Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

*PICS* Look what I found when I was drying my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
Is yours a late 1998 buid date? The reason I ask is that I have a very early build date: Aug 1997, and I'm wondering if the problem is just concentrated on 1999-2000 cars. Or is that where statistically most of the problems are occuring.

Tony
Yes - it has a build date of June
Old 03-30-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would be down. my car has 40,000 miles on it now and its been doing this for a long time. i asked dealer about it and they didnt give any answer or document me complaining. but they should fix this

anyone in houston find a good place to fix it? i think champion chevrolet by my house will give me the run around

i would definantly be down for a class action
Old 03-30-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok.... UPDATE:

I went to get a chevy dealership to look at the problem... when I was explaining this, he said he definatly had heard of this.. he walked outside and looked and ruled it as a defect...

he said that what it was was the adhesive makes the paint react and in some cases the roof panal will get loose and eventually come off if not fixed...

he got all my car info (yr-1999, miles-52,xxx) and explained that I was out of warranty... bla bla bla... he called the lady I had spoken with at Chevy Customer Service and gave her my technical service bulletin number that I brought, and told her that in fact it was exactly what was stated in there...

she asked him for an estimate price for parts and labor to fix this.... they got off of the phone and he said that if they weren't considering fixing it, they wouldn't have even bothered asking for an estimate.. so he said it is possible that she is going to do this (it is up to the nice lady i spoke with the other day)... he got all the estimates and everything and called her but left her a message...

when i got home from the chevy body shop, i had a message from the lady saying, "I just spoke with so and so at the GM place that inspected your car and I now have the estimates for the parts and we are going to see what we can do for you..." but she said she was now gone for the day...

so i called and left her message and told her i would be contacting her in the morning...

i really hope this works out! the guy said it sounds good and also the lady mentioned that within the last 10 years my family has owned 8 Chevy's (documented in the computer)... so the guy said as bad as that sounds, it might influence their decision....

point is.... IF IF IF IF this comes out right, all i did was... did my research, printed up ANYTHING relevant to this, made copies, called Chevy Customer Service first so it was already documented, went and had the car examined, gave him all the info I had, and now we will see.... and i was polite to EVERYONE i had spoken with...

so i will let you guys know tomorrow morning when I call her... I HOPE this is going to work out... if not... i have a friend at a paint and body shop that might cut me a deal
Old 03-30-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Paint Bubbling

Mine is going in the shop for the same reason tomorrow. I took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they just tried painting it again, but bubbled again. When I originally took it in my car wasnt under warranty so I called GM Satisfaction (800) 222-1020 and they are taking care of it.

Originally Posted by slow
$500+ for the roof piece, plus paint.

a frineds 2000 black WS6 is doing this too.

Ryan
Old 03-31-2004, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

SS Girl...

The lady from Chevrolet you describe sounds like Loraine. If so she is very nice and will do what she can. I will tell you that most times the bottom line decision comes from the District Service Manager for GM that covers your area. (not the local service manager unless the dealership decides to absorb the costs..very unlikely).

It does sound like they are at least doing what they can to convince Chevrolet to assist you with this repair. I wish you luck and sounds like you are doing good on your part with the research and the way you are handling it!

X
Old 03-31-2004, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CODE4LS1
Mine is going in the shop for the same reason tomorrow. I took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they just tried painting it again, but bubbled again. When I originally took it in my car wasnt under warranty so I called GM Satisfaction (800) 222-1020 and they are taking care of it.
They should have known better than to repaint it. There is a very good reason why GM's TSB states "TO REPLACE THE ROOF PANEL" and that is because it is no longer a good part to be reused.

The TSB I posted tells them this entire procedure in detail. GM would not spend the $ replacing a part if they could fix it without replacing it. GM likes to hold on tho their $!

At least they are going to make it right to you. Mine is still not done yet as they had to also order the extention pieces (the little black plastic triangles between the window and roof panel). Hopefully it turns out looking good and has no leaks! It didn't leak before and there were definitley no scratches in my car before I took it in. They did call and tell me that it is always kept inside and covered with a protective car cover. I guess they think I am **** about my car?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XuhQshinR
SS Girl...

The lady from Chevrolet you describe sounds like Loraine. If so she is very nice and will do what she can. I will tell you that most times the bottom line decision comes from the District Service Manager for GM that covers your area. (not the local service manager unless the dealership decides to absorb the costs..very unlikely).

It does sound like they are at least doing what they can to convince Chevrolet to assist you with this repair. I wish you luck and sounds like you are doing good on your part with the research and the way you are handling it!

X
well actually the final decision comes from the lady I have been speaking with.... I know the guy at the GM place and he was REAL nice... different from any other experience I have had with GM and I thought that this would be the worst...

anyways... she is going to call me in about an hour, so i will let you know
Old 04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Did you find out anything?

Hope you got good news. I am wishing for you.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i have to pay $220 and they will fix it... i think that is okay with me after hearing all the people that got turned down and since I am out of warranty....
Old 04-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Well I went to the Dealership today and went to to the guy they told me to go see....apparently he was the mechanical service manager...and a real ***** at that. Told me to sit in the waiting room and he would get me when he got finished talking to one of his reps....I waited there an hour then went to see what was going on and he wasnt there......out to lunch. That pissed me off so one of the service reps took me to the paint and body manager who said that his sons SS did the same thing. Said that they would need to replace the roof as per the TSB. He said the final say wasnt up to him but he thinks I wont have to pay due to the warranty on the paint being for 5 years and unlimited miles. He took my info and said he would call me...and If I hadnt heard from him by monday to go ahead and give him a call back.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Just to update.....gave the Manager a call back today and he said he got the ok and mine will be replaced free of charge. He said all I need to do is come in tomorrow morning and sign the work order and they will go ahead and order roof panel. Its good to find someone at GM that I didnt have to to get them to do the right thing.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Teching In

I've started the process today for the same thing. Talked to a service guy who sent me to the body shop who sent me back to the service manager, who wasn't there

The body shop guy said the paint warrenty was only 1 year on our cars, that the corosion coverage was 5 years, and he didn't think this fell under that.

We'll see.

Quick Reply: *PICS* Look what I found when I was drying my car!!!