Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 98 T/A LQ4 build thread ( Starting tear down and 408 build )

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well all I need it a base tune to get it running right. As for things left to do, re-wire the ground and bolt it to the head, I have to drop the trans out and change the flywheel because apparently truck flywheels don't match up to car T/Q's so that will be my project later today, I also have my new shifter cable coming since when I dropped the eng/trans as a pair it was still connected , yanking it and breaking/bending it. Then I have to bleed the brakes, then finally I'm done....hopefully still need about $300 to finish it all up, $150 for the basic tune, $90-$120 for the plate sticker which I haven't renewed yet......

So......Damn.......Close, Argh
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great build.. Thats awsome you have a girl willing to lend a hand. My fiancee always says she want to help work on the bird, but when it comes time to get hands dirty she is nowhere to be found. hmm..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Ok so maybe I procrastinated and didn't drop my trans out today. Do you blame me it's 35* out and wet plus my new shifter cable isn't even here yet. Chicago weather sucks
Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Launching!

Well my shifter cable came in today, but it was the wrong shifter cable, I got the one that connects to the brake pedal, I NEED the one that goes to the trans, I may end up just rigging mine up just to drive the damn thing, Im running outta time. If I have time I'll get the trans out this weekend, if not for sure next week because I want it done by Friday. Just need that tune and a change out of those flex plates and I should be good, if I can get the shifter cable to work I should be golden.

After the flex plates are changed out Its going right outside for a long awaited wash. 2 months of sitting outside and 5 in a garage, a car can get dirty pretty fast
Old 04-22-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

are both flywheels neutral balanced?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Yes they are, the truck one just had a flex plate for 4L80e trans so they have the 6 bolt hole spots instead of 3, no difference what so ever
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 AM
Launching!

So after getting home around 11 I realized that I was still really awake and decided againt a bike ride and go change the flex plates. Even with the LT's on I have enough rooms to get the bolts around the bellhousing and drop it out with no problem, needless to say it only took me 2 1/2 hours since that would be my 3rd time doing it by myself, I have pictures of the flex plates, there is a slight difference in weight and thickness but thats due to the trans it was holding on there.

I'll actually have this car done by Friday I hope, still need the tune and a few extra fixes (IE the shifter cable which I got the wrong one of).

Maybe tomorrow after I finish going over and checking everything I'll pull Her out of the garage for a much needed wash..........maybe
Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Well I finished everything today, all bolts are tight, no leaks, all fluids filled, shifter cable rigged up at the moment. All I have to wait for is the Base Tune on Friday and I shall be back on the road once again.

Tomorrow I'll play around with the exhaust a little, I want to make my own custom exhaust, all I have to do is buy the tubing from a shop over by me and get a few mandrel bends and I'll weld everything up. When I save some money Im going to get the oval tubing from Spintech or Dr Gas and make a system out of that. Those oval bends are expensive
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

great work man! love the color get some different wheels sometime the wagon wheels look pretty good though
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Launching!

Thanks bud, Its been a long time waiting to get this thing back on the streets, I wish I had more money to do all the upgrades I wanted too, but its not a big deal theres always another winter to save for.

As for the Wagons Im just going to get them powder-coated chrome since there pitting and corroding, its cheaper at the moment than buying new rims, If I can find something a rim that really pops out to me then I'll get it, I still have yet to find one though
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Launching!

It's running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't need a tune says Speed Inc, it happened to be just a messed up TPS sensor

Last edited by Firehawk896; 04-28-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Launching!

So I ran into another problem, the steering knuckle is hitting the first primary tube, it shouldn't but it is. I have had Pacesetters in there before with no issue, but these are causing one. The Ws6 store is helping me resolve the issue though.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 AM
Launching!

I got my new shifter cable today thanks to a very generous board member, my coil brackets should be in by thursday, and thats the day I will start driving her again, possibly today if I have time to get my plate sticker. Can't wait to take the ttops off and listen to my audio system again
Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Launching!

Default Please help, idle issue

Well as you all can see it starts and runs.....most of the time, in the last video I posted it ran for a while then all of a sudden died out. Sometimes when I start it, it revs really high then shuts off after a few seconds, other timesit run fine then randomly sputters and dies. I'm going to say its the vacuum line on the back of the intake, I connected the big one for the brake booster, but Im guessing not the little one on the other side. I know one vac hose goes into the car for the HVAC but where does the other side go by the PCM go??? it just kinda gets lost in the wiring harness

Another thing is that I took off the egr stuff and plugged the manifold and intake holes, Im not sure what having that disconnected would do with anything, its not tuned out yet.

Any input greatly appreciated, This is the last thing keeping me from driving the car along with bleeding the brakes again since the pedal still seems to go a little too far down
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to have EGR turned off or youll throw codes, etc, but it shouldnt effect the idle IF you connected all of your vacuum stuff back up.

i just went and looked @ my loom and if memory/my powers of deduction are right that would be the supply for your AC (id wager that if you tried running that it wouldnt work properly either)

I had an issue with idling because of my cam/crank position sensor loom for this ls2/3 swap, but that was because it was run under the intake/water pump and got pinched, if youre iffy on the vacuum connections definitely look for leaks/accidental caps first

EDIT: i think im gonna go drive around a bit to send some good vibes your way
Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Thanks, im going to get some spare vacuum lines from napa today, and if it doesnt work still, I'll reattach the egr.

I forgot to mention, I misplaced one intake mani bolt during tear down, so theres and open bolt hole on the intake, and what I noticed when it dies theres smoke that comes out of that hole, so I think I found my issue. I'll either look in the garage one more time, or go to a shop and see if they got a spare. Just stupid little things to do to drive her.

I bled the brakes starting from the rear and moving forward, like you're suppose to do, it seems fine when the engines off, but when its on the pedal just goes to the floor basically, its like jello......just mushy, I'm going to try and rebleed them today and see if I missed an air pocket somewhere.......I really want to drive her this weekend, its been so hot the past week and it was perfect for t-tops off weather......
Old 07-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Well sorry to inform everyone like this, but about a month ago the engine siezed, No reason to why yet, but it was running fine and then it just stopped, sisnt want to turn over again and the crank didnt turn with a huge breaker bar, probably just a bad engine...horrible luck but I'll just tear it down again and take my time building it instead of rushing it like I did, Since I have an LQ4 block Im just going to build a 408 stroker out of it, probably procharge it and do all undercoating like I originally planned....soo yea I'll start update during tear down and the slow build up process
Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Launching!

I'm picking up a 5.3l engine and a 2200 stall up on friday, I'm hoping to just throw it in off everything checks out, and then butting up the 2200 stall to my build 4l60 and be done with it before the second week of May, we'll see, I still have to get new bleeder screws, starter ground and fuel pump wires.

Wish me luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

Good luck. I was liking this thread until the motor seized.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Launching!

I picked up another engine, it a 5.3l but I have plans for it, BIG plans, but first I'm going to get my car running again and accumilate the other goodies as I go. So I'll post up more progress.

So far I have cleaned and degreased the whole engine and painted it. I have to drill the hole for the alternator bracket, I have the water pump and the ls1 balancer on. Tomorrow I'll tackle the dreadful ps pump putting it from the old head to the new, get the intake, fuel rails, and coil packs on.......I'll post more as soon as I get to it like I said

Quick Reply: My 98 T/A LQ4 build thread ( Starting tear down and 408 build )