Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tail light suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

yea do that because I don't think im exactly sure what your trying to talk about. I think the curvature of the lights would still stand out but who knows.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep them stock or tinted! Everything else is rice!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
yea do that because I don't think im exactly sure what your trying to talk about. I think the curvature of the lights would still stand out but who knows.
Here's a quick photoshop job. You'll still notice the lights because of the gaps around them, but the idea is that its sort of like camouflaging them. I like it better than straight tint, but you'd probably lose too much light output.
Attached Thumbnails Tail light suggestions?-taillight-idea-640x480-.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

and ____Z____ if im gonna pay 150 for your LTs, I would rather pay for those ones that would be professionally done and paint guaranteed lol. But thanks anyways, if you go down in price about 50 maybe. Also the reason I cant see myself buying the ebay LEDs is the thing you said bout having a single LED out causing the whole thing to look bad.
I actually think the leds may be fine... led technology has come a long ways.. im sure if they were prone to burning out, they probably wouldnt be selling the tail lights
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
Here's a quick photoshop job. You'll still notice the lights because of the gaps around them, but the idea is that its sort of like camouflaging them. I like it better than straight tint, but you'd probably lose too much light output.

eh, I dunno.. this is sort of like painting over your receptacles in your home. I would rather them accent than try to blend in.

Originally Posted by __Z__
I actually think the leds may be fine... led technology has come a long ways.. im sure if they were prone to burning out, they probably wouldnt be selling the tail lights
Right, LED tech has come a long way. I was trying to sell people on LED lighting as a replacement in automotive lights back 12 years ago. I tried it for a while when it was a fledgling tech, almost got rearended doing that. It's MUCH better now than it was.

That being said though, you can have LED failures, and cheap LEDS are more likely to fail due to faulty solder work or crappy PCB traces/modules related to voltage than anything else. As such, a cheap made in china set of LED tails may have a higher failure rate over a period of time than doing it yourself, or using some of those LED replacement bulbs (which don't offer as high a quality of light still over incandescent really..)

your best bet for LED is a custom job on a stock housing imo. It's tedious and expensive, and requires a lot of solder work, but can be worth it in the end.

you can also buy those LED "strips" and in-lay them inside the housing, just cut the back of the housing open so you can get in there, then silicone it back together and make sure it's sealed so you don't get water inside. You can buy flexible LED strips that are bright and functional for pennies compared to doing individual LEDs. And it's like christmas lights basically.. only gotta solder the ends you cut off.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

hopefully these dont melt
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Lots of guys with Chargers do that. It's a nice touch IMO on those cars. Would like to see it actually done on one of our camaros.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSkull
Lots of guys with Chargers do that. It's a nice touch IMO on those cars. Would like to see it actually done on one of our camaros.
what exactly u mean?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Launching!

what exactly u mean?
Was referring to how the guy mentioned painting the top part of the taillight body colored to blend it in.

Lots of charger guys do that, see the picture. The taillights go all the way up and around, but they're painted over to make it look like that's part of the body instead and blend them in.
Attached Thumbnails Tail light suggestions?-38500890007_large.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSkull
Was referring to how the guy mentioned painting the top part of the taillight body colored to blend it in.

Lots of charger guys do that, see the picture. The taillights go all the way up and around, but they're painted over to make it look like that's part of the body instead and blend them in.
oh yea, def interested to see if someone could pull it off.

Quick Reply: Tail light suggestions?