Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help me make my black Formula BLING!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a way shooter, you are correct, but consider I'm talking about using a dual action polisher, not an orbital. Buffing using an abrasive polish and an orbital polish will actually remove clearcoat. That is why they are so risky. The heat they create from their friction damages the paint. Leave it in one place too long or put too much pressure on a compound curve and wham, you've ruined your car by burning through the clearcoat. What a dual action polisher does is it essentially "moves" the paint around a little bit to eliminate the swirl. I use the word "move" for lack of a better word. You could use a mild abrasive like menzerna hundreds of times wih a DA polisher and your clearcoat would be fine. You could stand on a DA polisher for a half hour running at full speed using a polish and you wouldn't burn through the paint - they just dont generate the heat needed to burn through clearcoat.

I wouldn't be harping on this issue so much if I wasn't sure it would work spectacularly. Other guys who've used a Porter Cable DA feel free to chime in here as well.

Tom

Quick Reply: Help me make my black Formula BLING!