Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

In regards to HID's in stock housings....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the whistler MOD help in decreasing the scattered light at all?

I'm planning on putting on HID's but I don't really like the appearance of any of the projector headlights..

I was hoping that the whistler MOD would help on the scattered light...

I also get annoyed at bright HID's pulled up behind me.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
So off-brand piece of **** eBay projectors that are the wrong size are better than HIDs in halogen housings? That's the funniest **** I've heard all day. Awesome thread here guys.
What do you mean "the wrong size"
And depends on the projector. Sure, some aren't great, but others (like the Sonars) aren't bad. And YES, those with HID are better than HID in stock reflectors.

They lit the road up nicely

Yet oncoming traffic would have almost NO GLARE. I can guarantee you that HIDs in the reflector housings have a lot more glare than this.

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
Does the whistler MOD help in decreasing the scattered light at all?

I'm planning on putting on HID's but I don't really like the appearance of any of the projector headlights..

I was hoping that the whistler MOD would help on the scattered light...

I also get annoyed at bright HID's pulled up behind me.
I think it might because you've blacked out the ribbed areas that may otherwise randomly reflect light all over from the HID.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

im planning on getting 6ks in my low and fogs soon and hid's dont bother me undless its that stupid deep ricer blue or on trucks.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as you aim them correctly there not going to blind anyone.
but anyways most people here in socal drive around with there damn highbeams on all the time, so you dont really need to have hids to be a douchbag
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is also a ton of "bros" with there damn prerunner trucks that dont readjust the headlights which will blind you worse, then a welding arc 2inchs from your eye
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why in the **** would you aim your headlights down? Yeah I want better light output, let me aim my lights 5 feet in front of me.

Dumb people destroy this hobby and thats why laws are passed against most any mods.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

hid's in fogs are almost always annoying and blinding imo.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Why in the **** would you aim your headlights down? Yeah I want better light output, let me aim my lights 5 feet in front of me.

Dumb people destroy this hobby and thats why laws are passed against most any mods.
My HID's pointing slightly down still shine more down the roads then OEM bulbs. Any other questions?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking at the pictures in your conversion thread and my stockers covered much more of the road than that. Compared to my BLS kit it's not even a in the same league. It's impossible to get the same or better light coverage than stock lighting with HID in a stock style reflector housing. I know because the previous owner had them installed on my Formula.

There was massive glare unless they were aimed completely down with full adjustment, and at that point they were worthless as headlights because they don't cover enough of the road to be effective. After running over one 18 wheeler retread that I couldn't see on 290 out in the hill country, that was enough proof for me.

I've had all 3 set ups and there it's simply wrong to say that HID in a reflector housing is as good as or better than OEM or projectors. Not.Going.To.Happen.

Compare this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/13223568-post18.html

To this: http://www.blackbirdlighting.com/ima...Output%202.jpg

Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

anybody got a set for sale. lol
Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Did I ever say HID's in a reflector was better then a projector? nope. Personally I hate the look of the projector in a Firebird, reminds me of a frog. Which housing did you have before? I had the Autooptiks which is the same garbage as Euro's and the LMC's are a better "UPGRADE" keyword being upgrade. And also that pic was taken with a cell phone you really think the lens/shutter of a cell phone is going to show that great of detail?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm making a point, don't take it personally. I had LMC housings (which were destroyed when my brother wrecked the car). Even ignoring projectors all together, i'd still use a stock halogen type Sylvania "silverstar" before I used the HID with a reflector and aimed them down to compensate.

The pic may have been taken with a cell phone but it still shows the areas that the lights do and don't light. HID in reflectors aimed down like that will never be able to light up important objects in front of the car in time enough for the driver to react properly, and that's just a fact. (parked cars, animals, pedestrians, signs, pot holes or dips, etc.)

With a projector you can see bambi and the rest of the family a mile off without blinding others. Even the silverstars are a better option than HID/reflectors, unless you are just going for a certain look.

I'm not ball busting, but putting misinformation out there doesn't do anyone a favor.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I had Silverstar's and they weren't much better.... guess we agree to disagree
Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
My HID's pointing slightly down still shine more down the roads then OEM bulbs. Any other questions?
Do you eat paint chips regularly?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Do you eat paint chips regularly?
Nice come back, I'm impressed take long to come up with it? I could just say go **** yourself but I won't
Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
So off-brand piece of **** eBay projectors that are the wrong size are better than HIDs in halogen housings? That's the funniest **** I've heard all day. Awesome thread here guys.

It's also hilarious that most of you guys get so bent out of shape over it. I have 35w HIDs in the euro housings in the bird, but they are 6k and aimed down a considerable amount. A lot of people overreact, thinking all HIDs in halogen housing = ohmyfuckingtits retinas burning and rods and cones fusing I'M GONNA CRASH OH ****!

I mean come on, just look to the opposite side for a split second and you'll be fine. That doesn't rationalize the fact that people botch the installs but it's not as deadly as people make it out to be. And as far as respect for other drivers, that's a crock of ****. I find more people that have no respect or no comprehension of their actions driving like ******** everyday...don't go there with "respect for other motorists" because headlights are the least of my concerns in california .

I know full well that they are not as good as projector set ups, but for the money, I like the difference over the stock lighting. I'd rather spend $500 on going fast. My car is also slammed, so the light output, despite having some scattering, is not as bad as those retards in lifted trucks that shine their 10k HIDs right into your mirror...that **** is annoying.
The sonar projectors still work 100% better than a kit put in reflector housings.

Also no one is over reacting its stupid and blinds the **** out of people oncoming. Pointing them down to try and curb that is an equally stupid idea.

My lights glare at oncoming traffic..hmmm... what should I do? I know! I'll point them down so I have even less light than stock! What a great idea!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will say one thing. I kind of want to watch Star Trek now, nostalgia and all...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to see statistics of how many people have crashed their car because the oncoming driver had HID's in halogen housings. If the numbers are high then I'll believe all the naysayers, but until then I say it doesn't happen.

I have projectors in my G8 with HID's so it's not an issue, but I had them in halogen housings in both my Grand Prixs and never had one single car crash into me. The advantage of projectors is the cutoff line, which reduces the light from shining above that point so it makes them glare less. Here's a pic of HID's in the stock projectors on my car.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Nice come back, I'm impressed take long to come up with it? I could just say go **** yourself but I won't
How do you fathom improper use of equipment as being ok? Do you run drag radials on the front of your car too? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you are doing it right. Hid's are designed to be shielded to prevent glare and increase output. Reflecting them causes intense glare from the beam scatter. This blinds people. Go **** yourself.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

I just love how lots of people go quoting the law on HID in reflector housing.

Yet, lots of these same people...

- drive their vehicle on slicks
- run with open cats
- run with long-tube headers
- doing burn-outs in their neighborhood at + 1am
- cutting people off at full speed between lanes of traffic
- run with all smog-equipment removed

...all in areas where such violations are themselves illegal.

I also run with HIDs in my stockers. Know a number of people who also do. But you know what really bothers me, SUVs with stock HID lighting, where the height of the lights is perfectly at the same height as eye level so that it shines right in my face...or directly in my rear view mirror. Or people that drive with those damn hyper-blue...purple...or green bulbs in their headlights. That's what bothers me. But, as with the SUV comment...to each his own.

Quick Reply: In regards to HID's in stock housings....