Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Leaf blower to dry car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've got hard water out here, but the blower helps by getting it off the car faster.

Today I finally broke down and got one too. I love it. Especially with the new Opti-Guard I'll be coating my truck with. Drying will be easier than you can imagine (because I bet no one here has that on their car ).

If NOTHING else, get one to do the wheels/tires. Oh my goodness, what a help that is!!!!! Saved me like 30 minutes today and took about 10 sec per wheel.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for spending all that time looking GoFast.
I'm going to guess it was one of the ones that routes the exhaust through the blower tube as well. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Thanks for spending all that time looking GoFast.
I'm going to guess it was one of the ones that routes the exhaust through the blower tube as well. Thanks again.
The thing about all gas powered leaf blowers is that they ALL have an exhaust. It doesn't matter which way the exhaust blows, the contents of that exhaust can still blow back onto your paint. Whether or not those exhaust particles are debris or expelled gases, you don't want that stuff blowing back onto your paint. Most people who use a gas powered blower are going to be using it outside where you have absolutely no control over the wind. This is why you never use a gas powered leaf blower, only an electric one.

Personally, I use a Metro Air Force Master Blaster. Someone asked me about buying one of these things because once they saw the price, they needed to justify spending all that money. Here's what I told them:

"My honest opinion? There was no way that you could have gotten me to spend that jack on the Master Blaster by looking at the videos provided by the manufacturer. There was no way that you could have convinced me to buy one by reading the manufacturer's web site. Not even the testimonials of satisfied customers could convince me to buy one because no one could explain to me WHY it was better than my $30 leaf blower.

Then I got one.

Holy mother of circuit breaker trip demons!!! That thing has a 18 amp draw at full load! To someone who doesn't know anything about electricity, THAT'S A BOAT LOAD OF AMPERAGE for an appliance! I had to have an electrician to install a 20 amp breaker in my garage so that I could use that thing at full bore!

According to the manufacturer's website, the Master Blaster is capable of delivering up to 58,500 feet-per-minute of clean, dry, warm, filtered air. Now I don't have a freakin' clue what 58,500 feet-per-minute is so that claim meant nothing to me. Had I known what my leaf blower was putting out, I would have had some idea. But since I have no knowledge about air moving by the feet, those were just numbers and claims to me. Remember, I'm the guy who you have to prove beyond all doubt that what you're trying to sell me works. That's why my videos are made the way they are. I am proving to myself that what I say is true. If not, you will never see that video.

Here's my dilemma and why you haven't seen that video yet (although I did make a short one). I need something in my video that compares the output of my leaf blower to the output of the Master Blaster. That is the ONLY way that the masses will understand just how powerful the Master Blaster is. I have beat myself up with trying to come up with something convincing. I finally figured out what that something will be.

Enter the "Anemometer". An instrument for measuring the speed of the wind, or of any current of gas.

Now I just have to go buy one. They ain't exactly cheap and I won't have any use for one except for this video but that my friend, will show the world how much air the Master Blaster moves.

Keep in mind that this thing not only moves air, it moves HEATED AIR. If your paint is as slick as snot, then you will be blown away at how sweet this puppy dries your car or bike. If you have some old jacked up, rough as hell paint, don't waste your money. It will still work but you will spend more time drying. Once your paint has been clayed, corrected and waxed, you won't believe how fast the water runs off you car. I will never be without one of these devices. The Master Blaster kicks major azz!

Here's a short video that I did while down in Florida at a guy's house who bought one for his 5 luxury cars. It's just a teaser, but you'll see how it dries his intricate wheels.

FYI, Adam's carries these and if you buy one, you can get 10% off using my coupon code (the junkman), and it comes with a LIFETIME warranty. I don't think anyone else offers a lifetime warranty, only a 1 year warranty. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhOjf...el_video_title

Here's another use for the Master Blaster, as this machine has been around for years. Thunder is not too crazy about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUg5...VzBuCu2mxOfN3a

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
To all you guys driving your car and wiping it down, please stop. You're wiping fresh dirt into the paint and that will create marring and swirls. Just look at the rear bumper after 2 blocks

Also do NOT use a gas powered one. You WILL get oil/gas on the car. Someone did a writeup on it, on the detail forums and the amount of stuff coming out of it was shocking. Bottom line, use electric. Another good idea is to use it in the same spot as where you washed, when the ground is still wet, that way less chance of blowing dirt up onto the car.
This is SO dead on, so dead on, so dead on! I would have posted the same exact thing had I seen this thread earlier.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

We've got hard water out here, but the blower helps by getting it off the car faster.

Today I finally broke down and got one too. I love it. Especially with the new Opti-Guard I'll be coating my truck with. Drying will be easier than you can imagine (because I bet no one here has that on their car ).

If NOTHING else, get one to do the wheels/tires. Oh my goodness, what a help that is!!!!! Saved me like 30 minutes today and took about 10 sec per wheel.

Which one did you buy?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Um electric... I'm pretty vocal about being against gas blowers...................
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Um electric... I'm pretty vocal about being against gas blowers...................
Sorry I meant which brand of electric?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LeftySS
Sorry I meant which brand of electric?
Here's the cheap blower I use to use. It got the job done but it is definitely not a Master Blaster. As a matter of fact, it's less than half of what the Master Blaster is.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Here's the cheap blower I use to use. It got the job done but it is definitely not a Master Blaster. As a matter of fact, it's less than half of what the Master Blaster is.
Thanks junkman!
Yeah that is all I was looking for was a cheap but effective one. That is the same one I was looking at in Wally world actually
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weed-Eater...Blower/4910793
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh my mistakes. I think its a Toro.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LeftySS
Thanks junkman!
Yeah that is all I was looking for was a cheap but effective one. That is the same one I was looking at in Wally world actually
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weed-Eater...Blower/4910793
That's the exact model I have. They make them with different names and model numbers but they are all the same blower. Everyone carries one in that $27-$30 price range. I actually use mine to blow leaves now. Go figure!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get this one guys..

http://www.lowes.com/pd_126753-53393...r|1&facetInfo=

Just over $40. Up to 235mph and flows 380cfm. The others cheaper ones flow far less. This one out performs more expensive one too. Good deal!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to have to agree to disagree on this whole subject. I mean I'm all about a nice finish, but really, it's a car! Unless you are trailering it everywhere to car shows in an enclosed trailer, our paint sees a hell of a lot worse things driving down the highway. I have a gas powered Shindiawa backpack blower. Thats what I've always used, and that's what I will continue to use. Everything is damp in the area and usually very little wind. Hence very little if any particles floating in the air. If this was such an issue I don't think I'd still be using it to blow grass and crap off my face and body! To each his own! Good luck.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I'm going to have to agree to disagree on this whole subject. I mean I'm all about a nice finish, but really, it's a car! Unless you are trailering it everywhere to car shows in an enclosed trailer, our paint sees a hell of a lot worse things driving down the highway. I have a gas powered Shindiawa backpack blower. Thats what I've always used, and that's what I will continue to use. Everything is damp in the area and usually very little wind. Hence very little if any particles floating in the air. If this was such an issue I don't think I'd still be using it to blow grass and crap off my face and body! To each his own! Good luck.
For the average person using this method to dry off their car etc..it's "fine"

But to a professional detailer where EVERYTHING that comes into and CAN come into contact with the paints finish, this stuff matters big time. Not knocking you for it, but I use an electric blower from Chemical Guys to help aid in my drying for customers cars.

Personally, I still wouldn't recommend you using a gas powered blower on your paints finish either. To each their own and happy detailing! Just keep it clean!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
For the average person using this method to dry off their car etc..it's "fine"

But to a professional detailer where EVERYTHING that comes into and CAN come into contact with the paints finish, this stuff matters big time. Not knocking you for it, but I use an electric blower from Chemical Guys to help aid in my drying for customers cars.

Personally, I still wouldn't recommend you using a gas powered blower on your paints finish either. To each their own and happy detailing! Just keep it clean!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Been using a leaf blower for about 17 years. The older Toro ones were the best. 250+ mph with a plastic fan. I now take my leaf blower with me if the wife doesnt let me wash the car early enough that I annoy neighbors. External battery and necessary cabling and i can do it at a coin op

it must look funny to some but I refuse to drive my cars with a single drip or streak of water ANYWHERE. including inside the rim barrels and many many other places.

Quick Reply: Leaf blower to dry car?