6 would really replace the joy I get in driving my loud very muscle car feeling 4th gen.

If I really ever had the cash to buy something that new and still have cash to mod it... I would honestly look at doing a resto mod. Older gto or firebird with a EFI motor 6 speed and some crazy chassis setup. But thats just me.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot about the "what people drove in highschool" factor... Maybe that is why I like some of the older styling?

I've owned:

1987 Firebird
1994 Z28
1998 Z28
1978 Trans-Am
1999 Trans-Am
1995 Trans-Am
1998 Z28
2004 GTO

In that order, still have the 1998 Z28, rest are gone.

That being said, I pretty much owned them all while they were what was just in a couple years before, lol. In other words, there were still plenty of LT1 guys when I had my first one (1997-2002) BUT LS1s were already on the road...

I loved the 1991-1992 style Z28 because a friend had one, fell in love with a red 1995 Z28 because a friend got one in like 1996. I still love the way most of them look, it is just one of those things where I can't get past knowing what is under the hood.

Again, you can put anything under the hood but I'm just talking in general... I say a great looking third gen, early fourth gen, etc... and think, "Man those cars look great, even better than stock Z28s and Forumulas"... then it goes straight to, "Too bad it is just a XXX engine." and it is tainted, lol.

I still would love to own a 1991-1992 (because of the color interior and the fact they still had forged pistons) 5.0 Mustang (preferably red or white GT) but can never bring myself to buy one since they are just so dated now and have the whole "215hp from the factory", lol, lack of appeal. Plenty of fast ones out there, just makes me think 80's/90's fast, not 2000's 500hp factory cars fast, you know?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i totally profile cars that way, although if they sound modded (in a good way) i give the benefit of the doubt either way. there are plenty of cars i think are cool that made **** power, i generally think "man imagine if that had an ls!". i think the stock factor is what ruins it.

mark i did it the other day looking at your valve covers/stock heads
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irish350
yeah i totally profile cars that way, although if they sound modded (in a good way) i give the benefit of the doubt either way. there are plenty of cars i think are cool that made **** power, i generally think "man imagine if that had an ls!". i think the stock factor is what ruins it.

mark i did it the other day looking at your valve covers/stock heads
Lol. Yeah, they're killing my cam. I've had ported heads sitting in storage for over a year now
Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The knowledge of the power plant always leaves me at "it looks sick.. but.." if it is a less powered one. It doesn't mean I wouldn't drive it though. I've been wrestling with doing a Gallardo for a good 6 months, and I just can't pull the trigger because I know it won't be modded for a year or so. To do it, I'd need to sell the Viper, and I just can't lose that power, call it an addiction.

I think anything (within reason) that is clean, with a nice set of wheels and a little lowered can look great.

Case in point:

Acura NSX, 270HP or whatever, dog slow, 20 years old, and still looks awesome:

I guess what it boils down for me is, I'd need to have a fast car along with the one that 'looks sick.. but.."
that car still looks sexy after all these years.. i wouldn't mind having a slower car if it looked that good.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chaman
Agree. With those in mind is why I think the LS1 TA/WS6 will become a timeless design. My opinion is based on:

...so naturally some will disagree.
Agreed. Your car looks incredible too. I will be getting in an fbody again sometime.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am older than most on this forum, and at a point where I could have bought any year fbody I wanted (or other cars for that matter). I used to own a LT1 Trans Am, it was always my favorite car of all I have owned. So when I decided I wanted another one, I wanted the LT1 style...period. I knew the LS1's were faster, but I like the style of the LT1. I looked at LS1's, drove a few, but I just like the looks of the LT1 TA better. So that's what I got. When I pass a LS1 on the road, there is no envy or regret on my part.

Strictly speaking about looks, the late 70's always turn my head. That's what the rich kids were driving when I was in high school. But for personal use, I like a more modern styling and handling.

Worrying about which engine was more potent off the showroom floor is pointless. There is so much aftermarket that any LS1 out there might get beaten by an LT1, or any LT1 might get beaten by an LS1.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Launching!

I bought my 3rd Gen Formula new in Sept 1988......it was my DD for about 8 years.....then I just drove it on weekends. When I finally decided to give it a make over. Of course everyone wanted me to put an LS1 in it.......but I decided to build a forged TPI. It's still not fast put it's a blast to drive. Here's run a track last fall.......click to view

Last edited by WipFbody; 02-06-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get a lot of that it looks sick, but its an LT1. Even though its fast and cammed it doesn't matter because its an LT1. I like both body styles, but I prefer mine because in the years Ive had it Ive very rarely seen an LT1 WS6, let alone a red one with gunmetal accents. Everyone has LS1s. Guess I'm different in that way
Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

For me, the powerplant of a car doesn't determine what I think of the appearance. Most cars that are clean and well taken care of I can appreciate without a problem. However, sometimes when I think about GETTING the car, if it lacks in power (and still looks great) there's a good chance I might not want it.

Example: Mercedes E320 - one of the body style's I really like. But I would only get the E500/E55. Maybe if I DROVE one I'd feel differently.. guess I'm just addicted to upwards of 300HP.

But on the other hand... this WAS my last car. *puts on flame suit*

Last edited by 98 WS6; 02-06-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Public appearance means a lot. A viper, vette, foreign exotic etc will always get the looks from the general public. For me, it wouldn't matter if it was a 2000lb Miata with an LS7 at 500hp, its still a ******* Miata and that sucks and I wouldnt drive it. Luckily for me, people recognize my car as a Camaro, but around here you dont see many of them, and hardly none are clean. So that puts me up with the Vette category with the general public. I dont care what you enthusiast ***** think of me
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

I will give an ugly car the benefit of the doubt because of he powerplant.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Public appearance means a lot. A viper, vette, foreign exotic etc will always get the looks from the general public. For me, it wouldn't matter if it was a 2000lb Miata with an LS7 at 500hp, its still a ******* Miata and that sucks and I wouldnt drive it. Luckily for me, people recognize my car as a Camaro, but around here you dont see many of them, and hardly none are clean. So that puts me up with the Vette category with the general public. I dont care what you enthusiast ***** think of me
That's how it was with the S2000. I would have people literally flying through traffic trying to get to me, and if you weren't a car enthusiast no one knew what kind of car it was. Then after they ask, "Oh... It's a Honda.."
Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

to the OP i 100% agree with what you said i mean i love how sick LT1s camaros look but the fact that 98-02 got LS1 inside makes me like the cat fish front of the 98+ hence i own one
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

to me it doesn't matter what's under the hood. one of my favorite 3rd gens is probably the slowest t/a in existance. the 1982 Recaro which had a wimpy 165hp Cease fire 305, but being that i loved knight rider, i really like the 82-83 recaro and SE T/A.

as for 4th gens, again i agree with you, the LT1 WS6 imo is the best looking 4th gen which is why i added the hood and box to mine. i would take an LT1 T/A over the LS1 camaro any day (no offense camaro guys it just looks like a catfish to me, lol) I still think i prefer the LT1 WS6 nose to the LS1 WS6 nose too. i think the ram air hood and front end flows better with the rest of the car than the LS1 T/A, the LS1 looks like it got punched in the nose.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

It may also depend on if you have a mullet...or your hat on sideways.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

For me, I think it depends on the car. Personally, i dislike just about anything from the '80s. Even tho technically 4th gens are from the '80s.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The performance from the factory means very little to me because you can make anything fast.

To me it's all about the lines and proportions of the car, the rest is just a blank canvas to start building with.

I think all 4th gens are timeless in design and will always turn heads if they're clean and tastefully modded.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

I think for me that one aspect must compliment the other most of the time. If the car has a bad *** look, it needs to have bad *** power, or at least something respectable. If you think about it, its those few little exterior tweaks that usually signify a superior car. Case in point, the late 4th gen WS6. you knew it was as least a little more powerful with some suspension **** on it if it was labeled WS6 back in the day. or the small tweaks on an 03-04 cobra. a bit different fascia and hood, and you knew it backed up that look with more hp. That NSX looks pretty cool yeah, but most of us know the first thing that jumps in our head is the low hp numbers it actually produced. thats the key. when you set your eyes on a decent looking car, the next immediate impulse your mind goes to is whats under the hood. pretty much hand in hand. i dont really admire a car that performs really well and looks like dick.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
It may also depend on if you have a mullet...or your hat on sideways.
***** funny

Quick Reply: How much does knowledge of powerplant affect your view of appearance?