Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Is getting your car detailed worth $200+?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AznDragon533
How do I even find detailers in my area? i live in VA btw
I'd check Autopia.org. If it wasn't that far I'd come see ya! I'm in Winston Salem, NC. Just be sure to find someone reputable. Word of mouth goes a long way.....if you go in their shop and you see dirty wool pads lying around run away.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

People say its time consuming.....so is working for $250.....
Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get an Adams Polish kit! like 350ish for full porter cable kit and all polishes! thats what I did plus tons and tons of info over on their forums on how to's, the kit comes with a dvd teaching you how to do everything! really cool stuff!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.presidentialdetailing.com..._platinum.html
I don't know from experience but from the pics he has posted he does really good work!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

I have done my own cars and Ill tell you this.. If some dude will do what he did to Zees car for $250, They can have it.... its worth it to me to let them spend the better part of an afternoon waxing my baby, and I have all the tools to do it myself...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
get an Adams Polish kit! like 350ish for full porter cable kit and all polishes! thats what I did plus tons and tons of info over on their forums on how to's, the kit comes with a dvd teaching you how to do everything! really cool stuff!
^^ this. at least 2 men stand tall
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff (Gofast) doesn't detail cars, he makes love to them .. Never seen someone so focus on detailing a car like Jeff. Needless to say, he's given me multiple details on multiple cars over the years, simply because I have zero patience to do this kind of thing.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

How do I even find detailers in my area? i live in VA btw
what part of Va are you in?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Yea if your not a pro with all the products............plan on spending your weekend !!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I would pay that... Anyone know who does this in the D/FW area? That black is slick as hell...
Yeah his name on here is BADCOMPANYVPWS6 or something like that. He posts in here all of the time. He does some really good work.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

i charge anywhere from 250-450 usually on a one step correction depending on the size of the vehicle. takes me approximately 6-14 hrs. it will make your paint last and car stay in great shape! I recommend twice a year getting a detail. then simply upkeep it with some final finish and washing/waxing.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Internet Mechanic

In general, if your not willing to do the work yourself, then you can never complain about the price. Also that businesses charge more due to taxes, expenses, over head, profit and whatever else.

You could trust your cars to a local guru and most times do well but there is that chance you can get screwed.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got quoted $350 to get my door repainted, get one of my headlight covers repainted, realign two body panels and have the entire car detailed. That considered $200 seems steep to me.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
I got quoted $350 to get my door repainted, get one of my headlight covers repainted, realign two body panels and have the entire car detailed. That considered $200 seems steep to me.
$200 is very cheap if done by a professional. most of us charge upwards of $250. if you've ever ever taken the time to do a FULL detail on a car. 6+ hours of work. you will see that the prices are justified.

when i do my details i charge a minimum of 250. thats for claybarring, 2 buffing stages, sealant and wax. not to mention cleaning and conditioning the interior and underhood. also using products on all the trim, cleaning the wheels, exhaust etc. if any wetsanding is needed that adds a little to the price as well as filling in rock chips/scratches and wetsanding. those are added services.

just an example of my most recent details. this was my process on both of them

Wash
Bug & Tar Removal
Claybar
Wet sanding (where paint is repairable/necessary)
Stage 1 Exterior Buff using meguiars 105
Stage 2 Exterior Polish using meguiars 205
1 coat of wax
1 coat of sealant
Clean/dress Tires, Rims & Wheel Wells
Detail Logos & Trim to Remove Excess Wax Residue
clean door jams
exhaust tips cleaned and polished (inside/out)
dress trim
underhood hand cleaned where applicable

Interior/trunk vacuumed and stains removed (if not a permanent stain)
Clean and dress all interior vinyl/leather
Clean Windows, Mirrors & Ashtray

the completed results of a the car usually will justify the price if you ever have it done. the idea is to get rid of the swirls and as many scratches as possible. also de-contaminating paint and renewing the color.

see my first pic below. on a blach C5 where half the hood was buffed with only the first stage. and the other half of the hood was left alone.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

^ Agreed. Some cars take TIME! Most people are looking for 20-30$ per hour which by ANY shop rate is not expensive. Sometimes the buffing times takes the most to get right. This is where a rotary makes you time and some may disagree but most major shops use this tool still. It is the user's ability and eye for detail that dictates the results.

Some guys out there really get into it and add plastic swirl correction which IMO is crazy but some car need it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...413s-ride.html

This is a car I did for a fellow member, I think I charged 120$. No buffer correction, just a good cleaning, glaze/polish, 2 stage wax and the thing looked SOOOO much better.

No
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I would pay that... Anyone know who does this in the D/FW area? That black is slick as hell...
Sent you a pm.

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Yeah his name on here is BADCOMPANYVPWS6 or something like that. He posts in here all of the time. He does some really good work.
Thank you good sir!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94QuasarZ
Imo, the actual owner of the car would do the best job detailing their car since it's theirs and they appreciate their car for what it is better than anyone else could. Not to mention, a thorough wash, detail clean, and clay bar is a nice relaxing day with my car :yes:
While that sounds like a good idea...but the normal Joe doesn't haven't a good idea of what it takes to remove all the embedded fall out etc along with removing imperfections in the paint.

There's a reason detailers charge what they do, and it's justified if their work is good. I normally do a 2x2 section for the customer showing them what it could look like when I'm all done vs what it looked like before. It usually sells it self.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Gofast and Presidential are the BEST detailers on the website....

I wish I had the money to fly one or the other out to Chicago for their details

Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

for 200 bucks all youre gonna get is a wash, clay, and wax. it all depends on how you want youre car to look after it is cleaned in the direct sunlight. a full paint correction from reputable people that actually use polishers on youre car will cost 600 + soo if u want just a wax after the first wash in direct sunlight u will see spider webs everywhere in the paint and if u do a paint correction u will see depth in the paint in direct sunlight and thats it. i know these guys arent in youre area but for an idea of what paint correction will do for u google (unique car care wakefield ma) they have tons of pictures of cars that look like they have been washed with sandpaper and after done they look like they r off the showroom floor.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02gangsta/ss
for 200 bucks all youre gonna get is a wash, clay, and wax. it all depends on how you want youre car to look after it is cleaned in the direct sunlight. a full paint correction from reputable people that actually use polishers on youre car will cost 600 + soo if u want just a wax after the first wash in direct sunlight u will see spider webs everywhere in the paint and if u do a paint correction u will see depth in the paint in direct sunlight and thats it. i know these guys arent in youre area but for an idea of what paint correction will do for u google (unique car care wakefield ma) they have tons of pictures of cars that look like they have been washed with sandpaper and after done they look like they r off the showroom floor.
For a wash, wax, and clay that's pretty damn expensive. I can't justify charging people for that little of work.

Quick Reply: Is getting your car detailed worth $200+?