Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My homeade backlit radio delete panel with Trans Am logo progress pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My homeade backlit radio delete panel with Trans Am logo progress pics

Almost done with it, I like how its turning out. I had a guy make me a mirrored TRANS AM logo so I could stick it on the back, paint around it, and peel off the decal so it looks right from the front. Im using plexiglass and it looks a whole lot better if you can paint it from the back. That way it looks like a mirror finish on the front even though I used cheap flat black paint. Nice little trick. I just ordered some red transparent taillight film that I will stick on the back to make it glow red (the cars painted red) and to also make it stay red when the lights are off. I have it wired to the dimmer switch so I can adjust brightness. I might have to go with a small light bar instead of this LED strip unless the red film will diffuse the light more evenly. Anywayz, heres a few pics.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool (and nice work), but two problems with plexiglass:
1) scratches easily
2) warps pretty easy, depending on how hot it gets

I like the idea. Looks great.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

that looks pretty good, nice work.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Cool (and nice work), but two problems with plexiglass:
1) scratches easily
2) warps pretty easy, depending on how hot it gets

I like the idea. Looks great.
Thanks. I work with plexi at one of my jobs. It doesnt scratch that easy but why would it get scratched anyway?? It will buff out too. No chance of it warping either. Whats going to get that hot in that area? You must be thinking of some really thin hobby lobby junk.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great work!
That's exactly what I want to do but with a different logo.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice! But, ummmm... you don't like music?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by carlos64030
Very nice! But, ummmm... you don't like music?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
I was wondering the same thing.
I have 2 of these cars and this one is going to be a street/strip car. The exhaust is so loud you cant hear a radio much anyway plus Id rather hear the cam.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Thanks. I work with plexi at one of my jobs. It doesnt scratch that easy but why would it get scratched anyway?? It will buff out too. No chance of it warping either. Whats going to get that hot in that area? You must be thinking of some really thin hobby lobby junk.
I've worked with plexi at one of my jobs too. Heating/shaping/painting/cleaning/etc.. All depends on how thick you went with this for everything but the scratching. It's a PITA to keep polishing and dusting plexiglass since every time I've cleaned it with Novus or similar polish it turns into a dust magnet - I'm kinda tired of it myself. lol

It'd get scratched from things brushing against it. What things? I dunno. Fingernails, jackets, food bags, I don't really know - depends on how you treat your car interior... With my luck I'd probably get a scratch or two on it within the first two months just because it's close to the HVAC controls.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

I've worked with plexi at one of my jobs too. Heating/shaping/painting/cleaning/etc.. All depends on how thick you went with this for everything but the scratching. It's a PITA to keep polishing and dusting plexiglass since every time I've cleaned it with Novus or similar polish it turns into a dust magnet - I'm kinda tired of it myself. lol

It'd get scratched from things brushing against it. What things? I dunno. Fingernails, jackets, food bags, I don't really know - depends on how you treat your car interior... I'd probably get a scratch or two on it within the first two months just because it's close to the HVAC controls.
Fingernails not going to scratch just brushing by it would have to be intentional. Food bag? I treat everything Ive put time into very good. I dont see why I should have any of these problems and it I can wipe off dust in about 5 seconds. What in your car is plexi that your tired of? This cars not going to have A/C either. What everyones not understanding is this car will be lucky to get driven 3 or 5 times a month. I have 7 running cars 5 of which are hobby.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

It also depends on what your idea of a scratch is because if you get down to it, everytime you wipe your car off you scratch it but who can see it? I guess its kind of a subjective term.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Fingernails not going to scratch just brushing by it would have to be intentional. Food bag? I treat everything Ive put time into very good. I dont see why I should have any of these problems and it I can wipe off dust in about 5 seconds. What in your car is plexi that your tired of? This cars not going to have A/C either. What everyones not understanding is this car will be lucky to get driven 3 or 5 times a month. I have 7 running cars 5 of which are hobby.
It's not things in my car that are plexi... It's the big *** plexi display cases that I got tired of prepping prior to shipping to the customer.

It's a nice show piece. You may want to look into an EL panel (they sell them on eBay) to give it that nice even glow. Not sure if they're dimmable. http://www.zsqts.com.cn/product-phot...t-EL-Panel.jpg
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

It's not things in my car that are plexi... It's the big *** plexi display cases that I got tired of prepping prior to shipping to the customer.

It's a nice show piece. You may want to look into an EL panel (they sell them on eBay) to give it that nice even glow. Not sure if they're dimmable. http://www.zsqts.com.cn/product-phot...t-EL-Panel.jpg
EL panel sounds like it would work. I was trying to look for something like that but didnt really know what they were called. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Any chance you know how bright they are, maybe compared to a normal LED? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Looks awesome
Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

You can't dim led's
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by derekatnip45
You can't dim led's
Hmmm. I dimmed these. Left it like that for a good 20 seconds but I actually didnt think you could dim them. Anyone else know for sure?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

LEDs can most definetly be dimmed. take the proper resistor for it and see how bright it is, then put a resistor that has twice the resistance value and then compare....

Or just use a pontetiometer, and then you have variable control.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, LEDs can be dimmed.

By the way, if you put red film behind there, with white LEDs, it won't glow too well. You would want red LEDs with the red film if you want it to be brighter. Try it first of course, but if it isn't bright enough, that's why.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Any chance you know how bright they are, maybe compared to a normal LED? Thanks.
They would be identical to the light used in the lighted door sills made by EmblemPros.

Quick Reply: My homeade backlit radio delete panel with Trans Am logo progress pics