Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 05-20-2016, 02:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Camaro Sequential Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro Sequential Tail Lights

i know others like myself have been jealous of Firebirds because of the ability to have sequential tail lights (among a few other things). i came across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAswv...eature=related

2 things i dont like but could be changed
how fast the blinker is
the vertical solid stripes when the lights go on

overall i think its pretty cool.

on another note is it possible to have all of the LT1 tail light a solid red and not have the strips?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Launching!

the webelectric kit i have on my firebird also works on camaros too.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I be ashamed to say that I think that's pretty cool?

Fortunately for me, it looks like it won't work on the 97-02 Camaro lights due to the amber turn light.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

This can be done on a 97-02 Camaro. I've done it. you need the earlier lamp housings with the three chambers in them (obviously). i recommnd changing to LED bulbs once you do this coversion to cut down on heat. the first set i made ended up melting the lenses because i used 3157 bulbs.
Anyhow, you must use a trailer wiring module that people use for trailers that have no amber. it basicly turns your system from a non-combo lamp set up to combo. i used the webelectric modules to facilitate this as well. its a lot of work, but i thought it was worth it.
So my setup now is a powered conversion box for a trailer, to the webelectric modules, to lamp bulbs (i used 3157 style LED towers in red). the outer tower will BARELY fit once your lamp is modified (because the outer bulb will be a 194 style bulb and socket). so i have 3 3157 style bulb sockets on each lamp for brakes/turns, then the reverse lamp. it took me like a month to work this out to where it worked everytime and correctly.
I made a rough wiring schematic, but its on my laptop at home. Ill upload it as soon as i can find it when im off work.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

very interesting, i'm kind of surprised i havent seen this before (for camaros)
would there be a way to just make it one large chamber? take out those two "walls" so its jsut one? and also able to make it not look like horizontal strips?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wimimc
very interesting, i'm kind of surprised i havent seen this before (for camaros)
would there be a way to just make it one large chamber? take out those two "walls" so its jsut one? and also able to make it not look like horizontal strips?
not without extensive bull ****. you would have to remove the lens, which is nearly impossible. if you had it as one chamber, there would be no sequential effect. it would just look stupid lol.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

ah i see makes sense. though i'm still kind of determined about those horizontal stripes.

i looked up on SuperbrightLEDS, the ones you got were the $21.xx bulbs?

lol love how on the bottom is an ad for Mustang sequential tails
Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM

What's up guys. I'm bringing this thread up from it's 8 month slumber. Is there any more info on this 98-02 sequential lighting? I've been looking around for a while and every google search I did about my Camaro lead me to this forum.

Thanks.

v/r
Cuban.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't know about using the later tail lights, it looks like it has to be 93-96. If you go to the youtube link in the video i posted, the guy that made them left his email there.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 PM

What about what he said:

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
This can be done on a 97-02 Camaro. I've done it. you need the earlier lamp housings with the three chambers in them (obviously). i recommnd changing to LED bulbs once you do this coversion to cut down on heat. the first set i made ended up melting the lenses because i used 3157 bulbs.
Anyhow, you must use a trailer wiring module that people use for trailers that have no amber. it basicly turns your system from a non-combo lamp set up to combo. i used the webelectric modules to facilitate this as well. its a lot of work, but i thought it was worth it.
So my setup now is a powered conversion box for a trailer, to the webelectric modules, to lamp bulbs (i used 3157 style LED towers in red). the outer tower will BARELY fit once your lamp is modified (because the outer bulb will be a 194 style bulb and socket). so i have 3 3157 style bulb sockets on each lamp for brakes/turns, then the reverse lamp. it took me like a month to work this out to where it worked everytime and correctly.
I made a rough wiring schematic, but its on my laptop at home. Ill upload it as soon as i can find it when im off work.

I'll take a look at the video later tonight. Government computer has YouTube blocked
Old 12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm interesting
Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah what he said. Either thats what the guy in the Youtube video did, or theres more than one way (which i'm sure). I personally dont like the way the tail lights have the horizontal lines (looks dated). When I get around to it, i'll probably get a few pairs of crappy tail lights, buy some of the Altezza tail lights with the clear lens, Candy coat it red, and swap the lens over.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Hmm I see..

Would it even be worth my time to try and do this mod to the '98? I plan on selling it when my tour is over here. Maybe just put it up for $4000-$4500. It only has 69k original miles

Quick Reply: Camaro Sequential Tail Lights