Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Who is going to step up to the plate and MAKE THIS FINALLY

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triple T-top everyone.

That way those of us that use all 3 don't get screwed (plus it's my thread )

If you only wanted 2 all you have to do is buy a dummy gauge or fill the hole.

Triple T-top version for me please
Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those look crazy nice Dennis, any idea what kind of price range they would be in?
Also, is anyone running the pod from glowshift? They're only 30 bucks, and i cant figure out the difference between them and an autometer one?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would love one too. I bought a Glowshift 3-gauge one and it looks like *** and is no way touching my car.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've never understood why people want these. Our cars are already hard enough to see out of, and they look like they are just stuck on there like an after thought. I dont like these in any vehicle, but in cars with obstructed visibility it would just be worse. I think something like the Honda Frog Eyes would go better, if you REALLY NEED more gauges. I dont see the need for anything other than maybe a boost gauge and thats only for FI guys. Or nitrous guys and their gauges. That being said, it would be super simple to fabricate any number of things.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:12,s:0
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I need them. Wideband and Nitrous.

I'm having one custom made.

Originally Posted by evilZO6
i've never understood why people want these. Our cars are already hard enough to see out of, and they look like they are just stuck on there like an after thought. I dont like these in any vehicle, but in cars with obstructed visibility it would just be worse. I think something like the Honda Frog Eyes would go better, if you REALLY NEED more gauges. I dont see the need for anything other than maybe a boost gauge and thats only for FI guys. Or nitrous guys and their gauges. That being said, it would be super simple to fabricate any number of things.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:12,s:0
Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
We can easily make these for everyone

We are making them now for the C5 and C6 Corvette

We make them by hand to order
we use a vinyl resin based paint miced for us for color, we can have them finishe din hydro carbon vinyl or leather as well

we can even make them with tweeter pods as well

Some pics of the C5 and C6 we have done

Send me message if you would like more info
Dennis

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...fan/007-19.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...sfan/012-9.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...fan/001-20.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...fan/003-19.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...fan/004-20.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...sfan/012-9.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...sfan/015-6.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...fan/010-11.jpg
Why not just post a price for everyone to see? You are the sponsor and have that right to do so. I'd like to know the price too. Hydrodipped carbon fiber look would be cool, but then I'd need one for the passenger side as well. (obviously without gauge pods LOL)

Last edited by ChevyChad; 04-27-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Speed of Sound products are some of the best. I had them on my 03 and 04 Cobra and Mach and I cant say enough about the quality and finish.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Why not just post a price for everyone to see? You are the sponsor and have that right to do so. I'd like to know the price too. Hydrodipped carbon fiber look would be cool, but then I'd need one for the passenger side as well. (obviously without gauge pods LOL)

C'mon Chad, run gauges on both sides
Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I talked to the SOS guys and he said it would cost too much to do, understandable.

I'm going to try and come up with some new ideas for my gauges, I have some ideas I'm going to work on with the pillar and see how it looks.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a SOS pod for my Cobra. What does me mean it's too much to do??? He rivets two or three pods to a factory pillar! Maybe that's the problem...he can't find factory pillars. Maybe I better call him and see if he'll mount pods to my pillar if I send it to him...or maybe just send me the pods.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

I've always thought it'd be nice if they were kind of recessed more into the pillar and kind of rotated down a little more under the pillar. That would help with visibility.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
I have a SOS pod for my Cobra. What does me mean it's too much to do??? He rivets two or three pods to a factory pillar! Maybe that's the problem...he can't find factory pillars. Maybe I better call him and see if he'll mount pods to my pillar if I send it to him...or maybe just send me the pods.
I thought it was all molded together? If that is the case, I have no idea why they couldn't do it. He said tooling and all to make a new setup would cost thousands of dollars.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I'll save you the time with that phone call.

The cost doesn't come from the mounting hardware, I'll give you that. However, we must make it look MUCH easier than it actually is! And I do like to charge for my time, because my landlord does like to charge rent.

However, just sending me a pillar would be a waste of time. You need to send me the whole car, or find me one in the Memphis, TN area that I can freely spend some hours with over numerous shop visits. Then, we'd have something to work with.

Before the rivets pop, we need to:

1. Mockup concept in car, find correct alignments for viewing angle
2. Digitize pillar area and dash for reference
3. Build milling fixtures for each pillar style (unless common enough to share)
4. Take digitized data and convert to 3D surface models in CAD
5. Place "virtual" pods in the 3D model of the F-body pillar scan
6. Generate tool paths for the pockets which will sink/align the pods
7. Test numerous pillars to verify CNC program accuracy
8. Formulate dye matches for all available interior trim colors
9. Secure pricing/availability from GM for OEM pillars
10. POP SOME RIVETS!!! ;-)

Sadly, my product is not manufactured by simply running drywall screws into plastic cups. They are custom, and hand-built, but there are many extra steps involved to ensure repeatabilty from part-to-part. Sometimes, we still goof up.

If you guys are really serious, and can provide me with the necessary info, we might be able to make something happen.

How many different OEM pillars are we dealing with here? Coupe, vert, t-top? Any other variants (upgraded audio, etc)?

-Alan
Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for jumping in Alan.

First things first...it needs to be said that the SOS pillar for my Cobra is OUTSTANDING. It really does do a nice job and I remember when Alan was first putting these together. A lot of trial and error.

That being said...Alan, can you just sell us the pods and let us decide how and where to mount them for our own preference? That may be a very simple solution.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

someone needs to start replacing the LT1 WS6 airboxes. Have you seen the price of them lately?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...mZ110678328604

$231 and there's still 2 days left. I bet it goes for over $350
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for jumping in Alan.

First things first...it needs to be said that the SOS pillar for my Cobra is OUTSTANDING. It really does do a nice job and I remember when Alan was first putting these together. A lot of trial and error.

That being said...Alan, can you just sell us the pods and let us decide how and where to mount them for our own preference? That may be a very simple solution.
We haven't made the raw pods available for sale in order to maintain some continuity to our brand as we try to grow it. I'm not implying anyone here would do a bad job, but the fear is having miserable hack jobs running around with "our" name on it.

That said, I've been working the past few months on a new design which takes my patented "bullet" style pods and incorporates it into a somewhat universal product. Single gauge cups are plentiful and cheap out there, but none of them really look nice/finished to me. I hope to change that with a clean-looking mounting cup with a clever tilt/swivel base. Testing (and making changes to) prototypes right now, and will hopefully finalize the injection mold tooling before the end of May.

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
someone needs to start replacing the LT1 WS6 airboxes. Have you seen the price of them lately?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...mZ110678328604

$231 and there's still 2 days left. I bet it goes for over $350
I bet just the tooling for that part could buy you a few cars- fully modded!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome, thanks for stopping by Alan. I figured there was more too it, they look too nice to just have some cups haphazardly riveted into there.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alanw6
I'll save you the time with that phone call.

The cost doesn't come from the mounting hardware, I'll give you that. However, we must make it look MUCH easier than it actually is! And I do like to charge for my time, because my landlord does like to charge rent.

However, just sending me a pillar would be a waste of time. You need to send me the whole car, or find me one in the Memphis, TN area that I can freely spend some hours with over numerous shop visits. Then, we'd have something to work with.

Before the rivets pop, we need to:

1. Mockup concept in car, find correct alignments for viewing angle
2. Digitize pillar area and dash for reference
3. Build milling fixtures for each pillar style (unless common enough to share)
4. Take digitized data and convert to 3D surface models in CAD
5. Place "virtual" pods in the 3D model of the F-body pillar scan
6. Generate tool paths for the pockets which will sink/align the pods
7. Test numerous pillars to verify CNC program accuracy
8. Formulate dye matches for all available interior trim colors
9. Secure pricing/availability from GM for OEM pillars
10. POP SOME RIVETS!!! ;-)

Sadly, my product is not manufactured by simply running drywall screws into plastic cups. They are custom, and hand-built, but there are many extra steps involved to ensure repeatabilty from part-to-part. Sometimes, we still goof up.

If you guys are really serious, and can provide me with the necessary info, we might be able to make something happen.

How many different OEM pillars are we dealing with here? Coupe, vert, t-top? Any other variants (upgraded audio, etc)?

-Alan
Alan,

Thanks for stopping by to give us a heads up. I would be more than happy to be the one for that but dont live near you. I could for sure send you the pillar though. Even if you had a mock up car to use would this even be an option? Sounds like to cost may outweigh the result, I hope I am wrong.

Mike
Old 04-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by THRTITH
Alan,

Thanks for stopping by to give us a heads up. I would be more than happy to be the one for that but dont live near you. I could for sure send you the pillar though. Even if you had a mock up car to use would this even be an option? Sounds like to cost may outweigh the result, I hope I am wrong.

Mike
Thanks for the generous offer, Mike. Sadly, having the car is much more important than just having the pillar. I can usually pull a half dozen or so pillars out of a local boneyard, so I can test (and screw up) without spending too much cash or trashing a part of someone's car. Interior plastic is almost worthless to salvage yard operators, and I don't have a nervous owner over my shoulder while I work!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

If anyone is out there close to Alan step up and help is all out.

Quick Reply: Who is going to step up to the plate and MAKE THIS FINALLY