Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dashboard removal...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dashboard removal...

How hard is it to remove a dash from a 98-02 Camaro? Also, will the center console from an A4 interchange with the M6?
Thanks

<small>[ April 04, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: badfkr98SS ]</small>
Old 04-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Default Re: Dashboard removal...

I don't know about the dashboard removal, but all it should be is a matter of taking everything in the area apart and taking out the bolts that hold the stuff together.

About the consoles, no they are not interchangeable. In the M6, the ash tray is behind the shifter whereas in an automatic, it is in front of it.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

center consols should change, but the top piece is different A4 vs M6, so you will need the correct top piece, (dealer cost like $90)

Ryan.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

honestly the dash board removal is a bitch, i removed mine in a convertible with the top down and it was pretty tough, with a hard top you'll definitly need to take out the seats and console before attempting to remove it. plus the passenger side airbag is actually attached to the top of the dash so to actually remove it you gotta pull the top plastic cover off that meets the windshield, it's velcroed on. then unbolt all the trim pieces and pull the guage cluster. unbolt the dash panels(there's a shitload off little hidden bolts) drop the dash down and unbolt the bolts under the top of the passenger side of the dash to remove the airbag. oh and be careful and make sure to disconnect the battery, pull the airbag fuse, and wait 15-30 seconds for the airbag capacitor to die before attempting it, disconnect the little yellow connectors going to the airbag and make sure to ground yourself out somewhere on the car before trying to handle the airbag. actually now that i've written all that you may not have to remove the airbag. either way disconnecting it is a good idea.

mike
Old 04-05-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is a bitch. I think I had about 6-8 hours into the removal. I didn't have to take the seats out though. You just need good tools, good light and a lot of patience. When you take the center console out, you really have to reaf on the e brake. I mean all the way back, otherwise you won't get the console out. I believe I took the console out first. I think IT attaches to the dash. Can't remember for sure. Going back in wasn't as bad. Just knowing what it was coming out is the bad thing. Good Luck!!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

yeah the front of the console attaches under the radio/a/c section of the dash via two bolts one on each side.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

You don't have to remove the steering wheel do you? I looked at the write up on here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-pictures.html
and saw that the steering wheel was off. Didn't want to ask on that thread cause it seems like it's pretty dead lol
Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

can't speak to how hard it is on these, but I swapped the interior of my first 94 accord into my second 94 accord (I liked the grey leather better then the tan cloth) and I pulled out the tan dash, drilled the rivets holding the vin plate to the upper pad, swapped the VIN to the other dash (unlike the f-bodies the VIN plate was attached to the upper dash pad, so I had to move it over so the VIN was right) and installed the dash starting at sometime in the afternoon and finishing before dinner, it wasn't hard, the trick is finding all the bolts you've got to remove to get it out. the hardest part is getting the upper dash out without breaking it into a million pieces, once it's out you can see most the bolts that need to be removed.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Took me maybe 2 hours to pull mine and maybe 1 hour to put it back in.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

You don't have to pull the steering wheel. It's not bad if you have someone to help. Just go slow as to not crack anything.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, dash removal isn't bad at all. I did it in about 2 hours by myself taking my time. After reading posts here, i was expecting the worst.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You do not need to remove the column or wheel, would make it easier but don't have to. When you unbolt the two supports it'll hang down enough to be able to get the dash in and out. Two people help when trying to put it in place. The dash gets kinda heavy around the passenger side when the air bag is in it.

Quick Reply: Dashboard removal...