Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How much does knowledge of powerplant affect your view of appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How much does knowledge of powerplant affect your view of appearance?

Long wordy tittle, didn't know how else to say it... BASICALLY, I find myself liking certain body styles:

1991-1992 Z28s
1996-1997 SSs
1996-1997 WS6s

but then knowing they aren't the fastest cars out there (not going to get into an argument about what you can and can't do with those engines, they came with under 300hp at the motor, therefore they are not the fastest cars) taints the way I see them, makes them less attractive.

I was thinking about it tonight when a guy at the drive thru was complimenting my car. Happens a lot and I was just wondering if I'd get the same compliments in a cammed third gen (my car is as audibly noticeable as it is visually, lol).

1967-1969s always get respect, early 70's get respect but mid to late 70s up through the 90s are seen as slow and less desirable.

Made me think the fact that my car came with an LS1 will make it more appealing to future generations than the late second gens, third gens and early fourth gens.

So, how much do you think powerplant recognizability affects the appearance desirability of the car?

I'm not going to lie, I don't even like the LS1 tail light to LT1 tail light conversion for this very reason (makes me think the car is an LT1 from the back, less desirable)...

I wish I could shake it, if I could I would have done an LT1 SS front end conversion on my car (back in the day before I started this business and before they even made Sunoco hoods let alone me having one)...
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess for me it doesnt taint the way I view them, but it does dictate whether Im going to buy one. My favorite Camaros from a looks standpoint are the slower third gens. 88-90 Irocs and the 91-92 Z28's. When you do the right things to these cars, they are GORGEOUS and when I did own them back in the day, they got constant compliments. I will own a 91-92 3rd gen again, but not untill I can afford to buy the car and immediately swap a LSx/t56 , full suspension and wheels/tires.

So I guess maybe for me, it really is just more the powerplant as oppossed to just not wanting the car because it is percieved as slow because it was in fact slow. Fix the powerplant and Im all good.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With this knowledge of the powerplant, even though you like the body style, would still make for a good project to have it perform the way you want it to. For some reason, I still want a 91~ish Camaro with the 350 TPI. I don't care. I'll run it for a bit. I remember seeing that engine back in high school thinking "Woah! I want that!" Then I saw the LT1's and didn't really know the difference. I thought it was a different intake. A buddy had a black LT1 TA in HS with a missfire, but even the sight of that car was just intimidating. an LT1 back in the late 90's was, to me, just unspeakable. Never really cared for the 5.0 mustangs. I mean I did, but I never really wanted one.

I just always had a thing for the TPIs. I knew mine had a V8 when I bought it, but I didn't know what was in it until I started researching it a year or two later.

I'd almost like to do a period correct build with some bolt ons from the 90's on the 91 IROC. I love the third gens. Was my first car. 85 Firebird with a two point great vee six. Knowing what I know now, I could have squeezed a couple ponies out of that V6 with some TLC. Timing advance, seafoam, maybe even a cam advance and hog out the TB. I know it was a turd like you wouldn't believe. It had NO *****. That 700R4 was a nightmare too. Downshift and it would just sit there and scream..... It wouldn't move. But what attracted me to that car was when I was on the HW with it going to auto school in 99. I had my XL Coffee from D&D on the center console and I would switch lanes and the coffee didn't budge. That car rode great. Very little body roll during a normal drive and it would go where you pointed it.

Man I miss that car. Loved the interior. Was like a cockpit. Mine is now too, but that was a great first car. Plus with Knight Rider and all.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-05-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

IMO powerplant does nothing for how I think a car looks.

In 69 I believe there was 3-4 motors that came in camaros and they all looked the same pretty much appearance wise. I'd want a copo more than anyone of them since it was a sleeper and had the 427.

With newer cars I prefer the 98-02 styling on all fbodies the most. I wouldn't buy an lt1 car even with a front and rear conversion simply cause I would prefer and ls1 but it still is as attractive on the outside.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I guess for me it doesnt taint the way I view them, but it does dictate whether Im going to buy one. My favorite Camaros from a looks standpoint are the slower third gens. 88-90 Irocs and the 91-92 Z28's. When you do the right things to these cars, they are GORGEOUS and when I did own them back in the day, they got constant compliments. I will own a 91-92 3rd gen again, but not untill I can afford to buy the car and immediately swap a LSx/t56 , full suspension and wheels/tires.

So I guess maybe for me, it really is just more the powerplant as oppossed to just not wanting the car because it is percieved as slow because it was in fact slow. Fix the powerplant and Im all good.
That pretty much is the way I feel. Although, I have never owned a Camaro and probably never will, I do have a soft spot for the 88-90 Irocs.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

^ I actually like the WS6's better than my Camaro. But maybe the look of my car is just getting stagnant.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not at all for me, I'd swap motors. I always was curious how a 383 TPI with updated runners, vortec base and heads would run. Should be cheap. A third gen or even an LT1 for that matter are excellent bases even with lower horsepower. I've got a good friend I grew up with has a 92 Z28 with an L98. White with red leather, he's the second owner and has been since 1996. That was in high school, and since I grew up in the 80's that's all I've ever wanted. 91-92 z28 or an IROC. To this day that car still feels stronger low rpm (well, below 1500 anyway) than my cammed LS1. After that, it's pretty well embarrassing. It does still handle like it's on rails even with 100+k on it. I owned an LT1 before my LS1

I still love a third gen, my parents bought a brand new one in 1985, Z28, black, 5 speed with a 305 HO. Truth be told, my z71 would outrun one now but it was tough back then.

Don't tell anyone, but I've always wanted a notchback foxbody
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

^ My buddy has three of em.. Well, two notches and one hatch. only one runs. the 5.0 is siezed and he'll never finish the SVO swap on the other. He said he's gonna pack up, give **** away and move away. I'm hoping he leaves me one of his stangs. First to go is those damned seats. HORRID!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

The knowledge of the power plant always leaves me at "it looks sick.. but.." if it is a less powered one. It doesn't mean I wouldn't drive it though. I've been wrestling with doing a Gallardo for a good 6 months, and I just can't pull the trigger because I know it won't be modded for a year or so. To do it, I'd need to sell the Viper, and I just can't lose that power, call it an addiction.

I think anything (within reason) that is clean, with a nice set of wheels and a little lowered can look great.

Case in point:

Acura NSX, 270HP or whatever, dog slow, 20 years old, and still looks awesome:

I guess what it boils down for me is, I'd need to have a fast car along with the one that 'looks sick.. but.."
Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IDK, Ive owned old school muscle (couple GTOs and a Cutlass) 2 third gens, a LT1 Camaro, a LS1 Trans Am convertible, and a 08 Lexus IS250. Still have my first car, which is a 72 GTO that I learned to drive on, one third gen, and my LT1 Camaro. Fastest stock probably would have been the LS1 Trans Am, i dont know what it was but it just didnt hold the attraction like my LT1 Camaro does. I think its because the LT1 Camaro was "The Car" to have in high school. Most of us drove third gens at the time, hence why I think I still have a love affair with my 91. Something about that body styling just had me searching for years to find another one after selling my 89. No where fast by any means...any thirdgen...but nice looking and tons of potential is what I love about those.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Wow looks fast.....oh wait its a 3.8L

Yeah dumb "arguement" here.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

to me it does and it doesn't. case in point, my car, it's not the fastest car out there, but I've made it faster. There's always a potential to drop in a bigger motor or SC/TC it. However the starting platform does regulate how far you can go with it.

Ex. I'd take an LT1 SS over an LS1 SS any day of the week. Just because I like the styling more. The sharper more aggressive tones are more attractive to me. In retrospect, I'd LOVE to have a LS1 Formula Firehawk or Formula WS6 over my car's front end. (I've even thought about swapping out)
Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

I think hotrodding is all about your personal vision. Taking the body style you like best and then modifying it til' it performs the way you want. As for what the general public will like best, the usual suspects. Whatever the press or their favorite celebrity glamorizes is what they will respond to.

I constantly get people looking at my Skylark and yelling "nice GTO!". And when I used to drive my 62 Corvette people would say: "Wow, cool Cobra!". So, if you want to please the general public, paint it the brightest color you can find and put chrome 22s on it. That ought to do it these days. But, for me I say create the car that inspires your imagination.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Knowledge of power plant really doesn't affect my like or dislike of the appearance of a car. When I bought my now sold LT1, I bought it for the looks despite the fact that I knew the LS1 is a faster car in stock setup. I actually found LS1s at the time that were the same price as the LT1 I bought, but I didn't care because I just wanted the cleanest, lowest miles LT1 I could find. The only reason why I got rid of it was that it was so freaking unreliable that I could never enjoy the car. My current LS1 is NOTICEABLY faster than my old LT1, and although I've only had it a few months, I don't have the passion for it like I did my LT1.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone see the 3rd gen camaro in gmhtp last month,that thing is sick
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess it really does to me. I would love to build a third gen, but if I see a clean one my first thought is always, " That would be sick with an LS in it!" not, " Man clean third gen"

I Love the way formulas look thats why I bought mine. Really, any stock platform under 30k is slow. Hell fast anymore is single digits. I honestly think my H/C spray car is slow.

When its my personal car, I know nothing stock will stay in it so it doesnt really matter to me. I buy what I like, then start building.

I literally had wheels and exhaust on the way before my car was even in my driveway.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I'm not going to lie, I don't even like the LS1 tail light to LT1 tail light conversion for this very reason (makes me think the car is an LT1 from the back, less desirable)...

I think the same way.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

To me it depends on the vehicle. I cannot bring myself to buy an LT1 Camaro, but would jump all over an LT1 TA. On the other end, I'd rather have the LS Camaro's over the LS Birds. I've owned many 3rd gens and still find them appealing, even though I'm now driving a 4th gen.

Speed is not everything, it can be bought and built to be fast. I guess its really all in the eyes of the beholder!!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The knowledge of the power plant always leaves me at "it looks sick.. but.." if it is a less powered one. It doesn't mean I wouldn't drive it though. I've been wrestling with doing a Gallardo for a good 6 months, and I just can't pull the trigger because I know it won't be modded for a year or so. To do it, I'd need to sell the Viper, and I just can't lose that power, call it an addiction.

I think anything (within reason) that is clean, with a nice set of wheels and a little lowered can look great.

Case in point:

Acura NSX, 270HP or whatever, dog slow, 20 years old, and still looks awesome:

I guess what it boils down for me is, I'd need to have a fast car along with the one that 'looks sick.. but.."
Agree. With those in mind is why I think the LS1 TA/WS6 will become a timeless design. My opinion is based on:

...so naturally some will disagree.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the way my LT1 car looks, if any thing thats why I keep it because it's cool to look at. But after owning it for 11 years, I have zero desire to own another 4th gen ever again, LS1 or not. I like the way the 98+ TA WS6s cars look, but they don't really have the same effect on me they did say 5+ years ago. Now it's just kinda like, meh, another 4th gen, they don't really impress me that much any more.

Quick Reply: How much does knowledge of powerplant affect your view of appearance?