Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How much does knowledge of powerplant affect your view of appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
80's is NOT known for being the muscle car power golden days so maybe just seeing late 80's early 90's styling is a turn off?
This is about how i feel.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heavily dislike the LT1 camaros, they look like a pinched turd. however everyone has theyre own image of how a car should look. If you pull up next to a lambo with an F-Body chances are that noones going to look at the Fbody, however the person with a similar taste to yours is going to worship your car.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

If I see any nice sports-type car from any year, even a 6 cylinder Camaro or Firebird, that the owner has kept near perfect and fully detailed, I am giving them a compliment and . The owner obviously has pride in his ride and it doesn't have to have the 'right' powerplant or mods for me.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
knowing they aren't the fastest cars out there (not going to get into an argument about what you can and can't do with those engines, they came with under 300hp at the motor, therefore they are not the fastest cars) taints the way I see them, makes them less attractive.

mid to late 70s up through the 90s are seen as slow and less desirable.

So, how much do you think powerplant recognizability affects the appearance desirability of the car?
They are indeed less attractive to the general populace. So much so that Jalopnik coined a phrase for that timeframe of the mid 70s to mid 80s when cars started looking like cardboard shoe boxes, with performance to match. The time frame in question is dubbed "The Malaise Era". I had two El Caminos from this time period. I am glad I got rid of both. Freakin' ugly turds that probably weigh more than my Jeep with a likely COMBINED tow capacity equal to the Jeep... The Jeep with 420,000 miles... and a 4.0L I6...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Launching!

I definitely would start with a car that has a good appearance......you can always upgrade the performance later.

The 3rd gens have always gotten a bad ramp. I guess that's why I get so much satisfaction when people see what a high end build on a 3rd gen really looks like. You ought to see the faces on some of the guys when a ....3rd gen.....wins BEST OF SHOW.........priceless.

Last edited by WipFbody; 02-10-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a Third Gen:

It also has a streetable 1700HP.

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-09-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by improved1
i heavily dislike the LT1 camaros, they look like a pinched turd. however everyone has theyre own image of how a car should look. If you pull up next to a lambo with an F-Body chances are that noones going to look at the Fbody, however the person with a similar taste to yours is going to worship your car.
Haha i dunno if i would go that far to say there a punched turd! I like ls' better but ive seen some damn good lt's that ls' prob couldnt match. Some guy named envy or something has about the sickest lt ive seen on here, looks way better than my beater!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Here's a Third Gen:

It also has a streetable 1700HP.
That car is so clean it looks like a model toy or something!

My buddy's thirdgen is close to paint I think, definitely going to be one of the sickest thirdgens...
Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I forget his name but envy whatever has one sick lt1,I love the 3rd gens,seen so many sick ones come out of hawks third gen,but I have always liked them,I think I do care about performance,I detailed a guys new sts the other day sweet ride by the way,and I found my self sayin man spend all this money and don't go for the V,lol,I always give props to nice cars though ,does not matter if there 250 hp or 500hp,but I would just like the 500 hp one better
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This topic hits home. Being part of the 'younger' crowd on here, I have some interesting insight, along with the fact that I have an LS1, LT1, and TPI car. I feel the same way as Mark though. If I see a 4th gen F-Body, the first thing I distinguish is LT vs LS. If it's an LT, I automatically think less of it, for no other reason for the engine.

With a 3rd gen, I have a different mentality though. If it's in nice shape, then I have a lot of respect for it, but can never shake the "what if it had an LSx".

From a styling standpoint though (for Camaros) TPI>LT1>LS1.

Every time I drive the IROC, everyone stares, and asks questions. People seem to love that car despite that it's dead quiet and anemically slow. Few people care about the LT1, but everyone tries to street race it. Then, strangely enough and unfortunately, absolutely nobody cares about the LS1 despite how perfectly clean it is, and how astronomically loud it is. Nobody ever seems to look/comment/compliment it.

...the dirty things I'd do to have a clean LS1 3rd gen IROC...

Last edited by Spd-Kilz; 02-10-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with Chaman that the Ls1 Firebird/Trans Am will become timeless much like some of the cars noted in this thread.

I think that no matter what car, it is either 'right' or 'not right' in my eyes. There are people who mods their cars to their liking and enjoy them. Then there are people who just 'get it' and nail the stance/look/theme/etc. These cars look like they are moving when sitting still, or they'll turn a bunch of heads while driving by, and people will notice the attention to detail.

I'd rather have a moderately powered street car that looks 'right' over something that is twice as fast and looks 'not right'. Hopefully you guys will get what I am saying. Once someone nails the look, the power plant becomes an added bonus. Here are a few cars that got everything 'right' in my eyes (no bias of course).

Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

To me its about what the car can become not what it is when I'm looking to buy, but I enjoy the sport and enjoy seeing what other people create. Even if its a car I would never own or mod I can appreciate and enjoy what someone else has created. I had a third gen and loved it, I had a few fox bodies and loved them. I have my ws6 now and love it, the thing that I cant get over is a bone stock car, that turns me away, I enjoy personalizing my vehicles. I also get bummed out to see this sic looking ride and it fires up and has no tone no nothing..
Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

White Lightning: You have good taste. I agree that each one of those cars gets a huge even if they were 'stock'.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I agree with Chaman that the Ls1 Firebird/Trans Am will become timeless much like some of the cars noted in this thread.

I think that no matter what car, it is either 'right' or 'not right' in my eyes. There are people who mods their cars to their liking and enjoy them. Then there are people who just 'get it' and nail the stance/look/theme/etc. These cars look like they are moving when sitting still, or they'll turn a bunch of heads while driving by, and people will notice the attention to detail.

I'd rather have a moderately powered street car that looks 'right' over something that is twice as fast and looks 'not right'. Hopefully you guys will get what I am saying. Once someone nails the look, the power plant becomes an added bonus. Here are a few cars that got everything 'right' in my eyes (no bias of course).

In general I can respect any nice looking car, and still wish it were faster. I think a lot of people are the same way.

But the GNX in this picture is an anomaly. IMO, the Grand National wasn't a great looking car. Average at best. It was fast for it's time and all, but still not a rocket.
However for a lot of people, including myself, the Grand National will ALWAYS be one of those cars that sticks in the annuls of automotive history. There are tons of gorgeous and beautiful cars on the road and on showroom floors, and just as many fast ones, but NOTHING WILL EVER COMPARE to the GNX for me.
I can't say I'd love to own one, but they will always draw respect from me. Every time I see one I stop and stare for an inappropriately long time. There's just something about that car.

Sorry for the but I really wanted to put that out there. There will always be a few cars here and there that amaze and astound for an unexplainable reason. Something that just seems perfect, when you have no idea why.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the LT1 Camaros because of the interior and exterior. I like being the underdog. My car is slower than most fun cars now but it still puts a smile on my face. Plus, there are not that many clean LT1 6 speeds running around anymore.

Seems like all of the LS1 cars were taken care of and still around, LT1 cars were driven into the ground, parted out, and beat to ****. Even at car shows or meet and greets, its all LS1 cars and a few lonely LT1 cars that the LS1 cars must pick on. Ego boost or something.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Default Appearance vs under the Hood

There is something to be said in having a very clean car that looks good,,,,,that will earn some respect but back in the day mid 70s early 80s you got more respect for how it ran and or sounded. We all drove stuff that was new to 15 yrs old and there were no computers or 15 degree heads and all this stuff that started later on down the road. Technology has turned performance on its head these days. The new cars were what was fast in there time period but they were smog dog slow and you had to do alot to make them run===most of it was done at your house in your garage or at a buddys garage or in your driveway cuz u couldnt get into the garage or didnt have one. The people knew that and respected it. It could be rusty,,and faded paint but if it had some Old school centerlines or weld wheels or even Cragars with some Mcrearys and was hittin it was more appealing to me than a brand new 15 second vette or 14 second Grand national. Ive had 3 first gen camaros,,,2 second gen,,,,and one 4th gen and the 4th gen is the best handling,,,most fun to drive but it isnt as cool as any of the others for sure and its a 02LESS.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

I think they styling of the car has more to do with it but what engine/trans combo that was available at the time plays a part too. What I mean is I love 3rd gens but they get a bad rap. I have a clean 89 T/A. I don't know if its because these were the "performance" cars that were around when I was growing up or what. The new cars really don't grab me like the older ones do, well except the new Challenger. The Mustang is OK and I absolutely hate the new Camaro's.

89 GTA, 92 Z28, LT1 SS, LT1 WS6, 87-92 Mustang GT's, Grand National's. However, regardless of the car if it has a V6 in it, and it could have had a V8, I can't stand to look at it. Regardless of how nice the car is.

I have seen some really nice 4th gen F-bodies. When I see the one tail pipe I look away. Same way with Mustangs.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

LT1 tail lights look 100% better than LS1 tail lights.

the lines of the tail lights actually match the body.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by forgedlt4
LT1 tail lights look 100% better than LS1 tail lights.

the lines of the tail lights actually match the body.
With the Camaro that is.

With the Firebird its another story....
Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chaman
With the Camaro that is.

With the Firebird its another story....

i agree with you there 100%

Quick Reply: How much does knowledge of powerplant affect your view of appearance?