Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to replace needles on your cluster??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow Best way to replace needles on your cluster??

Hey guys, i bought the macgowen silver face overlay to match my automer ultralite gauges on my pillar, and i want to ditch the orange needles thats in my t/a cluster for red needs from a z28 cluster... i already have the red needles..
Whats the best way to replace the needles so they read accurately??
thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start the car and let it warm up all the way, and take a picture of the cluster. Remove the existing needles... Start the car back up til it is warmed up again and install the new ones in the same position the old ones were in when warmed up. That's where the picture comes into play
Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Start the car and let it warm up all the way, and take a picture of the cluster. Remove the existing needles... Start the car back up til it is warmed up again and install the new ones in the same position the old ones were in when warmed up. That's where the picture comes into play
BINGO!

You'll have to re-adjust the needles a couple of times before you "push them in all the way", just a heads up. Also, as you're pushing the needles onto the shafts, you'll kind of move it around a bit and get them in the wrong place, (that's the re-adjusting part) just pull them off again and put them on in a slightly different position until they lay where you want them.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sommer86
BINGO!

You'll have to re-adjust the needles a couple of times before you "push them in all the way", just a heads up. Also, as you're pushing the needles onto the shafts, you'll kind of move it around a bit and get them in the wrong place, (that's the re-adjusting part) just pull them off again and put them on in a slightly different position until they lay where you want them.
sommer would your blue needles work/transmit the blue led color perfect? say on some macgowen white gauges?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info... i think i read somewhere to make sure your fuel tank is completely full, is this true?? or it doesnt matter as long as i have the picture to refer back to??? i never run my car past 1/4 tank empty, so i cant see it being that bad if its off alittle.. or does the fuel gauge calibrate itself???
thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
thanks for the info... i think i read somewhere to make sure your fuel tank is completely full, is this true?? or it doesnt matter as long as i have the picture to refer back to??? i never run my car past 1/4 tank empty, so i cant see it being that bad if its off alittle.. or does the fuel gauge calibrate itself???
thanks!
you'll be fine. just make sure to take note where the needle is at and put it in pointing at the same location.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bobbyd
sommer would your blue needles work/transmit the blue led color perfect? say on some macgowen white gauges?
Yes. But it depends on the LED's used. But since you mentioned the blue needles, here's the blue info....the whole needle is blue, and if you use a red LED you'll get purple. You'd have to run blue LED's or white. But I personally think our white needles look the best on everything (except for white gauges). They just have a race car/newer car/sports car look and feel to them, ya know? That's my $.02.

you'll be fine. just make sure to take note where the needle is at and put it in pointing at the same location.
Exactly.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
thanks!
None of the needles self calibrate. You'll need to take a good straight on shot of EVERY NEEDLE individually. Then put them back in the SAME place. I can them "yourself calibrating", lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Yes. But it depends on the LED's used. But since you mentioned the blue needles, here's the blue info....the whole needle is blue, and if you use a red LED you'll get purple. You'd have to run blue LED's or white. But I personally think our white needles look the best on everything (except for white gauges). They just have a race car/newer car/sports car look and feel to them, ya know? That's my $.02.

Exactly.
the led's that i got are the ones that you recommend from your 6le forum thread. seeing as how the gauges are white i might have no choice but to go with blue needles.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

the led's that i got are the ones that you recommend from your 6le forum thread. seeing as how the gauges are white i might have no choice but to go with blue needles.
Good choice on the LED's, and I just reread your post, I totally missed the white overlay part, lol. I think blue is the champ.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just curious why these little tiny plastic things cost so much? I see that seems to be the going rate in general, but I don't get why. That said, I want to get the blue needles eventually!

Quick Reply: Best way to replace needles on your cluster??