Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hurst knob issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Camaro Z28
That almost looks like the stock Hurst shifter, which is still too tall in my opinion. Here is my Lou's Short Stick + Hurst ball

What shifter is that? I know you said you changed the arm with the LSS, but is that the stock hurst?

Mine sits pretty low and I had to get used to it since every fbody I had drove had the regular long *** arm with either the stock unit, or the optional hurst unit.

Here's mine. It's a Pro 5.0, but it seems to sit oddly to me compared to the other ones I've seen.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSkull
What shifter is that? I know you said you changed the arm with the LSS, but is that the stock hurst?

Mine sits pretty low and I had to get used to it since every fbody I had drove had the regular long *** arm with either the stock unit, or the optional hurst unit.

Here's mine. It's a Pro 5.0, but it seems to sit oddly to me compared to the other ones I've seen.
Yes, still the stock Hurst, just changed the arm It might look a little lower because I didn't use the jamb nut on mine for the Hurst ball, just spun it all the way down and put a little dab of loctite on it.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Launching!

It might look a little lower because I didn't use the jamb nut on mine for the Hurst ball, just spun it all the way down and put a little dab of loctite on it.

I did the same thing.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe the Pro 5.0 has a different curve or angle to it? I've only driven a car with that shifter once and it was a few years back, I can't remember if there is a difference or not.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Also, I'm kinda curious about the difference between the Hurst billet & the regular Hurst shifter for our cars. So is the extra money honestly worth it or is the regular Hurst you can grab cheaper on ebay still better than a stock non-Hurst shifter?
^x2. Anyway know the answer to this?

I'd imagine. I don't know who likes the stock height shifter anyway, unless you drive an 18 wheeler for a living. I bought a Lou's Short Stick and put the white Hurst shift ball on and was very pleased with the outcome.
Don't drive no 18 wheeler but i love the stock Hurst, i'm a firm believer in the principle "if it ain't broke don't fix it". To me the stock Hurst feels good, shifts very good, sits in neutral perfectly, and looks way better than any aftermarket ball out there IMO. I'm pretty tall and got long lanky arms so when i'm rowing hard and fast I actually like/prefer the long row. I've never really drove another setup but i have been in my buddy's Z28 where he had a short shifter and MBA ball and i hated it, sat extremely low and every time I shifted i would hit my hand/knuckles on the console and bottom of HVAC. Have you'all never experienced this problem?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner

Don't drive no 18 wheeler but i love the stock Hurst, i'm a firm believer in the principle "if it ain't broke don't fix it". To me the stock Hurst feels good, shifts very good, sits in neutral perfectly, and looks way better than any aftermarket ball out there IMO. I'm pretty tall and got long lanky arms so when i'm rowing hard and fast I actually like/prefer the long row. I've never really drove another setup but i have been in my buddy's Z28 where he had a short shifter and MBA ball and i hated it, sat extremely low and every time I shifted i would hit my hand/knuckles on the console and bottom of HVAC. Have you'all never experienced this problem?
No, can't say I have. I myself am 6'2'' and when I had the stock Hurst shaft on it, I just couldn't stand the height. When i'd have my hand on the shifter, it would just feel like the blood was rushing from my hand to my elbow. Since I've changed it, it feels more level and i feel like i have more control when going to 3rd and 5th (maybe it's my mind making that up). I don't know why your friends was different, I don't think I've ever had that issue before. Also, I think maybe the Hurst ball is a little bigger/bulkier compared to the MBA ball? I might be imagining that as well but that could make a difference with hitting the console.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you drove your buddies "Z28". The stock shifter in a Z28 is different then the optional shifter in an SS. There might have been a difference there, enough to where you were far enough forward to be hitting the HVAC controls.

Last edited by 94 Camaro Z28; 07-12-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
^x2. Anyway know the answer to this?

I'm the same way. Most of the time I love this shifter. Never had an issue.

Quick Reply: Hurst knob issue