Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powder Coating coils

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powder Coating coils

Hey guys, just a quick question, I searched and couldn't find anything about it. But can you have the coils powder coated? I don't see why they couldn't take the heat since I'm pretty sure the engine bay gets that hot. Thanks for helping out

Daniel
Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Powder coating requires heating to 400 to bake.
Does the engine bay area really get that hot?

Most I've seen over the years are painted coils.
Not sure if ya could PC or not, ...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

you don't powerd coat plastic like you do metal . I dont know the process but they can powder coat a plastic intake , so maybe someone can shed some light on powdercoating plastic
Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I remember Sean "The Powder Pro" mentioning he was testing applying pc to some coils a long time ago. Might want to check with him.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in all honesty... you powder coat things that will or might see some extra wear... the coils will get dusty and might see a little more dirt... painting them would be your best bet.

no way do the coils see 400* temps under the hood.. you really want to risk putting your coils in the oven?

paint is cheaper and you have more control over the process.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the responses guys, I have been coating with minor things lately and in a couple of weeks might try to step up to things that really matter lol. But I did find this link..
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=2247

So I might get in touch with a few guys and see what they do for plastics
Old 04-03-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

I actually just painted mine yesterday. I got a set of truck coils and just masked off the heat sync on top. Looks good too! Super easy.... and like they all said, WAY cheaper and I had control over it all.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sommer86
I actually just painted mine yesterday. I got a set of truck coils and just masked off the heat sync on top. Looks good too! Super easy.... and like they all said, WAY cheaper and I had control over it all.
sommer,got any pics of the coils? what process did you use?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
sommer,got any pics of the coils? what process did you use?
Here's a couple of pics for ya Hugger. I've got an all red/black theme going and didn't want dirty, black, ratty, stock looking wire wrap to get any attention so I re-wrapped it all.

For the coils I DID NOT scuff anything. I just used some blue painters tape and masked off the heat syncs and bottom openings. Then I just used some isopropyl alcohol wipes I had (that our camera crews use on set to clean our lenses) and super cleaned everything really well. Then shot the coils with Krylon Fusion (gloss black). That's it.

My valve covers and coil brackets are powder coated.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Here's a couple of pics for ya Hugger. I've got an all red/black theme going and didn't want dirty, black, ratty, stock looking wire wrap to get any attention so I re-wrapped it all.

For the coils I DID NOT scuff anything. I just used some blue painters tape and masked off the heat syncs and bottom openings. Then I just used some isopropyl alcohol wipes I had (that our camera crews use on set to clean our lenses) and super cleaned everything really well. Then shot the coils with Krylon Fusion (gloss black). That's it.

My valve covers and coil brackets are powder coated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/100_6178.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/100_6184.jpg

Nice work,the look great.
gonna have to think of a color to do mine in... i have black powdercoated covers with H.O. brackets so i guess H.O. would be a good choice to paint the coils w/ black heat sink...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
Nice work,the look great.
gonna have to think of a color to do mine in... i have black powdercoated covers with H.O. brackets so i guess H.O. would be a good choice to paint the coils w/ black heat sink...
Here's my thing.... I dont like when people do the VC's and the coil brackets different colors. I've always wanted red covers, and if I had black brackets, you wouldn't see the covers. So I did my covers AND brackets in red so nothing would block the fact that the VC's were red. And I also wanted the coils to pop so I only did them in the contrasting color.

If you do your brackets and coils in HO, then it might look like a giant orange splash with black behind it.

Also, I left my heat sinks natural because I think that how they work best. To cool and not trap heat.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

68birdls1 i saw your post for the gmmg i want the exhaust and have cash in hand but since i'm a newbie i can't post a reply in the classifieds my e-mail is tim_fraser54@yahoo.com please e-mail me if you still have the exhaust!!

Quick Reply: Powder Coating coils