Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

In regards to HID's in stock housings....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
No. No. No. No. No. and No.

Bullshit. I noticed an immediate difference to the front and the sides, compared to stock. Otherwise, I wouldn't have kept the HIDs.

And I do have mine aimed down a tad. What...I lost about 3-4ft of lighting. Nothing. And none of my buddies have said the lights are blinding to them when I come towards them or am driving behind them.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
No. No. No. No. No. and No.

Bullshit. I noticed an immediate difference to the front and the sides, compared to stock. Otherwise, I wouldn't have kept the HIDs.

And I do have mine aimed down a tad. What...I lost about 3-4ft of lighting. Nothing. And none of my buddies have said the lights are blinding to them when I come towards them or am driving behind them.
Delusions, y'all haz them.

3-4ft? You must have missed the picture I've already posted that shows a loss of at LEAST 25+ft.

You can claim they are better all you want, but I've had all three systems, it seems you guys are too stuck on the LMC conversion to try projectors. If you had you would know immediately how **** poor the LMC conversion is. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Again, I've had my brother driving behind me in the bird while we were in another car and those lights are obnoxious. You really need to have you vision checked, you might have cataracts? And if you have them in your Z there, how could you possibly have "aimed them down" enough to even make a difference? You have no cutoff shield, no scatter shield, and no adjustment or "eyelid" to act as a crude cut off even if you could aim the headlights down.

Again, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the same ground coverage on a LMC conversion WITHOUT blinding or annoying other drivers/cops. Period, been there, done that.

But by all means, you guys can keep getting the tickets. Just don't be surprised if I high beam your ***.

You are wrong, end of story. Just because stupid is a popular opinion doesn't make it right, politics aside.

Last edited by $750 L98; 02-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

I have HID's in both of my cars. In projectors in the Camaro and in the stock housing in the Cobalt. From my experience, a lot of light and distance is lost with the stock housing, but for me it's worth it. Driving at night kills my eyes and for some reason the blue light is MUCH easier on them. I would say that the highs in the Cobalt are comparable to the lows in the Camaro.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Oh, and never been stopped for them. Going on two+ years and I often pass cops with my highs on, never bother to switch. Not saying it won't catch up to me, because they are obviously not stock, but it hasn't yet.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put hid's in my reverse lights. Haters gunna hate.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

man you guys are overreacting to this ...

ive got 8ks in LMC projectors in my Tahoe, never gotten flashed, but they also are not that bright. before with halogen they were terrible almost had to have h.i.ds

i got 10ks in my stock foglights in the 'Bird and there is no way in hell they blind anyone...never gotten flashed ,never gotten a ticket...

i think its really not a big deal either way ...ive gotten blinded on occasion from a truck with H.ids in stock housing but it really doesnt bother me enough to even flash at them...
Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
I put hid's in my reverse lights. Haters gunna hate.
I blind people when backing up too!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6524331-post4.html
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
I blind people when backing up too!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6524331-post4.html
I have a set of tail lights with melted reverse lenses because of those...
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

I'm one of the people who hate HID's regardless of what housing they are in. The sharp cutoffs, the blueness of the light, the shimmering effect from center to edge beam as well as the cutoff making it looking like the car is flashing you over anything that's not smooth road (which is everywhere in the NE). They leave a lot to be desired in a decent headlight.

That being said, I understand my car sits low compared to most cars on the road. My other camaro i can touch the road without leaning in my seat. I get blinded by many cars, HID or not. I dont bother to flash cuz by the time you they are behind you anyway. And on the empty backroads it's usually high beams being on that is the problem, not what type of light they are using. I never use my highbeams (pretty much ever, I'm not blind in the dark) but lots of other people like to and they usually dont take the time to turn them off to pass one car.

So go HID in whatever housing you want. I consider them a downgrade from a decent halogen. But my night vision isn't so poor as to be blinded anymore by them than by any other person with headlights that are a decent height off the ground or high-beam-a-holics.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I have a set of tail lights with melted reverse lenses because of those...
Damn man you drive in reverse all the time? I've had them for years and no damage. I mean the car is typically in reverse for a few seconds it wouldn't be enough time to melt the lense
Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ exactly , I have my HID's aimed kinda downwards , been running them for a few months , I dont think I've blinded the **** out of anyone like some of you guys think ..

and they are a clear improvement over stock , the lighting is much better , Im sure they would be even better if aimed more upwards but Im happy with the way it is ..

yes Id like to have a nice bls projector kit but Im not spending that kinda money for headlights at the moment ..

HID's in reflector housings are far from being deadly dangerous as some of you guys seem to think they are ..
Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Launching!

I really don't think HID's in all reflective housings are dangerous. I'll say again that some housings are for sure better/worse than others just like some projectors are better/worse than others.

Here's what my LMC's look like aimed correctly (There's some motion blur which you can see on the shopping cart to the left). Is the cutoff clean? Not entirely. Do they light the road up better than the shitty stock seal beams? **** yes. Have others found them blinding? **** no.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, I have mine and have yet to be convinced that I'm wrong.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's pretty crappy looking, to be quite frank.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
That's pretty crappy looking, to be quite frank.
As I said:
Originally Posted by AwsmGy
(There's some motion blur which you can see on the shopping cart to the left).
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

AwsmGy, I think Sparky is pointing out the two highlights above and to the right of each headlight pattern, as well as the uneven light distribution, and the general illumination of the entire wall.

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Damn man you drive in reverse all the time? I've had them for years and no damage. I mean the car is typically in reverse for a few seconds it wouldn't be enough time to melt the lense
Had to reverse down a winding banked mountain road covered in 2" of fresh snow on top of black ice... Didn't think to change the bulbs first... Not your typical daily driving scenario, lol.

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-21-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Unless you have OEM reflector HIDs, keep the HIDs in projectors. Even if they arent "blinding" they are annoying.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not any different than those that have a loud exhaust or loud music that annoys people everywhere. I'm sure there are many here than fall into that category.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
It's not any different than those that have a loud exhaust or loud music that annoys people everywhere. I'm sure there are many here than fall into that category.
Then there are those ******** that have all three like I do! lol
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

FYI, you blinded me in my lifted Jeep when I saw you that one night near MB2. Could have been road angle, but whatever... Eurolamps housings suck - this is proven by light pattern tests... Your lights weren't deadly, but thy were annoying as ****...
That was the day I put them in before I ran off to work. Didn't even adjust em yet. Next time you're at bobs, take a look. They are definitely better now. Perfectly illustrates the difference between people that just plug-and-play, and those that put them in a halogen housing and actually know what to do to make them less irritating. I know it's not the 100% right thing to do when we have resources for projector retrofits, but I'm not going to spend that much on lights right now - that's just me.

Yes, I wish I had the LMC housings now, but live and learn. I'll change them somewhere down the road. I also agree that HIDs in halogen housings annoy me as well in certain situations, especially when people select an odd kelvin temperature or have a lifted vehicle. I think at 6k my lights are pretty normal looking and don't scatter too much unnatural light all over the road.

I will also say that I drive in canyons a lot going from Ventura County into Malibu/Santa Monica as well as multiple small canyon/mountain roads where I live, and even the HIDs in halogen housings are a vast and necessary improvement over the stock equipment, which is quite frankly a joke.

To each his own...but I just thought I would say some words to show that HIDs in regular housings aren't as much of a social injustice and evil as some individuals made them out to be in this thread.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Launching!

AwsmGy, I think Sparky is pointing out the two highlights above and to the right of each headlight pattern, as well as the uneven light distribution, and the general illumination of the entire wall.
Either way, it lights up the road better than stock, it's not in anyones eyes, and I spent about $400 less than I would getting good projectors. I feel like I came out ahead.

Quick Reply: In regards to HID's in stock housings....