Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

SOM WS6 engine bay & TDs w/ Corsa tips complete. Painted intake & coils, wire mod etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SOM WS6 engine bay & TDs w/ Corsa tips complete. Painted intake & coils, wire mod etc

Been really trying to clean my car up for the G15 Fbody Gathering next weekend in Atlanta, so I've had the mod bug. I didn't plan to do many of these mods so soon, but I wanted them done for the car show. Next year: hood mirrors ..

Anyways, I got the manifold from a BilliumSS on the forums, it was on his car, prepainted. I sold my stock LS6 manifold to a local buddy, so I came out good on it. I also had a pretty damn close metallic orange spray paint that I used for the coils. It's not a perfect match to the intake, but it's pretty close. The wire mod came out really good, but I'd like to have the holes filled, but that will be in the future. Relocated the TCS module to behind the PCM and extended the wires, ran those wires the same route as the main wires. Relocating the hood latch was easy, I actually ran it into the engine bay under the main harness on the driver's side. Can't see the wire at all, no cutting involved. Also moved all the ground wires except what's on the front-most frame, it doesn't look good with them removed.

Got my true duals complete also. Got some Corsa clones from AfterthoughtsAuto. Funny because the next day they said discontinued on the site. Got them just in time. I went under the axle with flanges after the SLP Loudmouth II mufflers in case I need to drop the axle. An Xpipe into LM2's sound beautiful!! You can barely see the under axle pipes from the back of the car, unless you get really low, and it actually looks kind of cool, so I'm not upset about it.

Timeline pics of the mods I've done.. All pics taken with my camera phone.

What I started with:

Started polishing. Got the ABS module and coolant pipe here

Relocated TCS

Wire mod

Received the SOM LS6 intake

Painted and cleared coils

Relocated hood latch

True duals with Corsa clone tips

Enjoy! If you are attending the G15 Fbody Gathering next weekend and see my car. Come by and say hi. And have a or two
Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

under the axle?

and i see your ftp lid rubs, mine does to, and on their website they say no rubbing issue on the ws6 hood lmao

dont know why, but i like your car, cant put my finger on it tho
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
under the axle?

and i see your ftp lid rubs, mine does to, and on their website they say no rubbing issue on the ws6 hood lmao

dont know why, but i like your car, cant put my finger on it tho
Yeah, I don't mind under the axle. Like I said you barely see it unless you get really low, there's no ground clearance issues, I didn't want to deal with pipes banging the rear on bumps, better flow, and cheaper. With flanges, I can take it off when I want. I almost did dummy tips with the mufflers dumped, but I just ran the pipes out.

And you might like the car because of my K&N filter, that always does it!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool!

I'll be at G15. I won't have my car there as i'm riding up with stu from coral springs but i'll try to say hi.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Damn good actually. How much are you lowered? If you don't mind me asking. Have you drove the car to really see how the clearance is with the exhaust the way it is? You may have said but I didn't see it but what size is the piping?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks! It's on Hotchkis springs, which claims a 1" drop, but I it's realistically closer to like 1.5" drop. I've driven it plenty on these horrible Arkansas roads, and I have no issues at all. Anything's better than the horrible clearance with my last setup with a cutout. It's 3" pipe all the way back
Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Lol, I gotcha. I may have to do somewhat of the same setup. Is your mufflers before or after the axle?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is that exhaust custom built or is there a company that makes an under axle dual kit?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Mufflers are before the axles.

And it's a custom exhaust from a local shop
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to know. My only problem is though is our emissions here and I would have to have to cats and the one I have now scrubs over the speed bumps at work if I go over them the wrong way.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Good to know. My only problem is though is our emissions here and I would have to have to cats and the one I have now scrubs over the speed bumps at work if I go over them the wrong way.
Look into these. I fooled TN emissions with these a couple years ago. I'm currently running no cats, fake or not. But I will be looking into some high flow cats soon. I want to get rid of the smell
Old 05-22-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got any under-car shots of the exhaust you could share?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by skopers3
Got any under-car shots of the exhaust you could share?
Sure..

The pipe on the left had to be bent out to the side to clear the torque arm. I'm not a big fan of it all cocked to the side, but whatever, it works and you can't see it.

It started off as a TSP Y-pipe, with the merge cut off and mandrel bent pipes welded into a Lawson 3" Xpipe.

Here was before the pipes ran out back showing clearance. This is the lowest part of the system.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Right now I'm running Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat from Summit and it looks about the same as the fake cat you posted so it wouldn't make any difference on the scraping. I'll look into it more tomorrow after work. I'll get up and under mine and see what I can work out. The other problem I have is mine is a Camaro so unless I get a rear lip, mine wouldn't be as covered up as say yours would be.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did you use to paint the intake.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nice !

any issues driving over speed bumps?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
What did you use to paint the intake.
Previous owner had it had an auto body shop paint it. Said that in original post.

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
nice !

any issues driving over speed bumps?
Haven't encountered any, but I'm going to guess no. The pipes are right at the tire, when the tire goes up, the pipes go with it.

Last edited by HoLLo; 05-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Right now I'm running Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat from Summit and it looks about the same as the fake cat you posted so it wouldn't make any difference on the scraping. I'll look into it more tomorrow after work. I'll get up and under mine and see what I can work out. The other problem I have is mine is a Camaro so unless I get a rear lip, mine wouldn't be as covered up as say yours would be.
Buy as many parts as you can like mufflers, cats, tips, xpipe online so you save a little money when having a shop customize your exhaust. You can always go over the axle exhaust, but that's a little more pricey.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Looks great! What did tou use to polish up that condensor?? Or is that not a stock part.. I really like the painted coils, gunna hit the valve covers too?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Looks great! What did tou use to polish up that condensor?? Or is that not a stock part.. I really like the painted coils, gunna hit the valve covers too?
I used fine steel wool and Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish on every metal under the hood.. The valve covers will eventually get a bright silver powdercoat. They've been scrubbed with some steel wool, but theres no hope in polishing them..

Quick Reply: SOM WS6 engine bay & TDs w/ Corsa tips complete. Painted intake & coils, wire mod etc