Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of like that lowered wing... I may try that on mine
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
If your drive way is sloped enough you can park it with the front facing down and the water won't pool up.
Absolutely no slope to mine.

I'll always miss that car, but won't miss the decklid. People used to ask why my car didnt have the cool looking spoiler they've seen on other T/As.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ula-hatch.html

Read, and with in the post check out the other link referencing the same question.

The gains are there but thats not asking if the performance gains out weigh the look, just saying if there is something to gain for not having the spoiler up so high.

Feel Free to PM JL-ws6, Drag Race Tech Moderator who will be running 8.50 index and know his shiz....

Heck Even Joe O was using this on his car....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...or-overton.jpg
A little off topic, but I don't believe that is a formula hatch on Joe O's car. Looks to be a t/a hatch without the pedestals, just the little brackets at the edges. On topic, I went from the formula hatch to a t/a one and saw no difference on mine performance wise, and there are actually days I miss the low hatch appearance wise.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Keep the TA how it is. It doesnt look bad with the regular spoiler though. If you like plain jane, get a catfish.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless your swapping for back to back runs you may not see a difference since if you go on different days the D/A and a crap load of other factors will weigh in. What Joe O did was take a T/A hatch, cut it down and secure it.

Same concept, no air between the spoiler and hatch. Bet you would have similar results in a wind tunnel with running the smoke over it.... take notice how the extra spoiler raises up and directs the wind to push down on the higher spoiler... downforce!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you guys seen the wingless TA that's floating around this site? I thought it was going to look terrible, but it actually doesn't look bad
Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Without the trans am style hatch the *** end looks like this:

The flow of the rear 1/4s up to the deck is eerily familiar to the firebird.

Which is why I could never own a formula or T/A convertible. I would rather suffer through owning a 2v mustang than have to look at the bloated sunfire *** every day.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

12-21-2008, 11:29 AM #2 Flaring Afro
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

Ive seen pictures of it from a guy who wanted to loose the weight. Our cars need at least a lip spoiler. The way the rear curves down looks weird without. And i think you may need a t/a hatch but not sure.

EDIT:

Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

thats a no go^^
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

I kindof like it.. Im going to take my wing off in a few weeks to remove the pedestals and shave it down a bit.. (hopefully)... Im thinking about integrating a long brakelight underneath it, kindof like the firehawk wing has...
Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I kindof like it.. Im going to take my wing off in a few weeks to remove the pedestals and shave it down a bit.. (hopefully)... Im thinking about integrating a long brakelight underneath it, kindof like the firehawk wing has...
Cool idea about shaving it down a bit. I always thought the TA wing looked good without the center supports too, but you have to do some work to the hatch to make it look right. Post up when you do it.

There is no way I would swap hatches at the track, it is a huge PITA. That's one reason I like the IROC spoiler. It bolts right onto the TA hatch and takes 2 minutes to swap if you want. It might also provide the same mystical performance as a Formula hatch although it is heavier than the stock TA wing setup, so it would be a purely aerodynamic gain...or loss.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say keep the stock T/A hatch. It looks MUCH better than the low rise.

Quick Reply: Formula hatch on t/a?