Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't been able to read the whole thread it is kind of long so forgive me if it has been asked but what is the best and safesy way to clean the engine? Mine is looking a little grungy and I want to make it look nice again.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
What tool are you working with?
Literally just an off brand 8" RO polisher. Less than ideal, but it was free LOL.

It's been sitting a while in the garage and by the time I finished, the soft foam base you put the pads on was falling apart, so I definitely need to buy something new. I just don't want to spend a lot of money at the moment. Is there a way to make due with a basic store bought RO polisher?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Would the Porter Cable 7424XP be a good starter polisher? Should I replace the backing plate on it?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Neko
Would the Porter Cable 7424XP be a good starter polisher? Should I replace the backing plate on it?
Yes it would be a good starter. Definitely get a 5" backing plate to run 5"-5.5" pads.

Here are a couple kits that are nice

http://www.autogeek.net/pc-3d-hd-flawless-kit.html

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-kit.html

This is also another good kit.

http://www.autogeek.net/best-griots-...uffer-kit.html

You could also look into the Harbor Freight dual action polisher and get yourself some pads and a 5" backing plate.

You could then pick up some products locally. Meguiar's has their ultimate compound, polish and wax. Griot's (see link above) has just released their new products which are comparable to the Meguiar's ultimate line.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Yes it would be a good starter. Definitely get a 5" backing plate to run 5"-5.5" pads.

Here are a couple kits that are nice

http://www.autogeek.net/pc-3d-hd-flawless-kit.html

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-kit.html

This is also another good kit.

http://www.autogeek.net/best-griots-...uffer-kit.html

You could also look into the Harbor Freight dual action polisher and get yourself some pads and a 5" backing plate.

You could then pick up some products locally. Meguiar's has their ultimate compound, polish and wax. Griot's (see link above) has just released their new products which are comparable to the Meguiar's ultimate line.
Thank you! I'm in Canada and Amazon has the Porter Cable for $189 Canadian. I have Prime so it saves me shipping costs. The Griot is around the same price. I noticed Chemical Guys pads and backing plates are available with Prime too and I can get them with the Porter Cable for a reasonable price. Meguires ultimate stuff is luckily available local to me, and I already own most of their stuff lol. I just haven't found any of the 105 compound in local stores. With a proper cutting pad and the Porter Cable, is the harsher really 105 necessary for me or can the Ultimate Compound take care of most defects? My car's paint is an easy 8.5/10. Just minor stubborn stuff I need to get out.

If love to try some more boutique stuff but with shipping costs adding up, it's easier to stick with Meguires locally.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Ultimate Compound is derived from M105. It contains the same abrasives found in M105. I would not recommend M105 for someone starting out. It has a learning curve and it can be frustrating. Ultimate Compound is much more user friendly.

Before you start I would recommend a test spot with the least aggressive polish and pad. For example Ultimate Polish on a polishing pad. If you need more correction you can move up to UC and a cutting pad.

If you are able to get the Meguiar's thin foam pads, I would get those. I am not a fan of anything chemical guys.

Lake Country has some new thin pro pads as well. Thinner pads will translate the tools power better. Especially on a PC7424XP.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

My dash is starting to really fade in the airbag area, any recommended products for this?

Last edited by CoreyD; 06-08-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend who details my cars uses sealant in addition to wax, whereas most detailers only use wax and not sealant. He says sealant is a harder coat to protect against bird crap, tree sap, and road salt in the winter. Why don't some detailers use sealant? I ask because it seems like a no-brainer for a detail that lasts several months and protects against daily drivers' worst nightmares.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CoreyD
My dash is starting to really fade in the airbag area, any recommended products for this?

im no professional and havent used these but thought i would give you some things to look at until someone with experience can help you

Poorboy's World Trim Restorer
http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer
http://www.autogeek.net/best-plastic-restorer.html

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant(protectant but claims "Faded dashboards will be restored to their original color and dry hardened leather will be dark and soft again."
http://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html
Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joeyofblades
My friend who details my cars uses sealant in addition to wax, whereas most detailers only use wax and not sealant. He says sealant is a harder coat to protect against bird crap, tree sap, and road salt in the winter. Why don't some detailers use sealant? I ask because it seems like a no-brainer for a detail that lasts several months and protects against daily drivers' worst nightmares.
im a noob but from what ive read a sealant is indeed a better form of protection and last longer but waxes tend to give a better look.

the most ideal situation would be sealant first then add a wax over it for best of both worlds. however that costs more and uses more time so perhaps some just go for the wax or maybe arent informed enough about sealants
Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone have any experience with DoDo Juice "Light Fantastic"? I've read multiple reviews that state this wax is incredible for lighter colored vehicles. I'm thinking about trying this out on my 2002 Pewter-Metallic WS6.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CoreyD

I don't think you can rejuvenate that. It looks real bad. You might have to cut your losses and replace it completely.

Originally Posted by Joeyofblades
Tell your buddy to focus on his business and forget what other detailers are doing. Tell him not to be a sniper. In the end it comes down to what the customer wants and pays for.

Good article to read.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dylan...98094676895539

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
im a noob but from what ive read a sealant is indeed a better form of protection and last longer but waxes tend to give a better look.

the most ideal situation would be sealant first then add a wax over it for best of both worlds. however that costs more and uses more time so perhaps some just go for the wax or maybe arent informed enough about sealants
Sealants have come a long way. Some can match the look of a carnauba. Some like to use carnauba for show cars and sealants on daily drivers as they are more durable.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
im no professional and havent used these but thought i would give you some things to look at until someone with experience can help you

Poorboy's World Trim Restorer
http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer
http://www.autogeek.net/best-plastic-restorer.html

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant(protectant but claims "Faded dashboards will be restored to their original color and dry hardened leather will be dark and soft again."
http://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html
I don't think you can rejuvenate that. It looks real bad. You might have to cut your losses and replace it completely.
Thanks. I'll try them out. Hopefully I wont have to replace it but I guess we'll see!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Anyone have any experience with DoDo Juice "Light Fantastic"? I've read multiple reviews that state this wax is incredible for lighter colored vehicles. I'm thinking about trying this out on my 2002 Pewter-Metallic WS6.
No one, really?
Old 07-29-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
No one, really?
Waxes are kinda slowly fading into the sunset these days.

That being said, Dodo Juice makes good (if pricey) products. I'd say give it a try. I haven't been disappointed by any of their products that I have tried.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My mind is blown from this thread...
Old 07-29-2016, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Just gave Adams new formula wheel cleaner a shot, the stuff is legit. Worked even better than the old formula which I liked a lot. Stuff smells fantastic too
Old 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody know a good cleaner for TT2s?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Anybody know a good cleaner for TT2s?
They will need polished. I like White diamond metal polish myself.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mac62989
Just gave Adams new formula wheel cleaner a shot, the stuff is legit. Worked even better than the old formula which I liked a lot. Stuff smells fantastic too
I'm going to give this a try too. Good to hear you like it.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer