Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Illuminated clear lid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Illuminated clear lid?

I was sitting here thinking about unique stuff I haven't seen in engine bays (I'm highly medicated due to a recent surgery, so I've been going into lala land fairly regularly), and I was wondering... Has anyone ever illuminated their intake lid?

I was thinking about a clear polycarbonate lid, illuminated with colored LED's at the edge, inside the lid. If the lid had something engraved in the top (that frosted/etched glass looking engraving), the whole lid would glow a little, and it would look like the engraving is just hovering there.

What do you guys think? It probably wouldn't be that hard to do, and I think it would look pretty damned cool at night. Might just be the ricer in me, though.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

No...please dont.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds lame, im just not big on lights etc. Clean and simple...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it'd be neat. Just like the guys that put lights in their ram
Air nostrils so it shows at night
Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it would be interesting to try...

I might buy one of the knockoff clear lids and try it... I can get on the engraver we have in out machine shop on the ship and so some sort of basic emblem, and the LED's would be all that hard to mount up... I have an assorted collection of the little bastards in my wiring kit. I'm thinking a deep ice blue color.

It may turn out super gay, though. Or, it may turn out awesome. If I can get a clear lid cheap enough, I'm going to do it... Hell, if it DOES look cool, maybe I can sell a few and make money on the side.

On another note when it comes to clear lids... I'm surprised none of the guys here have figured out the painting trick. You can paint clear parts like that from the bottom and get a retarded-deep finish fairly easy with a rattlecan. It's the way all the RC guys paint their car bodies.

AHAHAHAHAHA I just came up with the riciest idea of the year so far...

Illuminated plug wire caps on the coils! They arc when the cylinder fires!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kHlXMHcEI

BAAAHAHAHAHAH!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I think it would be ok for something like at a car show cause I know someone else on here has LED's in the fender wells and I think under the hood, can't remember. Looks good but like I said though, at a car show. I can't stand seeing people driving down the road with all that crap turned on cause what? The lights that came on the car isn't good enough or something? Just my $0.02 though.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by roninsonic
I think it would be interesting to try...

I might buy one of the knockoff clear lids and try it... I can get on the engraver we have in out machine shop on the ship and so some sort of basic emblem, and the LED's would be all that hard to mount up... I have an assorted collection of the little bastards in my wiring kit. I'm thinking a deep ice blue color.

It may turn out super gay, though. Or, it may turn out awesome. If I can get a clear lid cheap enough, I'm going to do it... Hell, if it DOES look cool, maybe I can sell a few and make money on the side.

On another note when it comes to clear lids... I'm surprised none of the guys here have figured out the painting trick. You can paint clear parts like that from the bottom and get a retarded-deep finish fairly easy with a rattlecan. It's the way all the RC guys paint their car bodies.

AHAHAHAHAHA I just came up with the riciest idea of the year so far...

Illuminated plug wire caps on the coils! They arc when the cylinder fires!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kHlXMHcEI

BAAAHAHAHAHAH!
Yup I used to do that on all my RC bodies when I raced, just gotta make sure you prep the lid well and use the right paint otherwise it might flake off and get sucked in the intake.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

prep and clean execution is key.
Good luck
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

I think thats great idea for only car show use, on the right car ofcourse.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, if I make it it won't be going on MY car... I just bought a stainless lid that'll be getting my final dyno numbers and a logo engraved on it. I just figured it'd be something cheap for me to try to make, maybe sell for a few bucks profit after I get done. I'm sure someone would buy it.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Ive made a couple of those.. they actually look cool, very low light, not like a neon...
Old 09-22-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I figured it would put off just a little bit of a glow, with the engraving glowing a lot brighter and seeming to hover and just "pop".

Quick Reply: Illuminated clear lid?