Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino mirrors good too

Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used zaino and I liked it,but I don't know if they changed it or something but the most recent bottle I got sucked,
Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I hear more & more people say that they can't get the stuff off(Zaino)..I bought the ZFX & a new bottle of Z2 Pro about a month ago, that's what you see above..I had no problems with it. Where I live has very low humidity, could have something to do with it.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bobbyd
I use it and love it.

also i think GoFast908Z recommended Mothers reflections car wax.
if it wasnt him it was someone here on this forum and man I love that stuff aswell.
I don't think that was me... unless someone was asking what *in store only* products were ok. Store bought, meguiars and mothers are ok. Certainly not the best though.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
6 weeks.............this stuff is still holding up VERY well. Plenty of wax still on the car. Water beads great and I can feel the wax is there.

Pretty good so far.

Outside of Meguiars #16 (hard to get), and Meguiars #21... thats pretty good. Most of their store bought stuff is 6 weeks TOPS. Good to hear its beading well and still feels smooth.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dan
I hear more & more people say that they can't get the stuff off(Zaino)..I bought the ZFX & a new bottle of Z2 Pro about a month ago, that's what you see above..I had no problems with it. Where I live has very low humidity, could have something to do with it.
Usually that indicates you put too much on, which is VERY easy because its designed to go on so thin. Temp and humidity to play a role too.

But lets keep this thread on topic
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Usually that indicates you put too much on, which is VERY easy because its designed to go on so thin. Temp and humidity to play a role too.

But lets keep this thread on topic
I swear, I tried tiny tiny little drops in an area......can't get the damn stuff (Zaino) off no matter what I do.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I swear, I tried tiny tiny little drops in an area......can't get the damn stuff (Zaino) off no matter what I do.

How much did you use over the whole car? I can do it with about 1/4-1/3 of an ounce.

If you're having trouble removing it, just spray a little Z6 on it, and it comes off much easier then.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned

How much did you use over the whole car? I can do it with about 1/4-1/3 of an ounce.

If you're having trouble removing it, just spray a little Z6 on it, and it comes off much easier then.
I've done my car twice with this brand new bottle and the level is exactly 1 inch down from the top. I also did a part of my mother van and the hood of my fathers Hemi pickup truck. There's no way I'm using too much. I've used it for years and years without an issue in the same city, same climate, same car. There is something they changed in their formula, no doubt about it.

There's no reason to ever buy Zaino again......not when there's this new Meguiers stuff. 6 weeks and its still fine, goes on easy and comes off easier.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I've done my car twice with this brand new bottle and the level is exactly 1 inch down from the top. I also did a part of my mother van and the hood of my fathers Hemi pickup truck. There's no way I'm using too much. I've used it for years and years without an issue in the same city, same climate, same car. There is something they changed in their formula, no doubt about it.

There's no reason to ever buy Zaino again......not when there's this new Meguiers stuff. 6 weeks and its still fine, goes on easy and comes off easier.

1" out of the full size bottle? Not the 2" ZFX bottles? Yeah you're using way too much.

I don't know about no reason to ever buy it again. 6 weeks isn't anything special... Zaino will go 6+ months. I'm curious to know when the breaking point is for the Megs. I'm guessing by week 10. Keep us updated.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems there are several ways to get a good deep shine if the finish has been taken care of from the start.

Here's my 9yr old factory finish with a synthetic paint sealer and a coat of Carnuba wax. I just took these. Last night I drove home in the rain, the last 5 miles the rain stopped so I got an "air dry". Haven't touched it since. Note the reflection of the ceiling lightbulbs in the glass-like shine.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned

1" out of the full size bottle? Not the 2" ZFX bottles? Yeah you're using way too much.

I don't know about no reason to ever buy it again. 6 weeks isn't anything special... Zaino will go 6+ months. I'm curious to know when the breaking point is for the Megs. I'm guessing by week 10. Keep us updated.
No, its the 8oz bottle I have. 1" down from the top means I hardly used anything. Its not all the way to the top when you get it anyway. When I put it on, its almost impossible to see once its rubbed in. And again, I used Zaino for years with absolutely no issue. NOW....its impossible to get off.

But...if the Megs will last 6 weeks this good, its all I need. I polish/wax my car every 6-8 weeks anyway. So just the ease of use of the Megs means I have no use for Zaino ever again.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul 1953
It seems there are several ways to get a good deep shine if the finish has been taken care of from the start.

Here's my 9yr old factory finish with a synthetic paint sealer and a coat of Carnuba wax. I just took these. Last night I drove home in the rain, the last 5 miles the rain stopped so I got an "air dry". Haven't touched it since. Note the reflection of the ceiling lightbulbs in the glass-like shine.

What kind of Carnuba is that? Can I use Carnuba over a fresh coat of the Meguiars?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

What kind of Carnuba is that? Can I use Carnuba over a fresh coat of the Meguiars?

Not really as Meguiars doesn't have any true sealants. You can't really layer different brand waxes on top of each other.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Not really as Meguiars doesn't have any true sealants. You can't really layer different brand waxes on top of each other.
Hmm... That's not the answer I was going to give.

First, from what I've read, you need a bare (bare paint) finish for a synthetic sealer to bond properly. After reading about Meguiars Ultimate, it says that it's a synthetic polymere. Isn't that a sealer?

Now, from my limited experience, commercial sealers, good as they are for protecting the paint, they do not result in the depth of glossy glasslike shine as a Carnuba wax. And it IS permissible to apply wax AFTER you've applied the sealer. You just can't go back to the sealer unless you get all that wax off again.

My pics above have sealer underneath and Mothers Carnuba on top.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Teching In

I haven't been on Autopia in a long time but Megs seems to have really expanded in the last couple years. I haven't detailed in a couple years now but I still have all of my stuff, I think I'll do a few interiors this year after I finish parting out my 4Runners.

With that said I'll probably stick with my Collonite/P21S/Souveran for wax and my FK/Werktat for sealants.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

****. I just bought a tub of NXT 2.0 end of last summer. Anyone think it is worth buying a tub of this new stuff or is the 2.0 pretty similar?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm... That's not the answer I was going to give.

First, from what I've read, you need a bare (bare paint) finish for a synthetic sealer to bond properly. After reading about Meguiars Ultimate, it says that it's a synthetic polymere. Isn't that a sealer?

Now, from my limited experience, commercial sealers, good as they are for protecting the paint, they do not result in the depth of glossy glasslike shine as a Carnuba wax. And it IS permissible to apply wax AFTER you've applied the sealer. You just can't go back to the sealer unless you get all that wax off again.

My pics above have sealer underneath and Mothers Carnuba on top.

Yes you need bare paint for a sealant to bond properly. I wasn't disputing that.

I know that Meguiars calls it a synthetic, as it has synthetic components to it. However, it is not a true sealant, so toping this product with a wax will not work properly. I also wasn't disputing that you can layer a wax on top of a sealant. I know how to do this, and I have clients requesting this as it gives a very nice deep look to the paint. If someone wants to do that, you do need to wait for the sealant to fully cure before attempting, typically 8-24hrs (depending on temp/humidity).

Out of curiosity, what sealer is on your car? Only time I've heard someone mention a "commercial" sealer is when talking about the stuff they sell you at the dealer, or body shop.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Out of curiosity, what sealer is on your car? Only time I've heard someone mention a "commercial" sealer is when talking about the stuff they sell you at the dealer, or body shop.
I'm just a "civilian", not a pro as you and most in this section seem to be.

The "story of my finish": Last year I ran out of the Maxxgard sealer touch up that I got from Chevrolet when I bought the car. People here have told me that they ripped me off with a gimmick.
To that I say... 1) yeah maybe I paid a lot, but I've never regretted it. I rarely see a car (let alone a 9yr old car) that has as glossy shine as mine, to this day.
2) Big dealerships don't maintain there reputation and customer base by selling "gimmicks".

That said, after I ran out, I bought some Mothers Synwax sealer to replace the empty Maxxgard. It may be a sealer, but the shine was no where close to that of Maxxgard (which doesn't sell to the public).

So, on top of the Synwax, I put the Mothers carnuba and Voila!

As I said at beginning I think there are probably many equally effective methods of getting a deep glossy shine. Care, and exposure to UV and elements are probably the bigger factors. IMO
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm just a "civilian", not a pro as you and most in this section seem to be.

The "story of my finish": Last year I ran out of the Maxxgard sealer touch up that I got from Chevrolet when I bought the car. People here have told me that they ripped me off with a gimmick.
To that I say... 1) yeah maybe I paid a lot, but I've never regretted it. I rarely see a car (let alone a 9yr old car) that has as glossy shine as mine, to this day.
2) Big dealerships don't maintain there reputation and customer base by selling "gimmicks".

That said, after I ran out, I bought some Mothers Synwax sealer to replace the empty Maxxgard. It may be a sealer, but the shine was no where close to that of Maxxgard (which doesn't sell to the public).

So, on top of the Synwax, I put the Mothers carnuba and Voila!

As I said at beginning I think there are probably many equally effective methods of getting a deep glossy shine. Care, and exposure to UV and elements are probably the bigger factors. IMO
I hope that wasn't a jab of some sort... Perhaps I just read it wrong.

Ok I remember discussing this with you in another thread. You have what works for you, and thats fine. I was just clearing up some info so people don't apply stuff improperly. Thats all.

I will say, your paint looks quite good in that light.

Quick Reply: Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics