Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics

First....I made a thread awhile back how I can't stand Zaino anymore because I can't get the damn stuff off my car. I've used it for 8-9 years with no hassles on this car, but for some reason it will not come off without a serious fight. Only way it will come off is if I wash the car after applying it to get it off. This is what Zaino told me to do, they also said there's nothing wrong with their stuff...yet for some reason after 8-9 years of use it will not come off normally now. I bought a brand new bottle of Z-5. So screw them......something in their chemicals has changed, period.
No more talk about Zaino............

Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....all I can say is DAMN!!!!! This stuff is awesome in every way. Goes on very easy, as does most polishes and waxes....I used the supplied applicator and man this stuff goes a very long way. Just use 2-3 drops and it'll do a 2'x2' area. It drys fast and is very hard to see. I just blobbed a few drops to make a 2'x2' border, applied in that area, then moved on and kept making borders so I didn't keep redoing areas. I only let it dry for 1 hour because it was getting dark out.
Taking this stuff off...HOLY S#%*.......I took the terry cloth towel that they supplied in the kit, laid it on the hood and all I had to do was apply enough pressure to move the towel and enough so it would stay on the paint. This stuff comes right off like that, its amazing. No BS......
I put this stuff on Saturday when it was getting late, so I washed the car 30 minutes ago and took some pictures below. Its in the shade so the pics aren't nice and bright, but it looks killer. It feels much smoother than Zaino feels. I do the fingernail test to feel for smoothness, its crazy.

Question is now...how long will it last. I usually like to polish/wax my car every month or so.....so it really doesn't matter to me if it lasts as long as other stuff. But I'll let this go to test its durability, I'll keep checking with the fingernail method and let you all know when it starts to feel like the stuff has degraded to a point where its almost gone (not very smooth anymore).

When I washed it the water beeded up quite nice and just fell right off the car. Hardly any water droplets stayed on the hood. If I had a leaf blower the car would be dry in 2 minutes. I used one towel to dry the entire car.

It also has no effect on black plastic or rubber, its invisible. But I did rub part of the cowl plastic with it and it shined it up big time. We'll see how long that lasts on plastic. That part of the cowl looks brand new and mine is 13 years old.

One Warning.....I have always used any polish/wax that I put on my cars to also do the windshield...like people do with Rain-X. It has always worked great and lasted a pretty long time.
DO NOT use this stuff on the glass. It was late when took the stuff off Saturday night and I figured I got it all off the glass. Today I walked out there and it looked like someone put pancake syrup on the glass and rubbed it all over it. So blurry, you couldn't see to drive the car. Wierd......
No way rubbing it off with a towel would do anything to remove it. I had to use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel....that took it right off immediately though.

Its nice to finally have a 6 month old (pretty much) flawless paintjob.....and have a kickass wax that is so damn easy to take off. Now I won't dred having to come home and wax my car. 30 minutes on - about 45 minutes off. And easy as pie, no struggling or getting frustrated that it won't come off.

Thanks Meguiars......kickass product....for $22.00. Bottle should do at least 10 applications.

Attached Thumbnails Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-dsc02235.jpg   Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-dsc02236.jpg   Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-dsc02237.jpg   Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-dsc02238.jpg   Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-dsc02239.jpg  

Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-dsc02240.jpg   Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-dsc02241.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I have the same results, amazing product, however I didn't use the supplied applicator, had issues with it, but I did use the supplied microfiber, this stuff goes on easy, comes off even easier, it'll make a metallic paint job pop! I'll have to get some pictures soon.

I like it more then my Adams buttery wax which is almost similar, but that stuff doesn't last long so i tried this stuff and I hope it does, I also use meguiars ultimate quik detailer for increased protection.

My paint looks amazingggg.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice review. i'll have to give this product a try.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great man, nice product
Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Car is definitely blingin!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Car looks shiny.

I've also noticed Zaino harder to take off in the last 2 years. Been using it for 10.

What is this "Fingernail test"? Sounds like a great way to scratch/mar the paint.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Car looks shiny.

I've also noticed Zaino harder to take off in the last 2 years. Been using it for 10.
There is no doubt its harder now, AT LEAST down here in South Florida where its a little more humid than most places. Zaino, like almost every other company that sees a big decrease in business because of other good products emerging in the market place......will change their product and use less of something to save money. I suspect this is what has happened. Not that they will admit it though.

What is this "Fingernail test"? Sounds like a great way to scratch/mar the paint.
No, not at all. I just lightly turn my hand to the backside and slide my fingernails only across the paint...only my fingernails touch the clear coat surface.....very lightly. Thats how I feel the smoothness of a newly applied coat of wax. Then do that on a car that you know doesn't get waxed/polished and it will have a sandpaper type feel on your fingernails.

As that smoothness lessens I know the wax/polish is slowly degrading. Of course water will bead up less and dust and debris will also start to stick more and just spraying the surface of the car with a hose will have less of an effect to just blow dirt and bugs off. Things will start to stick easier as the wax/polish degrades.
The fingernail thing is just a sensitive way to feel it.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To those who have a hard time removing zaino, are you using the zfx accelerator with it? I am new to zaino and had a hard time removing the first time I used it. When I used the accelerator, it came off easy. I don't know if the accelerator is new or not.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just curious. I almost bought some of this Ultimate Wax last week to try. Zaino is a lot of work.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
There is no doubt its harder now, AT LEAST down here in South Florida where its a little more humid than most places. Zaino, like almost every other company that sees a big decrease in business because of other good products emerging in the market place......will change their product and use less of something to save money. I suspect this is what has happened. Not that they will admit it though.

No, not at all. I just lightly turn my hand to the backside and slide my fingernails only across the paint...only my fingernails touch the clear coat surface.....very lightly. Thats how I feel the smoothness of a newly applied coat of wax. Then do that on a car that you know doesn't get waxed/polished and it will have a sandpaper type feel on your fingernails.

As that smoothness lessens I know the wax/polish is slowly degrading. Of course water will bead up less and dust and debris will also start to stick more and just spraying the surface of the car with a hose will have less of an effect to just blow dirt and bugs off. Things will start to stick easier as the wax/polish degrades.
The fingernail thing is just a sensitive way to feel it.

you've obviously never dealt with soft clear lol! That will mar. If its clean, use the plastic baggie test. Give BETTER feel than a fingernail and will do it MUCH safer.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
you've obviously never dealt with soft clear lol! That will mar. If its clean, use the plastic baggie test. Give BETTER feel than a fingernail and will do it MUCH safer.
No, never heard of soft clear. I'm really talking lightly though, like if you were to run your fingernails across your girlfriends cheek or skin so they barely felt it. When I do it makes absolutely no mark at all. But maybe I'll test the Meguiars longevity by water beading...when it stops beading I'll consider it gone. I wash my car every 4-5 days or so.........

My clear coat is something called Concept Clear....painter said it was very hard compared to older stuff. I don't know much about paints and clears though.

I did do the baggie test all over the car before I put the wax on the other day because I was wondering if I needed to clay it first. Every part of the car was smooth as hell.......excepot the rear bumper and above the tail pipes, so I clayed the entire bumper till it was smooth. Oh, and a little bit low on the front-center area of the front bumper.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

UPDATE.......about 10 days now. Not much to say really. I washed my car for the first time yesterday, it seems as if the stuff is exactly like day one....amazing water beading........

Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used this stuff last week, and I agree, it is reall good stuff.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Great to hear this, with auto-zone and walmart not carrying zymol anymore I'll be needing a new wax soon
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time you remove wax use a MF towel
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Next time you remove wax use a MF towel
Who, me?

I used the black towel that Meguiars supplied with the kit to remove the wax off the entire car.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did mine today...stuff smells good, a shame it doesn't last (odor).
Attached Thumbnails Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-img_0190_1.jpg   Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics-img_0191.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just picked this stuff up too, plan on doing it tuesday so ill post pics. hopefully can see some good results from a white car lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Looks nice. I might have to give those stuff a try.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used it yesterday on my hawk and to tell you the truth I can't tell the difference between this and my NXT 2.0 wax. (But the paint on my Hawk is in good shape so who knows...)

Quick Reply: Meguiars Ultimate Wax.....my review...pics