Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do you remove old wax before using polish then waxing again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you remove old wax before using polish then waxing again?

I just got some of the Megiuars Ultimate polish and paste wax to try. I was just curious as to whether there is a need to take something over the car to remove the old wax before using the polish, or do you guys usually just go over it and not worry about it? Car stays in the garage and hardly gets outside anyway so the paint is still like new.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Launching!

anyone????
Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

yes, i use dish soap and wash the car like a normal car wash. it strips the car of any wax, then i claybar and so on...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

I thought most polishes remove the wax.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wash the car with Dawn, then clay it. Wash with Dawn again, and you're ready to go with your polish and wax. Or you can skip the clay, and just wash with Dawn...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would not reccomend dawn. If you must please use a cleaner wax. Dawn should only be used if you have to really start over from scratch and building a new wax build up.

So i would recommend a cleaner wax, however you can apply that sealant whenever you want however you want.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Dawn should only be used if you have to really start over from scratch and building a new wax build up.
This is true. I should have been a little clearer on that in my post.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
This is true. I should have been a little clearer on that in my post.
+2 on this.

Stole this from GoFast908Z when he posted on one of my local forums. He is a professional detailer, and he posts quite a bit on here as well.

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
The high alkaline content in dishwashing soap helps strip wax off the paint. It should only be used at the start of a all-out detail, and thats all.

This is a HOTLY debated topic on the detail forums with a lot of chemistry discussion behind it. But bottom line, don't use it unless you're doing an all-out detail. Its not for regular washing.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Launching!

So without getting the wax off, do you not get the full results from the polish? Actually, Ive only washed the car once in the 5 years Ive had it. Sits in the garage covered up...I just hit it with some quick detail spray once in a while. It's never been dirty. It's been a year since I've waxed it and a towel still slides right off if I put one on the hood. I didn't know if it would be a waste to put polish on it as it sits or not without taking it clear down. Car looks like new, but if I can make if shine even more, then I'll give it a go.
I tried out the Mother's Billet Polish on my TTII's last weekend and that stuff is amazing. Had the rims for about 4 years and they have no more than 100 miles on them (yes 100), so they obviously weren't dirty but it made a huge difference in shine..."almost" look like chrome now. I usually take the rims off in the summer and hit them with Mag and Aluminum polish (front and back). Billet polish blows the M&A polish away.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

It's your call, it's gonna look better and probably gonna get some of the deeper swirl marks out if you strip the old wax off. But, I would definetly clay bar it before you polish, especially if your using a buffer, you don't want to grind any dirt into your paint.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are going to polish with any type of compound, there is zero need to do a wash with Dawn.

Since the compound is capable of leveling out your clear coat, the existing wax will not be an issue.

Wash with a good car wash soap, clay, then polish away.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

If you have only "washed" the car once in 5 years, but always wipe it down, I can promise you it will benefit from at least a single step polish. While naked to the eye under most garage lighting, your fairly positive your paint is swirled, and when looking at it in harsh direct sunlight you will see this.

I say strip everything with dawn, assess the true condition of the paint with no wax or filler on it, and go from there! It's the only way to do it right, and once it's right.....you can learn how to safely maintain that finish!

I reocmmend Meguairs 205 or Optimum Poli-Seal for a quick single step Polish.

Quick Reply: Do you remove old wax before using polish then waxing again?