Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

White fbody needs some love. Dirty paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White fbody needs some love. Dirty paint

I have a white 2000 Trans am WS6 and live on a dirt road. My paint is at the point where it looks dull and contaminated. I can clearly see specs of sand, dirt, grit, etc all stuck in my clearcoat. Mostly on the rear bumper and on the lower half of the doors/ side skirts.

The paint almost looks "staind" in some places because of all the contaminants. My garden hose has a lot of iron water in it, and that is what I have always used to wash the car. BAD IDEA !!

Now, I plan on bringing the car to a really good detailer when I get a little extra money. For now, I want to at least get the car looking decent.

This is what I plan to do this weekend.

Wash car with Dawn blue dish soap
Claybar
wash car with good quality car soap
wax car with nxt 2.0

Does anyone know of a product specifically made for white cars I can use ? Something that will really make the white pop ? Or maybe a really good detergent that will help bring the contaminates in the paint out ?

Can anyone recommend me something that will get the water spots off my windows ? Its really bad and nothing I have tried, has worked so far.

I have attached a picture of the car. Look underneath the Wing of the car. No matter how many times I wash it, It stays "staind" dirty.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

I use Limeaway on my car when it's cool and in the shade. Use a sponge and only do a small area at a time, you can also use it with those Magic Erasers and it won't scratch your paint. Rinse it off well and wax when your finished.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAMN! Looks good to me bro NICE looking TA
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I would expect the claybar to remove most of the things you are worred about, if not you will need to do some correction with more aggressive polishes.

I bet it looks better than you expect it to once you finish, you might add in a good cleaner polish before the wax.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Get a professional detail. Gofast98z on here did mine and before I wanted to paint my car and after I couldn't believe the car wasn't repainted. It's worth the money for a professional detailer to do work!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS#502
I use Limeaway on my car when it's cool and in the shade. Use a sponge and only do a small area at a time, you can also use it with those Magic Erasers and it won't scratch your paint. Rinse it off well and wax when your finished.
I will look into that. Thanks !

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
DAMN! Looks good to me bro NICE looking TA
It looks good from a distance but when you look up close, you can still see specs in the clear coat.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I would expect the claybar to remove most of the things you are worred about, if not you will need to do some correction with more aggressive polishes.

I bet it looks better than you expect it to once you finish, you might add in a good cleaner polish before the wax.
The claybar won't get 100% of it but I think your right. I will try the cleaner polish before the wax. thank you!

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Get a professional detail. Gofast98z on here did mine and before I wanted to paint my car and after I couldn't believe the car wasn't repainted. It's worth the money for a professional detailer to do work!
That's the plan, but I won't be getting a professional detail until probably fall.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Here the solution that is worth every penny. Adams polishes porter cable kit. My car was off white when i got it. did a full detail now it looks like this:

Here is a pic of my car next to my friends car. both have stock paint. My friends car in the background has a yellow tinge to it, that my car had also when i first got it before i did the the detail.

For the price of a professional detail, you can do it yourself with the abilty to do several more cars and make your money back. Visit http://www.adamspolishes.com/ and watch the vids.
Heres the link tothe buffer kit page:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-14-po...polishing.aspx

Last edited by 808z28camaro; 07-12-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My recommendation:
Wash + soap + dry
Claybar
Rinse + dry (both steps may or may not be necessary)
Apply/Remove Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Apply/Remove Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Apply/Remove wax, sealer, or wax+sealer combo of choice.

Originally Posted by SS#502
Seriously? I can only imagine what damage the Limeaway + Magic Sandpaper combo does to ones paint. Clearcoat? Totally overrated. Not like people use Magic Erasers to strip clearcoat on things.
OP: Don't do this ^. Don't believe me? Read what people DO use it for: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ic-eraser.html

Last edited by ZexGX; 07-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Instead of hose water (I know how gross and full of iron a small town/county towns water supply can have), I'd go to the store and pick up a few gallons of distilled or spring water. It's pretty cheap considering and you don't have to worry about what's in it.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 808z28camaro
Here the solution that is worth every penny. Adams polishes porter cable kit. My car was off white when i got it. did a full detail now it looks like this:

Here is a pic of my car next to my friends car. both have stock paint. My friends car in the background has a yellow tinge to it, that my car had also when i first got it before i did the the detail.

For the price of a professional detail, you can do it yourself with the abilty to do several more cars and make your money back. Visit http://www.adamspolishes.com/ and watch the vids.
Heres the link tothe buffer kit page:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-14-po...polishing.aspx
I'm seriously going to look into this. I guess if I watch the videos and take my time, it will turn out ok.

Originally Posted by ZexGX
My recommendation:
Wash + soap + dry
Claybar
Rinse + dry (both steps may or may not be necessary)
Apply/Remove Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Apply/Remove Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Apply/Remove wax, sealer, or wax+sealer combo of choice.

Seriously? I can only imagine what damage the Limeaway + Magic Sandpaper combo does to ones paint. Clearcoat? Totally overrated. Not like people use Magic Erasers to strip clearcoat on things.
OP: Don't do this ^. Don't believe me? Read what people DO use it for: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ic-eraser.html
I was going to do more research before using it but after seeing that, I will probably staff away from the limeaway / magic eraser. lol

Originally Posted by 94 Camaro Z28
Instead of hose water (I know how gross and full of iron a small town/county towns water supply can have), I'd go to the store and pick up a few gallons of distilled or spring water. It's pretty cheap considering and you don't have to worry about what's in it.
Not a bad idea I guess. I don't even wash my car at my house anymore because of the awful water.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

All the posts on here seem pretty good to me other than the Lime-Away and Magic Erase. But OP, your car looks great.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the same problem but with just my rear bumper, i think i just may have it repainted because of how bad it it. Having a white car in down here in a swamp sucks so bad. i usually do a wash then clay and maybe a rubbing or polishing compound pending on where its bad on my car then a good wax and done
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Mix some purple power in with your wash water and that pretty much takes care of most stains on white paint . But don't use it on any other color and be sure to wax when your done
Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry for the misinterpretation... Limewaway is just one of the chemical processes that can remove the waterspots when done properly that is cheap and fast. The Magic Eraser is just something I uses sparingly to get rid of tar and bugs. Don't rub the **** out of your paint, just light enough to take whats on top of it off. Like compounds and polishes if not used right you can f-up any paint job. There's also a chemical called "Splash" that is made for automotive use for removing waterspots without damaging your paint, again the car has to be cool and not in direct sunlight. I've been using Limeaway on multiple cars of different colors and never had a problem. I live in Hawaii where our cars are hammered by the sun, salt and hardwater everyday for the past 23 years and have tried different techniques, this one is the easiest and cheapest by far...
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Know what I use to get rid of tar and bugs? GOOD car soap, and a microfiber wash mit.

The only kind of bugs I'd use a Magic Eraser on would be this kind:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0jaiKAKUBk...600/beetle.jpg
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Brian, I have a porter cable buffer if you want to borrow it and do it yourself.. Its very very easy and will not burn the paint. Let me know, I wont be needing it since my cars at the body shop. lol
Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BKDZ28
Brian, I have a porter cable buffer if you want to borrow it and do it yourself.. Its very very easy and will not burn the paint. Let me know, I wont be needing it since my cars at the body shop. lol
Porter cable FTW.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BKDZ28
might have to take you up on that.

Quick Reply: White fbody needs some love. Dirty paint