Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Baby Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Baby Oil?

I was talking to someone recently, and we got on to leather interiors... He said he has always used baby oil to keep the leather soft and supple. Anyone else used baby oil in place of a leather cleaner/conditioner?

I have been putting conditioner on frequently, as I slacked on it quite a bit and have a little more wear showing than I'd like. Seems like the leather never feels softer.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think its leather , I could be wrong but I swear I heard its something else
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as f bodys go
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to do something with my dash and seats, I havent cleaned them in 2 years probably. Just the usual vacuuming and wipe down with a dry towel.

Interested in thoughts as well...
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

BOB is right its not leather its pleather LOL true story
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, the question still stands. Thanks for the responses though.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Think of your seats as skin. (granted it's pleather) What would you put on your hands to keep them "conditioned?"

IMO, the baby oil would be good to use after your initial cleaning/scrubbing of the seat, as it's really good for removing wax buildup and the like. However in the long run I'm not sure if it'd keep the seats moisturized or not.

Try it out, clean and scrub the HELL out of the seats. Then massage some baby oil into them with a microfiber. It might need actual leather conditioner on top of it over time, but it's gonna help regardless. I'm definitely trying it once it gets a bit warmer out.

Last edited by 98 WS6; 03-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man, good to hear from ya. I will try it once it gets a little warmer down here. I am using some meguiars(sp) cleaner/conditioner (in one bottle) may have to get a stand alone cleaner. What do you use to scrub? Just a terry cloth?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

if you really want to turn your car on heat up the baby oil a lil bit lol makes your car bust a big cloud of smoke every time LMAOOO sry couldn't hold that back

you should ask a detail guy about the baby oil
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Can't say I've ever heard of the baby oil trick.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
OK, the question still stands. Thanks for the responses though.
The top surfaces are real leather . The steering wheels, shift ***** and ebrake ***** are real leather as well . The sides and backs of the seats are the only thing thats pleather.

No to the baby oil. Sure it will make soft and shiney( if shiney is what you want) . But it will clog the pores, will leave a film and attract more dust and really make it harder to clean in the long run . You shouldnt ever use petroleum or silicone based products on leather. Water based stuff like leathertique and leather masters is good stuff and both are ph balanced . Ive used both . Zaino's z9 and z10 works well too.

Getting the seats completely clean is key . I always skip the "cleaners" specifically for leather . I use distilled water with a small amount of dawn dish soap . Soak the seats and throughly scrub them with a soft brush that wont hurt the top coating . Then rinse with clean distilled water . Then let them air dry . When the leather is completely dry, then apply the protectant.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT4vert
The top surfaces are real leather . The steering wheels, shift ***** and ebrake ***** are real leather as well . The sides and backs of the seats are the only thing thats pleather.

No to the baby oil. Sure it will make soft and shiney( if shiney is what you want) . But it will clog the pores, will leave a film and attract more dust and really make it harder to clean in the long run . You shouldnt ever use petroleum or silicone based products on leather. Water based stuff like leathertique and leather masters is good stuff and both are ph balanced . Ive used both . Zaino's z9 and z10 works well too.

Getting the seats completely clean is key . I always skip the "cleaners" specifically for leather . I use distilled water with a small amount of dawn dish soap . Soak the seats and throughly scrub them with a soft brush that wont hurt the top coating . Then rinse with clean distilled water . Then let them air dry . When the leather is completely dry, then apply the protectant.
Sounds like the best approach in all honesty. Ive been lazy since Im ordering 6le seat covers down the road, kinda waiting for that so I can make the interior "new" again with new seats and an interior detail.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

LT4's got it right. I've heard of people putting baby oil on chairs/handbags before but that's it. It doesn't seem like it's gonna serve as a protector over time. I used to use the Meguiars stuff actually, I use Zaino's Z10 "Leather in a Bottle" now.

Like LT4 said use some dish soap and scrub them down. All that shiny-ness is just oily buildup. Try to use a brush if you have one that isn't too stiff.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say spend the $100 on Leatherique and do it right.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...ue-review.html

Last edited by bj350hp; 03-23-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Baby Oil?