Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea just stick with the detail spray I'm sure Jeff would agree.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Conrad
Yea just stick with the detail spray I'm sure Jeff would agree.
Yes, its a bit cleaner that way, no chance of water spotting.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok cool
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Jeff,

I have a few questions. I don't think they have been covered yet.

1. What do you use to clean an engine bay? AP cleaner mixed 4:1, foam cannon? Do you put anything on afterwards to make it look better? I know Adams has a product called "In and Out" for that kind of thing and wheel wells. I figure it wouldn't be good to use something that was real oily or greasy because it would attract dirt.

2. I am looking at getting a foam cannon. It's one of the few things I don't have yet. Do you have to use a pressure washer to use one or is that just an added bonus?

Thanks!

-----------------

Added. I was looking around on Autogeek and found a few guns that use compressed air. I also found one that you can use on the interior? Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD_Hj...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by LilJayV10; 07-11-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question, I waxed my car about a two days ago with the Adams Buttery wax, the results were astonishing right after I had finished. However, coming home from work yesterday I got caught in a decent rain. Well, I pull it out of the garage to wash it today and I see streak marks from the wax all over the car. So, I still proceed to go ahead and wash it, didn't help. I sprayed the car down with quick detailer and buffed it with a clean microfiber, didn't help. Had the cars paint looking awesome for the longest time and this pretty much ruined my hard work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gs462
I read quite a few pages and didnt see the answer i was looking for. Sorry if this is a reask, but My dash the padded part, is gettin dry n fading slightly is there anything I can put on it to slow down or help reverse the damage??
Help??
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Quick question, I waxed my car about a two days ago with the Adams Buttery wax, the results were astonishing right after I had finished. However, coming home from work yesterday I got caught in a decent rain. Well, I pull it out of the garage to wash it today and I see streak marks from the wax all over the car. So, I still proceed to go ahead and wash it, didn't help. I sprayed the car down with quick detailer and buffed it with a clean microfiber, didn't help. Had the cars paint looking awesome for the longest time and this pretty much ruined my hard work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried a claybar or dawn wash? Take the wax off then use a diff type.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply man. The car hasn't seen a claybar in quite a while, but I'm definitely considering trying the Dawn wash to strip all of the wax off, then applying my usual Mothers Carnauba cleaner wax, maybe that will do the trick.

If that doesn't work then it looks like I'll just be driving a streaked out Camaro until I get around to getting the paint corrected. I'm honestly livid at this point, I knew I should have just stuck to my usual Mothers wax. Adams usually works excellent, I use their products on my wheels, tires, trim pieces, I don't know why my cars paint responded to the wax the way it did.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Thanks for the reply man. The car hasn't seen a claybar in quite a while, but I'm definitely considering trying the Dawn wash to strip all of the wax off, then applying my usual Mothers Carnauba cleaner wax, maybe that will do the trick.

If that doesn't work then it looks like I'll just be driving a streaked out Camaro until I get around to getting the paint corrected. I'm honestly livid at this point, I knew I should have just stuck to my usual Mothers wax. Adams usually works excellent, I use their products on my wheels, tires, trim pieces, I don't know why my cars paint responded to the wax the way it did.
Well when I use my wax (BFWD) when my car isn't claybarred, it will leave streaks when I wipe the wax off. Maybe try a dawn wash and claybar your car. Then reapply the wax and see if the streaking happens in the rain again. That may be your problem. Just don't toss out the wax right away.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well made a dumb rookie mistake.... was polishing my csrt4, i knew the front bumper was messed up with rock chips, well the paint was still there just like little dents.. but didnt think about it when i was polishing, now after it dried i have this problem... i ordered some dried-on wax remover griots, will that fix my problem... thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

What exactly is the problem you are having? Are you talking about the dried on compound thats still on there?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea its polish compound, wondering if the wax remover will remove it
Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think it would or have you tried a pressurr washer close up to try to get the majority out?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no i havent even finished polishing it yet.... i have one more stage of polish and then wax... takes a few days when i would 10 hours a day and then come home and work on it for a lil while
Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gs462
Help??
Once the ad is sun bleached, there isn't much you can do but continually dress it. Don't use anything silicone based. 303 is a great product.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chadroosa
yea its polish compound, wondering if the wax remover will remove it
Maybe a little, but I wouldn't count on a great deal being removed. Every chip is a small crater.....it's just what happens with paint in that condition.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
I would think it would or have you tried a pressurr washer close up to try to get the majority out?
That's a dangerous proposition as you can take paint off if get too close. Be careful.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Jeff,

I have a few questions. I don't think they have been covered yet.

1. What do you use to clean an engine bay? AP cleaner mixed 4:1, foam cannon? Do you put anything on afterwards to make it look better? I know Adams has a product called "In and Out" for that kind of thing and wheel wells. I figure it wouldn't be good to use something that was real oily or greasy because it would attract dirt.

2. I am looking at getting a foam cannon. It's one of the few things I don't have yet. Do you have to use a pressure washer to use one or is that just an added bonus?

Thanks!

-----------------

Added. I was looking around on Autogeek and found a few guns that use compressed air. I also found one that you can use on the interior? Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD_Hj...ayer_embedded#!

For the engine bay, a light APC and a brush are the best way. Any water based dressing should be good.

For foaming the car I prefer the foam gun vs foam cannon/lance. You want to move dirt off the surface and "snow foaming" the car does look really cool, there is less water used and less dirt carried off the surface. I've used both and right now the foam gun is my preference.

The pic attached, is more gimmick than functional. But others swear by it, though I'm not convinced ven after seeing it demonstrated.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Just made it through the entire thread, thanks gofast and junk man.

Ok I didn't see the answer but when working the m105 with and orange lc flat pad what speed do you set a porter cable to?

And the same question for the 205?

I did the back half of the car yesterday with m105, 205 and bfwd, it looks so damn clean I really appreciate it guys.

Oh and I was wondering have you ever had a problem with the pad coming off of the backing plate it those tight corners? I would hate to have those Velcro swirls in the paint

The rear panel is finished vs the untouched door... The white streaks on the panel are clouds not scratches
Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackbird0230
Just made it through the entire thread, thanks gofast and junk man.

Ok I didn't see the answer but when working the m105 with and orange lc flat pad what speed do you set a porter cable to?

And the same question for the 205?

I did the back half of the car yesterday with m105, 205 and bfwd, it looks so damn clean I really appreciate it guys.

Oh and I was wondering have you ever had a problem with the pad coming off of the backing plate it those tight corners? I would hate to have those Velcro swirls in the paint
I use speed 5 on the PC when using M105/orange pad and the same for the M205/white pad.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer