Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-13-2016, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

How to clean up my headlights? They're cloudy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there real bad you will have to wetsand, i grinded the nipples off since it makes things easier, you can do all that or roll with the depo headlights
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guess which one if the before and which one if the after?

This is after hours and hours of work. It's blowing my mind. I'm far from inept, I do all of my own work, including most paint and body. I can't believe I can't get these clean.

I did just as the instructions said. I started with the drill nice and slow, over and over and over again. Then I got angry and cut the drill loose as fast as it can go and.......

I got exactly the same result.

I doubt these things can pass any light at all.

BOBS99SS
If there real bad you will have to wetsand, i grinded the nipples off since it makes things easier, you can do all that or roll with the depo headlights

I've wetsanded plenty. Once the McGuire's kit didn't get any results I wetsanded until my elbow hurt. I'm pretty sure the lenses are only about half as thick as they were because of all the wetsanding.
Attached Thumbnails How to clean up my headlights? They're cloudy.-headlights.jpg   How to clean up my headlights? They're cloudy.-headlights2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$5 says if you'll take some Gloss Clear Coat and spray on em and let em sit up and dry, they will look ten times better. I did just what you said you did then thought before I ditch em, I'll try the clear coat and after a couple hours later, they look brand new compared to what they did before. Try and see since your already talking about throwing them out that way if for some odd chance it doesn't work, your still in the same boat and didn't mess up a perfectly good set.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

what grit of paper did you use?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Dont sand! Use this!
http://www.acrylicwerks.com/
This stuff is amazing! It cleans up headlights 95% of time! Some cars have a tephlon coating on the head lights but i think it is only Ford. This stuff works!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Near San Marcos and New Braunfels.
I was going to say bring it by the shop and I would take a crack at it, but that is a bit far for you, I would guess..

What grit of paper did you finish with? What did you polish out with after the paper?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
$5 says if you'll take some Gloss Clear Coat and spray on em and let em sit up and dry, they will look ten times better. I did just what you said you did then thought before I ditch em, I'll try the clear coat and after a couple hours later, they look brand new compared to what they did before. Try and see since your already talking about throwing them out that way if for some odd chance it doesn't work, your still in the same boat and didn't mess up a perfectly good set.
It's worth a shot. I will try this tonight. Just buy some rattle can clear coat?

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
what grit of paper did you use?
The kit came with 1000 and 3000.

Originally Posted by Atdc94
Dont sand! Use this!
http://www.acrylicwerks.com/
This stuff is amazing! It cleans up headlights 95% of time! Some cars have a tephlon coating on the head lights but i think it is only Ford. This stuff works!
Too late.

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I was going to say bring it by the shop and I would take a crack at it, but that is a bit far for you, I would guess..

What grit of paper did you finish with? What did you polish out with after the paper?
Thank you for the offer. I wish I was closer to Cypress.

1000 and 3000, then used the McGuire's polisher and Plast-X that the kit came with.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

I used the turtle wax kit and it did pretty good. Left a slight haze. The other day I clay barred the car and thought why not try the headlights. They look great. The clay bar took off the little haze that was left.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Internet Mechanic

Half the issue is most times you need a rotary buffer with a wool pad to get sanding marks out and most people have at best a D/A or a Elec drill that has only one speed. The heat and speed is what helps correct major defects. When you introduce uniform scratches, the compound and buffing pad are what dictate how the scratches level out.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

The best kit hands down is the 3M kit at Walmart found next to the sandpaper in the tool isle. Every other kit there (mothers,turtle wax etc.) works but not as well and takes twice the time. The 3M kit is best used with an electric drill (be prepared to go through some batteries if not) and was able to restore my 12 year old headlights to almost new in about 30 min a light. I would advise taking the light out of the car and putting it in a vice if available. heres what you want.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Headlig...n-Kit/13023890
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I used the stuff Wal-Mart sales and about once a month, I'll take and put some wax on mine just to help them from turning back clowdy.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

My dad owns a body shop and he did my headlights on my old 98 camaro and what did was he sanded the tail lights dwn they looked all cloudy it looked worsed I was going nuts then he threw clear in the paint booth then he sanded them with fine sand paper then a buffer and looked new by little bro now owns the car 3yrs later still looked good
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Banned

I tried something similar to the OP. Bought a Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit and put it on my car. Spent over 40 minutes rubbing the sand paper on the headlights, until my arm felt like it was going to fall off. My headlights ended up even cloudier than before. I was really disappointed with the results. Altogether I've probably spent close to $40 in headlight restoration supplies, after this I finally gave up.

Went out and bought some whistlered depo headlights, should be in within 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to put them on, should dramatically improve the car's image.

Quick Reply: How to clean up my headlights? They're cloudy.