Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how to remove odors???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to remove odors???

i just picked up a vehicle and it smells like someone threw up in it. how can i get this odor out??
Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rent a steam cleaner. Febreze the **** out of the carpet.

I smoke in my daily so I steam clean every year or so. Everytime I clean the inside I febreze it and spray air freshener in my a/c vents. Hell I have seen kits to clean the a/c system out to. I only use water in the steam cleaner though, heard some of the chemicals are bad on fabrics.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Kitty litter absobs smells too. Also, there are these "air sponges" that def work and they eventually shrivel up letting you know they're done. They come in a plastic case that looks like a smoke detector.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Teching In

I've heard that leaving an open container of coffee grounds under a seat for a week or two gets rid of smells. Never done it myself tho
Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome guys thanks!!! im gonna try the air sponge thing. then a thing of baking powder under the seat. im not a fan of my truck smelling like coffee lol but ill try that. and if it doesnt work then ill try the steam clean lol thanks a bunch guys i appreciate it
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine smelled like an old musty lady when I bought it. I cleaned every panel and piece of plastic on every surface of the car using meguiars all purpose cleaner and it got rid of 85% of the smell. Worked pretty good. I still need to clean the carpets and the smell would prob be gone. I would try this before those other methods cause sometimes just a thorough cleaning will eliminate smells. I would also check for spills cause something might be rotting in your car if it smells like throw up.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
i just picked up a vehicle and it smells like someone threw up in it. how can i get this odor out??
damn.. first thing that came to mind when i read the thread title was vomit.
long ago with a different car, a friend projectile vomited on the door (as he was opening it). he warned me, but i was going too fast and i think pulling over and slamming on the brakes only made it worse. he never stopped apologizing for it and cleaned it up real good, but the smell never totally went away. he even emptied a new bottle of fabreeze on it.

i tried everything. it always had that faint smell. bodily fluids have a way of seeping into things. i should have just replaced the door panel and the carpet.

good luck
Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i grabbed a can of resolve on the way home and sprayed the **** out of it let it sit for about 3-4 hours then vacuumed it up and that helped but its still there. i mean im really about 2 paychecks shy of saying **** it ripping the carpet up making sure everything is good under the carpet and replacing it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not the coffee grounds actually works! Had a friend throw up in the beater and I cleaned it for 2 days straight, sprinkled baking soda over everything and left it for a couple days, and left windows open to no help at all. I ended up getting a couple glasses, filled them with coffee grounds, and put them in the cup holders. Within a few days the smell was gone. Keep in mind I hate coffee and never drink it either but this I didn"t mind.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Febreze!!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

does it have a strong smell of coffee??? im looking to remove the odor not just cover it up.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to the pet store or pet section of the store and look for smell remover products containing odor eating enzyme for pet urine. Try and locate the source of the odor then saturate the area with the stuff and let it sit a bit then remove the excess and let it completely dry. If it's bio fluid it should kill most of the smell.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

/\ /\ /\ never thought of that. thanks man
Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean yea it smelled like coffee but after a few days the smell was gone and I got to throw it out.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

/\ /\ /\ ok ill give it a try. im gonna try and pull the carpet tonight or tomorrow night and use a shampooer we have here and my station and see if i can get it clean and get the smell out...... dumb questions once i pulled the center console and the seats the carpet should just lift out right??? its a 93 s10

Quick Reply: how to remove odors???