Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flewbyyou04r1
How did you get it to fit? Did you buy it directly from vfn? I wonder if it could of been a bad batch?
It fits just like the pictures of your hood, I didn't have time to mess with fitment due to me deploying to Iraq. Yes I purchased it directly from VFN in 2009.

Originally Posted by vfntech
Z28/2008 - not sure what your situation is, but can always pm me if you'd like to go over the fitment. Will have you send an overall birdseye view of the hood and I'll need your order info so that I can pull it as well ~
I called and emailed you guys back in 2009 about the issue and was told my car must have been in a prior accident(which is never has) due to the hood not fitting. I don't remember who it was I was talking with but I didn't have time to take a bunch of pictures due to the fact I was deploying to Iraq. The hood was painted and drilled for the Dzus' back in 2009 and has been on the car since. I'm not going to try to mess with fitment due to the fact the Dzus holes won't line up. It's just odd that I had two different hoods on the car (stock WS6 and a stock flat) with no fitment issues.

But like I said I'm done with messing with the hood and I'm having a one off piece made by another company.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about that ~

But please understand this, we have a series of questions that we routinely ask when there are fitment issues with the hoods, because you want to eliminate all possibilities to get to the source of the problem. Asking if the car is in an accident is one of them.

I understand your deployment and sorry it fell right in that time line with you mounting up your hood. Unfortunately when you're left without visuals of the item on the car, you're left asking questions that may not even apply - where as a visual is a one shot do it all - allowing us to see exactly what is going on - corner to corner/front to back - and allowing us to see if it's simply just a troubleshoot issue (which it commonly is) or if it goes into a warranty issue and get it corrected from there.

Roughly about 10 years ago, we didn't have a policy in place where we needed pictures. It was really difficult to determine what was going on in situations like these - taking a stab at something that may or may not work, spending hours on the phone with customers - who of course would feel just as frustrated as us.
Because of this, we started sending instructions along with our hoods and then suggesting that if they need a little more coaching, they can send pictures.
Once we recognized the common questions, our guy put together an entire youtube video demonstrating some of the tricks body shops use to get a factory fit, and charge an arm and leg for.

Last week, we troubleshooted a guy's hood for him - AND IT WASN'T EVEN OUR HOOD. He was upfront about it, and sent a few emails with pictures which allowed us to help him with the adjustments he needed to make, getting the hood to fit correctly.

We're not here to push people off when they have an issue, but there's a reason we need visuals when it comes to things like this - shipping is very expensive for either end and wastes people's time if it's something that can simply be explained thanks to a few snaps of the camera.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Pics will be sent as soon as we r at that stage of the build
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

***********Disclaimer************

I am not a professional auto body worker nor have I had any experience with company in question. I also understand that I don't know all the little details of this but in saying that I'm giving my opinion based off of what I've learned spending so much time reading this thread.

So, with that out of the way, I have to say something after spending all this time reading through this thing. I say this as a non-biased third party, VFN is not Wal-Mart.

To the OP, you have a certain set of circumstances which really make it hard to sympathize. Sometimes you gotta take a look inward and ask if the decisions/choices made were really that smart. I'll tell you one thing, buying a hood and not even fitting it and then complaining about it not weeks or even months but years down the road...not that smart! If I were in the business of manufacturing something where problems could arise with fitment, and was kind enough to offer a 3 month warranty for this and you came up to me. Sorry, tough luck should've taken advantage of the warranty, and to top it off you purchased it used!!! LMAO. C'mon now!!!!

Basically, quit crying. It's not their fault that you waited so long and everything else. Don't get on here bashing them when you made some pretty poor decisions. I don't care what quality of your previous work blah blah blah. This isn't their fault. Had you taken the proper steps and maybe, I don't know, at least fitted the damn thing at sometime around the time you first got it. But even still it was purchased used!!!!

So after saying all this, and getting you red in the face and wanting to fight, you also need to understand that you're not doing business with me and from what I can see here VFN is still willing to help you out. So what if they want you to take some more pictures(on your own time and dime LMAO). If it were me and even given these circumstances and they were still willing to help me out...I'd take as many pictures as humanly possible to get it resolved. Even then if it wasn't taken care of I'd put on my big boy pants and realize that just cause walmart will refund your money on something that was purchased used and 5 years old doesn't mean that everyone has to.

So there you have it. Completely unbiased third party opinion. I'm a consumer. I don't own a business. I wanna side with the private party in almost anything. With your case however, can't do it. Not off of what has been presented in this thread.

Last edited by Unforgiven1; 04-06-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
***********Disclaimer************

I am not a professional auto body worker nor have I had any experience with company in question. I also understand that I don't know all the little details of this but in saying that I'm giving my opinion based off of what I've learned spending so much time reading this thread.

So, with that out of the way, I have to say something after spending all this time reading through this thing. I say this as a non-biased third party, VFN is not Wal-Mart.

To the OP, you have a certain set of circumstances which really make it hard to sympathize. Sometimes you gotta take a look inward and ask if the decisions/choices made were really that smart. I'll tell you one thing, buying a hood and not even fitting it and then complaining about it not weeks or even months but years down the road...not that smart! If I were in the business of manufacturing something where problems could arise with fitment, and was kind enough to offer a 3 month warranty for this and you came up to me. Sorry, tough luck should've taken advantage of the warranty, and to top it off you purchased it used!!! LMAO. C'mon now!!!!

Basically, quit crying. It's not their fault that you waited so long and everything else. Don't get on here bashing them when you made some pretty poor decisions. I don't care what quality of your previous work blah blah blah. This isn't their fault. Had you taken the proper steps and maybe, I don't know, at least fitted the damn thing at sometime around the time you first got it. But even still it was purchased used!!!!

So after saying all this, and getting you red in the face and wanting to fight, you also need to understand that you're not doing business with me and from what I can see here VFN is still willing to help you out. So what if they want you to take some more pictures(on your own time and dime LMAO). If it were me and even given these circumstances and they were still willing to help me out...I'd take as many pictures as humanly possible to get it resolved. Even then if it wasn't taken care of I'd put on my big boy pants and realize that just cause walmart will refund your money on something that was purchased used and 5 years old doesn't mean that everyone has to.

So there you have it. Completely unbiased third party opinion. I'm a consumer. I don't own a business. I wanna side with the private party in almost anything. With your case however, can't do it. Not off of what has been presented in this thread.

Lmao! Nice! It wasn't fitted because I had 13 screws an 8 inch plate and 7 surgeries on my ankle. Making my house payment was a little more important than building a race car. Bashing them wasn't my intentions looking for a quality hood was.. They will get pictures when I'm ready and at that point of the build, as I would rather get this fitted than spend 1000 on a joe van o or now known as cynergy.. My concern is with the fit ment and how it may "shrink" more with the set up I have ie. twin 88mm turbos and there argument as in weather conditions or storage temp of this hood. I would want nothing more than it to work! Weather it was 2 hours or 2 decades the hood was stored at room temp supported at all areas, i appreciate there help and hope it works out and if it does I will totally let everyone know how great help they were.. If after all there help and criticism it dont fit, I will be buying a new hood and as stated it won't be a vfn hood..
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Teching In

I just bought a 4in pin on hood extended to the windshield from Glasstek and it doesnt even come close to lining up with my car. The hood is so wide it actually sets on my fenders and the front overlaps my headlights by an inch or so. So I would avoid the glasstek hoods as well.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

I just got the whole front end assembled, pics sent to jean, and vfn stated its no big deal.. I am waiting on them to tell me how to adjust it, maybe they know a bunch of tricks that we have not tried.. All in all they are helping to hopefully solve this issue.. If what they say don't work it is either back to the drawing board on a hood or maybe fly there installer out here.. Everything is tbd.. I would rather have extra material as sits much easier to remove and align with more material than to have to add material..
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

pin-on hoods are such a hassle.

anyone wanting to trade a bolt-on 93-97 camaro cowl hood for a 4" glasstek pin-on hood? been trying to get rid of it since i bought it.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 417LSX
I just bought a 4in pin on hood extended to the windshield from Glasstek and it doesnt even come close to lining up with my car. The hood is so wide it actually sets on my fenders and the front overlaps my headlights by an inch or so. So I would avoid the glasstek hoods as well.
Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly
pin-on hoods are such a hassle.

anyone wanting to trade a bolt-on 93-97 camaro cowl hood for a 4" glasstek pin-on hood? been trying to get rid of it since i bought it.
Ya it has been boiling my blood! I have seen plenty of pin on hoods that look great! I never knew that there was this much work into getting them to fit right.. Hopefully they can get it figured out for me..
Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on the car,wow ya know i cant believe some people on tech, ya got something that you had issues with and your a cry baby lol,,,, i just thought to myself what an ***, well op i hope the car is coming along good, keep me posted
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Bobby the car looks great!! Hopefully the hood issue can get resolved..
Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

I believe we came to an agreement with vfn, I am ordering a hood from them brand new. Which they gave me a great deal on. Hopefully I will not have any issues with this one, if I do i hope its minimal which is expected.. Jean has been great and I will be a man and apologize due to my anger.. I want to thank everyone for there support and I will let everyone know the outcome! Thanks again to everyone!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

I really appreciate that!! Thanks!!

Just as a reminder, should you decide to sell the hood you have now, you may wish to let the buyer know that he will have some work to do to make it fit. It's not so much work that a guy who knows body work can't do...and who is looking to pickup a good bargain won't do ~ But, the hood hasn't been under warranty for a few years now and they should know that ~

Thanks again!! ~
Jeanie
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

KUDOS to the OP and sponsor for getting this right. Dont see that happen to much these days
Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im waiting on my new engine to be finished up and as soon as its done I planned on getting a VFN hood for my car. I sure hope it fits better than what I reading. I do this for a living and have paid a lot of money for glass hoods..and had a few in that needed a little work but nothing like cutting INCHES out of to make fit . If I pay $500-600 for a 10lb sheet of glass that fits like ***...someones going to hear about it. Makes me really think twice about switching intakes..
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Just keep in mind that the guy who is " cutting INCHES out of to make fit " his hood is another companies product not ours , and the guy who initially started the thread bought his hood used and had it for 4 years before making us aware of the problem.

We do have a 30 day warranty on our items. And we not only make our parts here, but install them (by appointment only) for local customers...which allows us to become very familiar with the fit and finish, and what is needed to mount the hoods to the cars.

We sell a lot of these items - many to members here on the forums (thank you!) - and IF we get any concerns, I'd say about 99% of those can be squared away with a little trouble shooting - minor adjustments. There is not a lot of body work needed on our parts, nor do you have to add extra to make it work - although, now with the used hood that was in storage for several years, this may be the case, (yes, storage is a major factor on how a fiberglass hood will shape as it cures, esp with a pin on style with a large scoop)...which is why I wanted to mention this to Vito should he put the hood up for sale - make someone aware that they will need to do some work to this used item...and that it has not been under warranty in several years - although we did hook him up with a good deal on the sloped, which I believe the style he was after anyways...it gives better visibility rather then coming straight back to the windshield...and is our more popular design ~

Last edited by vfntech; 06-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

VFN is one of the most professional companies I have ever dealt with. Best hoods for Fbodies in the world IMO.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Im glad things got resolved. I wouldnt expect many companies to honor a 4 year old purchase that was bought through a third party. Thats customer service for ya
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Im waiting on my new engine to be finished up and as soon as its done I planned on getting a VFN hood for my car. I sure hope it fits better than what I reading. I do this for a living and have paid a lot of money for glass hoods..and had a few in that needed a little work but nothing like cutting INCHES out of to make fit . If I pay $500-600 for a 10lb sheet of glass that fits like ***...someones going to hear about it. Makes me really think twice about switching intakes..
I just got one from them earlier this year and got it to fit pretty good within an hour and i have almost no experience with body work.

its not perfect by any means, but im happy with it, at least til i get it painted and then ill spend some more time with it.

Quick Reply: adjustments