Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tail light suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
The dents are what the problem has been?! The tinting isn't the best, but you could wet sand and clear them to look better. The dents were there before you tinted, guaranteed. They aren't uncommon on camaros and someone probably had those covers on before you. They are known to "melt" the lights like you said, and that dent is exactly the melting they are known for.
actually you are incorrect, The dents were not there and I know that as a fact. It has been a result of the reaction between the plastic and the paints. for one they are on aftermarket tails and I did notice the dents you are talking about on my old stock tails but the clear lense on the aftermarkets were sanded down and smooth as a babys bottom before I cleaned them up and sprayed the paint. also if you read the thread I have already cleared and wetsanded. No covers have been on any car I have ever owned. Not trying to be rude or anything but make sure you read before posting. if you meant something else my bad.

Last edited by jaxcam02; 01-17-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 14k
i raced a ss with those lights. they look sick only at night.
which ones you talking bout?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
actually you are incorrect, The dents were not there and I know that as a fact. It has been a result of the reaction between the plastic and the paints. for one they are on aftermarket tails and I did notice the dents you are talking about on my old stock tails but the clear lense on the aftermarkets were sanded down and smooth as a babys bottom before I cleaned them up and sprayed the paint. also if you read the thread I have already cleared and wetsanded. No covers have been on any car I have ever owned. Not trying to be rude or anything but make sure you read before posting. if you meant something else my bad.
Always bought since brand new? Good for you. Also, unsuccessful attempt to not be rude. You obviously just it did it completely wrong then. From proper technique (already cleared and wetsanded) to using the wrong paint for the material being painted. Have fun!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 14k
i raced a ss with those lights. they look sick only at night.
Thats funny, so that means he owned you on the race since you were looking at his taillights! xD j/k
Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin455
Always bought since brand new? Good for you. Also, unsuccessful attempt to not be rude. You obviously just it did it completely wrong then. From proper technique (already cleared and wetsanded) to using the wrong paint for the material being painted. Have fun!
W.e. you say dude i did my research on my products and techniques.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best look I've seen is LS1 tails tinted all red. Problem is you lose your white reverse light. Next best thing I've seen is exports with the amber part tinted red. Too bad they're so damn expensive.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

I like those to but I have never seen them tinted, or even on a car.
I want these LED tails, gotta sell my sequential lt1 set first.

[youtube]ih_6hAINmFQ[/youtube]
Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Captain Double Post

^those dont look to bad would like to see more pics, post some pics of your tails i need new onews mine are cracked
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The candy corn tail lights look bad *** if you have the amber section tinted red. I've seen it before on here but it was a pic that was rehosted in a completely off-topic thread if i recall so i have no idea where to begin searching for it
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found this video of the leds at night, the layout just doesnt flow well at all i think. I think these are the same as the one posted in the vid above

Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the dents weren't there to begin with like you said, it may not be from a chemical reaction from the NiteShades. Think about it, tons of folks have done the stuff and not had any problems. If it was a chemical reaction, it would be all over the tail lights. What are the odds of it being in basically the same spot on both lights? I know your lights are aftermarket, but as you know, Camaro's have a denting problem right there. I'm thinking it's the bulbs, specifically the ones right behind those dents are getting too hot causing the problem. Maybe the NiteShades is holding in more heat? Switch to LED bulbs and you won't have a problem with heat and hopefully this doesn't happen on your next set of tails. I'd vote for the LT1 lights.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jax, im still up for selling you my lt's for 150 haha.. I think those led tail lights would look fantastic if you tinted the lenses black...

Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I want these LED tails, gotta sell my sequential lt1 set first.

[youtube]ih_6hAINmFQ[/youtube]
yea those are the all red led tails just tinted

im thinking about doing it myself looks clean imo

edit:

after thinking about it i may not... if 1 led goes out, itll look like poo

Last edited by __Z__; 01-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
If the dents weren't there to begin with like you said, it may not be from a chemical reaction from the NiteShades. Think about it, tons of folks have done the stuff and not had any problems. If it was a chemical reaction, it would be all over the tail lights. What are the odds of it being in basically the same spot on both lights? I know your lights are aftermarket, but as you know, Camaro's have a denting problem right there. I'm thinking it's the bulbs, specifically the ones right behind those dents are getting too hot causing the problem. Maybe the NiteShades is holding in more heat? Switch to LED bulbs and you won't have a problem with heat and hopefully this doesn't happen on your next set of tails. I'd vote for the LT1 lights.
thats what it probably is, the only thing is its only on the reverse lights which never are one for longer than 5 - 15 seconds lol. Thats some fast acting heat especially when the air temps havent been over 50 degrees. but its w.e. im planning on switching to LEDs with the next set like you said. I dunno if you saw the setup of the gay *** tails before the nightshades but its in the same location and shape as the ones in those LED ebay lights.
Ive pretty much decided once I find a cheap set of LTs Im gonna get my buddy to spray my berger gloss black and get the mirror emblems and inserts.

and ____Z____ if im gonna pay 150 for your LTs, I would rather pay for those ones that would be professionally done and paint guaranteed lol. But thanks anyways, if you go down in price about 50 maybe. Also the reason I cant see myself buying the ebay LEDs is the thing you said bout having a single LED out causing the whole thing to look bad.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also where is a good place to buy quality leds, because of course the parts stores dont carry them.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Also where is a good place to buy quality leds, because of course the parts stores dont carry them.
V-LEDs or SuperBrightLEDs
Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Teching In

1st post

Not Red , But silver and Black , on My camaro 96 , next to my 02 SS

http://www.uploadup.com/di-YBIS.jpg
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Thats funny, so that means he owned you on the race since you were looking at his taillights! xD j/k
lol
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJrShark
1st post

Not Red , But silver and Black , on My camaro 96 , next to my 02 SS

http://www.uploadup.com/di-YBIS.jpg
you got a pic of the direct rear up close, my main issue is how glossy the black on the housing is, from an angle with the gloss stripes I put on my tails didnt look right because the housing wasnt high enough of a gloss.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just had an idea. What if, on a car with a berger panel, you tinted the tails and then painted the top third of the light to match the car. So the light would essentially disappear. Now this wouldn't work with stock tails as the reverse light is in that upper third. But if you could get enough light output from the lower chunk of the light, it could work with exports or aftermarkets. I'll try and photoshop something up.

Quick Reply: Tail light suggestions?