Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Post Pics Of Your Paitned Rotor Hat

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM
-M-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked for an automotive shop one summer while I had a nice e30 BMW. I got around to doing a full brake job and on top of sand blasting my calipers and painting them, I sand blasted my rotors and painted them black then put them on the rotor refinishing machine and shaved them all even... looked amazing when all was said and done.

I plan on doing the same for my camaro when the time comes... because I know how much I HATE rust.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
x2. I have drilled/slotted rotors. I just set them on a bunch of old newspapers, and sprayed it from every angle possible. Let it dry thoroughly, mounted it on the car, and drove around the block braking normally. When I got back, it looked 100% fine.

Plus if you mess up, all you need to do to remove the paint is brake cleaner.
or brake fluid, which unfortunately will also strip powder coat
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by McNord
I painted mine silver for a nice contrast against the black wheels.

Old pic...
Love the colorway with the green!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

x2. I have drilled/slotted rotors. I just set them on a bunch of old newspapers, and sprayed it from every angle possible. Let it dry thoroughly, mounted it on the car, and drove around the block braking normally. When I got back, it looked 100% fine.

Plus if you mess up, all you need to do to remove the paint is brake cleaner.
So you didn't mask them at all? Just laid them down and sprayed the entire rotor surface?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
So you didn't mask them at all? Just laid them down and sprayed the entire rotor surface?
Yup thats what him and Sommer did.. Then just drive as normal and the brake pads took the paint off the face of the rotor
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation

The very first time I took a few hours to perfectly mask it and painted them when they were brand new so I had no "wear" lines to use to mask, so they ended up having light lines between the hat and the pad contact area. Accidentally got brake cleaner one of then so I stripped them down and just sprayed it on without masking. Turned out fine.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Launching!

^ this

I also just sprayed mine completely. Brakes might feel a little weird when braking for the first time, but all of the excess paint is gone quick.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

The very first time I took a few hours to perfectly mask it and painted them when they were brand new so I had no "wear" lines to use to mask, so they ended up having light lines between the hat and the pad contact area. Accidentally got brake cleaner one of then so I stripped them down and just sprayed it on without masking. Turned out fine.
How is the paint holding up on the slots/drilled areas? That is one main benefit from spraying the entire thing. You will prevent the slots/drilled areas from rusting.

I would LOVE some pics if you don't mind!

I was worried about spraying the entire rotor because I was advised against it because apparently the pads will "gum" up?

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Yup thats what him and Sommer did.. Then just drive as normal and the brake pads took the paint off the face of the rotor
I am almost positive Sommer masked his. I remember his thread and he did have plenty of masking tape on them beforehand.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I think I'm going to do this to my fronts when I get a chance.. Then I will do the rears later

Did you guys just spray color and go, or primer and color?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

How is the paint holding up on the slots/drilled areas? That is one main benefit from spraying the entire thing. You will prevent the slots/drilled areas from rusting.

I would LOVE some pics if you don't mind!

I was worried about spraying the entire rotor because I was advised against it because apparently the pads will "gum" up?

I am almost positive Sommer masked his. I remember his thread and he did have plenty of masking tape on them beforehand.
Paint is holding up fine. In fact there's more accumulated brake dust than paint.

No pics, sorry.

The pads can gum up, but it's only temporary... What is the softest material? Paint, brake pads, or the metal rotor? Plus, I have been changing pads once a year anyways.

Sommer did mask his. Didn't do a very good job though.

Well I think I'm going to do this to my fronts when I get a chance.. Then I will do the rears later

Did you guys just spray color and go, or primer and color?
I sanded mine a little bit with I think 400 grit, cleaned with Windex, let dry, and sprayed with matte black BBQ paint. I'm not 100% on the sandpaper grit. It was a long time ago (seriously).
Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Paint is holding up fine. In fact there's more accumulated brake dust than paint.

No pics, sorry.

The pads can gum up, but it's only temporary... What is the softest material? Paint, brake pads, or the metal rotor? Plus, I have been changing pads once a year anyways.

Sommer did mask his. Didn't do a very good job though.

I sanded mine a little bit with I think 400 grit, cleaned with Windex, let dry, and sprayed with matte black BBQ paint. I'm not 100% on the sandpaper grit. It was a long time ago (seriously).
Any chance you could get some pics in the next few days? I would really like to see how it looks with your slots/drilled areas painted matte black.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Any chance you could get some pics in the next few days? I would really like to see how it looks with your slots/drilled areas painted matte black.
Nope. The slots and drills turn whatever color the brake pad dust is anyways.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

I had mine red at first.... but it was too much for me...now they are gloss black. Makes the wheel stand out more
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I had mine red at first.... but it was too much for me...now they are gloss black. Makes the wheel stand out more
Any pics?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any pics?
you're really on a mission.. I say jsut do it
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

you're really on a mission.. I say jsut do it
He PM'ed me asking for pics and info after I replied for the first time in this thread. I told him no pics and to just do it. He's one of those types that spends more time talking about doing something and asking for pictures rather than spending time doing it and seeing it in person.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

He PM'ed me asking for pics and info after I replied for the first time in this thread. I told him no pics and to just do it. He's one of those types that spends more time talking about doing something and asking for pictures rather than spending time doing it and seeing it in person.
I did NOT send you a PM after you posted in this thread. I sent it to you before you posted in here. There wouldn't have been a reason to send you a PM after you said no pics in this thread.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry i missed this thread dudes!

already saw someone posted a pic of my car here are a couple more.

I say it looks really good!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

mine are painted silver with VHT header paint

Quick Reply: Post Pics Of Your Paitned Rotor Hat