Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

*PICS* Look what I found when I was drying my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines doing the same thing. My car is a 98 with 63,000 miles. I used to work at a chevy dealer and i couldn't even get GM to take care of this for me. If you are not too far out of warranty then you may be able to get something done about it, take it to your local dealer and see what they tell you about it. If they are not willing to help you out then about the only other thing you could try doing is call 1-800-chev-usa and see if they will do anything about it. Sometimes when vehicles are slightly out of warranty they will still cover the problem for you or arrange a 50/50 payment. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

I have bubbles in my paint, but they're not on the roof, they're on the rear bumper.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep common problem with f-bodies I had mine replaced under warranty last month on my 01 Z, my boss had his on Z replaced last month and my fiance had hers replaced 4 months ago all under warranty. Since this is a known issue with GM f-bodies it should be covered even out of warranty.

Sean
Old 03-28-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01pewter2001z28
Since this is a known issue with GM f-bodies it should be covered even out of warranty.

Sean
that is what i was thinking... i printed up 3 different packets of info on this so they know I have done my research... i mean, its not my fault this this popped up AFTER my warranty.... you know? i mean if they give me BS then could i take them to small claims court? i read where someone else had done that and got what they wanted from GM.... or would it be worth the trouble?
Old 03-28-2004, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
that is what i was thinking... i printed up 3 different packets of info on this so they know I have done my research... i mean, its not my fault this this popped up AFTER my warranty.... you know? i mean if they give me BS then could i take them to small claims court? i read where someone else had done that and got what they wanted from GM.... or would it be worth the trouble?
Well if you don't get it taken care of soon the bubbles will get bigger and eventually your paint will start peeling off.

So I would say it would be worth the doing what you are planning to do. Just make sure that you start off being very polite and concerned.

Many have found out that if you go in all pissed off that they won't help you. Then if they don't do anything I would constantly complain to chevy customer care and let them know about the TSB, and all the people that have this problem and you know people that are getting this covered because it was not properly prepped at the manufacturing level.

Good Luck
Old 03-28-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it that I've never heard anyone talk about this, then I see this post and not a week later I'm washing my car and see the same thing luckily I still have a few months left under warranty so I'll just get it fixed soon. Talked to a dealer here they said they would get the part and paint it, then I can just drop my car off for them to swap out, shouldnt take more than a day.....well see though
Old 03-28-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

like wear a low cut shirt i can do that to get my car fixed... most of those guys there are nasty and horny.... hahahahahaha

Yeah that sounds good, I know Ill be using my friend when I take my car up to the dealer next time. She can sweet talk her way out of paying for anything.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:52 AM
On The Tree

Join the crowd, mine's doin' that too. I guess i'll see about getting it fixed when i'm
through modding. I doubt they'll do much about it-i'm way out warranty.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Launching!

That TSB states that the problem is on the 99-2002. I have a 98 and I have those bubbles on mine. It's not bad as your's but I do have them. My car is way out of warranty, 3 years / 60k out so I doupt they'd do anything with mine.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob98Z
That TSB states that the problem is on the 99-2002. I have a 98 and I have those bubbles on mine.
Is yours a late 1998 buid date? The reason I ask is that I have a very early build date: Aug 1997, and I'm wondering if the problem is just concentrated on 1999-2000 cars. Or is that where statistically most of the problems are occuring.

Tony
Old 03-29-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard that black cars often do this becuase of the heat transfer from the sun/UV rays and such...Any input?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

i called the chevy customer service line and she told me that if the chevy place diagnosed this as a defect, they would fix this for me....

but since i am the second owner and out of warranty, i might have trouble...

but on the other hand, she said, that the chevy place has nothing to lose, she has that GM pays them to fix it, so it could go either way!...
Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem with my 99 Z/28. I have the bubbles and some lines starting to develop in the roof. I worked at my local chevy dealer for a while so maybe, I'll get lucky and they'll fix it. Thanks for posting the bulliten XuhQshinR.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Well...I was comming on to look for any info on bubbles in paint today for this very reason (didnt have to look far). I noticed the problem a few weeks ago but figured it was just sap on the paint. today I notced it was under the clearcoat. I talked with Chevy in regards to this today and they refered me to Showcase Chevrolet. I have an appointment to go in on thurs morning to have mine looked at. As far as I'm concerned I wont have satisfaction unless the b-pillar is replace free of charge and I get a rental car to use for however long it takes. Seeing as how the repair will cost over $2000.00, if Chevy isnt willing to do this then I will be going straight to a lawyer as this is a vehicle defect caused by GM.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Good luck. I got turned down on mine without even having anyone look
at it. Took it up with chevy's customer service, no luck. I've got a friend
with a cousin on the inside now, but doesn't look any better for getting mine
fixed.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28PHREAK
Seeing as how the repair will cost over $2000.00, if Chevy isnt willing to do this then I will be going straight to a lawyer as this is a vehicle defect caused by GM.
i have already spoke with one and i will be doing the same i mean my car is in PERFECT shape other than that....

i went to the nearest GM place today and they couldn't rule it one because i need to bring it to one that has a body shop... so he couldn't TECHNICALLY say that it was a defect, but my dad asked him from what he knew about it from what we had told him if he would consider it one and he said MOST DEFINATLY...

so we are going to have to see what happens I will keep you posted...
Old 03-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Teching In

i have already spoke with one and i will be doing the same i mean my car is in PERFECT shape other than that....

i went to the nearest GM place today and they couldn't rule it one because i need to bring it to one that has a body shop... so he couldn't TECHNICALLY say that it was a defect, but my dad asked him from what he knew about it from what we had told him if he would consider it one and he said MOST DEFINATLY...

so we are going to have to see what happens I will keep you posted...
If they give me the run around that I'm expecting on thursday....I'll post up on this board. Anybody know the # of people that It takes to start a class action lawsuit? I figure that since most of us will probably get the shaft....we should probably band together in any type of legal action. Its kind of hard for GM to say that its an isolated incedent or the fault of the owner if they are being sued by a gang of people with the same issue with a faulty product.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28PHREAK
If they give me the run around that I'm expecting on thursday....I'll post up on this board. Anybody know the # of people that It takes to start a class action lawsuit? I figure that since most of us will probably get the shaft....we should probably band together in any type of legal action. Its kind of hard for GM to say that its an isolated incedent or the fault of the owner if they are being sued by a gang of people with the same issue with a faulty product.
thats a great idea... let me do some research
Old 03-29-2004, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 67SS&99Z28
I have the same problem with my 99 Z/28. I have the bubbles and some lines starting to develop in the roof. I worked at my local chevy dealer for a while so maybe, I'll get lucky and they'll fix it. Thanks for posting the bulliten XuhQshinR.
No Problemo!

We are all family here and helping each other is what we do best!

More people have helped me here that I can count!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 PM
PR Director

I had the same thing happen to my car. Luckily i had 2 weeks left on my warrenty when I took it in to replace. The service guy told me it was a good thing that I came in when I did because I would have had to pay $1000 for the piece and repaint. I think thats total horse ****.

Quick Reply: *PICS* Look what I found when I was drying my car!!!